Rainy Running

OK..so its a rainy Wednesday morning here in Pennsylvania and its not supposed to get any better all day. I am scheduled for a 4-5 mile run today and I WILL do it no matter how wet and/or muddy the trails will be! Who else says "SCREW THE RAIN!" and is headed out anyway for their outdoor cardio?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    you think i'm going to let mother nature tell me when i can and can't work out?

ppl that use the weather as an excuse not to go outside and get a work out in are just weak, and letting outside forces affect them.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    just got back from my rainy and soggy cold run! :-) loved every minute of it.... even if i am tapering for my marathon.... still gotta get out there!!!! :-) it's a nice change of scenery.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Although I really haven't yet (I've gotten really lucky), I'm planning on 6 miles tomorrow and it's supposed to rain here in Michigan. I just scored some new cold weather gear at TJ Maxx for a great price in the last few weeks so I'll be testing that out. Hopefully I can find a love for the weather because after this summer there's NO way I'm getting back on the treadmill!!!! Will be looking at Yak Trax for winter too....
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    I'll be out there after work...rainy weather is my favorite kind of running weather, makes me go faster.
    Plus it gives you "hard core" status for a day or so. :-) Have a great run!
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Its been raining here all day in Germany but have given up on the sun coming out to play and am heading out right now! Could be worse, it could be hailing!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I am right there with you. I did a 3 mile run in the rain. I love it. People may think I am crazy but I am just determined and love running in the rain.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    I went yesterday in the rain...I find it relaxing :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Weather has no effect on my running. I actually love to run in the rain, did a 4 miler in torrential downpours with the winds gusting 30mph yesterday. Also one of my fastest training runs ever since it wasn't 80 with the sun beating down on me (for once). Love!

But honestly, I hate when people use the elements as an excuse not to run. I've run through some pretty adverse conditions and always feel like a badass, but is it never going to rain (or snow) during one of my races? You won't catch me complaining or skipping one because of it!
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    I LOVE running in the rain! :)
    It makes me feel better!

Enjoy your run! ;)
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    I've just started my C25k programme and on the 1st day (monday) it rained but that didn't stop me! it is cold but the sun is out so hoping it stays like this so i can go out later for my 2nd day :D
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    you callin me weak engineman?? :angry:
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    I love running in the rain! make me run harder, and think less about my hurting body :) however, wind is a different issue lol
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Will be looking at Yak Trax for winter too....

these......... are a must. you will seriously feel like a mountain goat.

to OP, I lifted this morning, but i do run in all kinds of weather. however i am a pansy when cold and rain are combined. Cold? Sure. Rain? no problem. Cold and rain? Hmm... not my favorite, I'll go get sweaty on BOB (affectionate name for my treadmill) ;)

fist bump, go get offa your computer and run like a man!
  • Well, I didn't run in the rain, but I did take my dogs for a 40 minute walk in the rain. I did run last night in the drizzle. :bigsmile:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    I sit at a desk all day and I run during my lunch hour. When it's my day to run, I don't care if it's raining or sunny outside, I don't miss my run. I have a fan on my desk that dries me out if needed.
    I find it easier to run in the rain. I can run farther and faster than when in the sun.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    I like running in the cold...I like running in the rain...I do not like running in the cold rain. I get a chill all the way to the bone & will not warm up for hours.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Monday's run was in the rain. Fitness camp tonite will most likely be in the rain.

Lightning is pretty much the only thing I let keep me from doing outside exercise.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    I love reading all of these responses!

My longest run ever was 15 miles and it was in the worst rains ever but it was at the beach and it was warmer out so it was awesome! I felt so good afterwards. My fastest times have also been in the rain. I guess I think I like the raining, but my mind makes me go faster to hurry and get out of the rain! Who knows, but I cant wait for this afternoon to go running. Like others have stated, my wife freaks if I am running in the woods during a lightning storm...not a good idea.

What doesn't kill us, maeks us stronger.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be. ~ John Wooden
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I ran in the rain a few weeks ago and it was awesome.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    I love reading all of these responses!

My longest run ever was 15 miles and it was in the worst rains ever but it was at the beach and it was warmer out so it was awesome! I felt so good afterwards. My fastest times have also been in the rain. I guess I think I like the raining, but my mind makes me go faster to hurry and get out of the rain! Who knows, but I cant wait for this afternoon to go running. Like others have stated, my wife freaks if I am running in the woods during a lightning storm...not a good idea.

What doesn't kill us, maeks us stronger.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be. ~ John Wooden

that sounds like a serious high, beach running in the rain?! i think we feel like badarsses to run in "extreme" weather, I love running in the snow because of this. I ran in the snow (about 18"), while it was still coming down, in the dark, it was the best run of my life. Roads weren't plowed so it was clear, cold, crisp, a great challenge, and i felt crazy. My husband looked at me with admiration when I came in the door with frost on my eyelashes, like a female Yeti. I was all stinky and unshaven underneath, but he didn't know that :-D hah. It was the rarity of it that made it special I think.

Again, go you!!!!!! :)