So what do you eat on a no carb diet?

Options
I've seen a couple ppl post about no carbs for a week or two but what do you eat that has no carbs? Im pretty much eating what I want now just watching my size of portion and exercising almost every day but really pushing myself 3/4 days a week.

Replies

• ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A proper diet is all about balance, and no carbs is definitely not balanced. I wouldn't do it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A proper diet is all about balance, and no carbs is definitely not balanced. I wouldn't do it.

I agree with this, but since that wasn't OP's question, I would answer: Protein and Fat.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Oh I like to eat my shoes, sometimes my fingers, and occasionally an organ if I'm feeling ballsy enough to attempt a self-ectomy.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I agree with this, but since that wasn't your question, I would answer: Protein and Fat.

Hahahahaha that was a great answer
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have had success on a low carb diet. Around 100 grams a day. Lean meats, chicken, fish. Bright vegetables. Cheese. Small amount of nuts. Good oils. Whole wheat bread(1 a day), 1 fruit a day. small amount of dark chocolate. lots and lots of water.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I can't really eat carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) because of my stomach problems. I pretty much eat as many veggies and fruits as I want and make sure that I add a lot of fat into my diet, such as avocados, almonds, coconut butter and drizzle a tablespoon of grapeseed oil on my chicken and vegetables at dinner every night (I can also only eat chicken and fish for my main sources of protein). Some people just can't eat carbs, but nobody can survive on just protein. The fat helps keep everything balanced for me.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oh I like to eat my shoes, sometimes my fingers, and occasionally an organ if I'm feeling ballsy enough to attempt a self-ectomy.

I am fairly certain your shoes contain carbs :)

To the OP: Really not a whole lot of no-carb options, just meats and fats. I have had a couple stints with gestational diabetes and learned to eat LOW-carb. As a runner, I believe carbs just get a bad rap. They are not the enemy, we just have to be smart about choosing healthy, complex carbs.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    A proper low carb diet should consist of some protein, a little dairy, but mostly vegetables.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My dietician has said a no- or low-carb diet for a couple of weeks is fine. It gets your body ramped up for losing weight, apparently. But you shouldn't go any longer than that because you'll deprive your muscles and bones of much-needed nutrients.

If you are going no-carb, which means no fruit, it's super tough. I ate a ton of chicken, elk/deer meat, eggs, low-fat cheese, and vegetables. No sugar sauces (like ketchup) saved me many times.

If you're going low-carb, which would include fruits, try to eat low-carb fruits like berries. Also, try not to eat these items in isolation; they can spike your blood sugar just a bit which is what you're trying to stabilize during a low-carb routine.
  • los4825
    Options
    I do very low carb occasionally when I party too much on the weekend :) here's what I eat for a couple of days to get back to my routine...

eggs
    low sodium ham
    cheese
    steak
    chicken
    seafood
    whey protein
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! You will lose weight at first but then once you lose the weight and hit a plateau you will start to gain all of that weight back and maybe more.... but if you kind of want to go that route... just cut out simple carbs... these are the ones that makes you fat.. Sweets, soda's, white bread, white rice, pasta, spaghetti.... that kind of stuff, you want to eat things with fiber such as fruits and vegetables, foods with whole grains in them.... 100% whole wheat products, cereals high in fiber like the FIberone cereal has 13g of fiber... etc... If you leave out fiber and whole grains in your diet, and all of those vitamins and nutrients your metabolism will come to a hault after a few weeks and try to search for thsoe vitamins and nutrients from elsewhere... I am a personal trainer and have dealt with clients on no carb diets, they all lose at first, but then all gain back the weight, so DONT DO IT!!!! also eat lean proteins baked fish, baked chicken, turkey from the deli and not sandwich meat.... tunafish, eggs, oatmeal, 1% or less in m ilk... if you eat those things you will lose weight!! No fried foods or fast food :)
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you read the latest Atkins book if you're going to do it right. Your body does need carbs. You just have to be smarter about which carbs you take in and in moderation. My wife and I have been doing Atkins, per doctor recommendation, since May of this year - we're both down 50lbs - I am down two pant sizes and no longer have the threat of pre-diabetes showing up in my bloodwork. Private message me if you have questions or need a link to somewhere to order the book.

It's imperative you read the book before starting - not only so you do it right but also so you understand why the body reacts the way it does, especially with an American style diet. It was hard the first two weeks but it's a lifestyle change and after the first few days - it got easier and easier - especially after watching the numbers on the scale drop and clothes not fitting any more.

Weight Watchers is also moving more towards a lower carb approach except they say you can eat all the fruit that you want.

As far as what we eat - we eat meats, cheese, seafood (not fried), veggies, salads, fruits, peanuts, etc.
    The good thing is, when doing the diet correctly, you are rarely ever hungry. My wife has found some awesome recipes on the Atkins site so we can still have pancakes with sugar free syrup (still good!) and sugar free desserts. I'm hoping she'll make the low carb pizza soon - that's the biggest thing I miss on this diet. When we reach our goal weights we can have those foods again but in limited moderation.

The reason a lot of people gain the weight back is because they go back to their old diet after they reach or get close to their goal - or they stall on weight loss so they get discouraged. We haven't lost any weight for the past month but our clothes are still getting looser so we know we're still making progress. Of course we haven't really gotten on a regular exercise plan with this diet - had we done that, we'd be much closer to our goal weights.

We have a hard time doing diet and exercise together - we've done one or the other but have never gotten to the point of doing both religiously yet. That's something I am working towards now.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Pretty much nothing. Your body NEEDS carbs. Try a balance rather then cutting it out all together.
  • UABUncleSam
    Options
    This is about the Paleo Diet, which states caveman diet. Meat!!!l; however it explains the inner workings of the diet and why it works so well along with the health benefits that we should already have if we were truly eating correctly. Take a look, it can't hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Never go NO carb, Low carb though can be healthy. Go to the atkins website www.atkins.com and check out the induction food list. Atkins diet rocks!! :)
  • stefdye
    stefdye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is it all carbs, or mainly gluten that you can't eat. Fruits and vegetables do have carbs, usually in the form of fructose, but carrots and bananas particularly are starches.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I feel like you don't understand nutrition. Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are what make up our bodies. Our WHOLE bodies. Out liver, our skin, our teeth, our eyes. All these things need ALL THREE macronurtients to exist and be healthy. You can't just cut out an entire macronutrient from your diet.

INSTEAD, reduce your intake of SIMPLE carbs like white bread, white rice, and refined sugar (junk food). Eat more whole grain. Brown rice, triscuits, whole grain breads and cereals.

Besides, if you cut out carbs completely you'll get no-carb death-breath.
  • stefdye
    stefdye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, your brain can't work without carbs. Especially important in the morning.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    A good balance of Meat, veggies, dairy, some fruit hardly any processed carbs (no bread/pasta), all my carbs come from fruits and veggies. I eat around 100g carbs a day and am seeing success.

if you are serious about it look into the primal or paleo diet, they aer both very informative and might help you decide.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have had success on a low carb diet. Around 100 grams a day. Lean meats, chicken, fish. Bright vegetables. Cheese. Small amount of nuts. Good oils. Whole wheat bread(1 a day), 1 fruit a day. small amount of dark chocolate. lots and lots of water.

Great answer! This is not only low carb but very healthy and not a fad diet like the no carb. You will lose weight and maintain your health.