Excersise at home

Options
Does anyone have any tips on getting the cardio and strength training at home. I have no type of exercerise equipment at all as we are struggleing so have no way to get any. i would really appreciate any and all ideas. thanks

Replies

• cindie
    cindie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on getting the cardio and strength training at home. I have no type of exercerise equipment at all as we are struggleing so have no way to get any. i would really appreciate any and all ideas. thanks
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Tae Bo? And it burns 800 calories/1hr. Or even Yoga Rodney Yee/beginners is a good one. Do you have weights? or exercise bands? Those are handy as well...

dd
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Strength training can be pretty cheap. A set of 1 - 5 pound dumbells is around $25. For Cardio, just Google "cardio no equipment". I got lots of hits.
  • bosehexe
    Options
    Hi Cindi, walking is one of the best ways to go. I started out slow and now I am really going at a good pace. It is cheap (nothing) :smile: , all you need is a pair of tennis shoes and you are set.,you can do it anytime, with family and friends or all by yourself. For strength training, did you know that a gallon of water is 8 pounds. If you have the empty milk jugs you can use those, just fill with water.

Good luck and have fun with it. :flowerforyou:
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    Tae Bo? And it burns 800 calories/1hr. Or even Yoga Rodney Yee/beginners is a good one. Do you have weights? or exercise bands? Those are handy as well...

dd

I have to completely agree!! Tae Bo is pretty good. And so are the BL dvd's. They give you a pretty good workout. The first BL dvd that came out has a 6 week workout plan if that's something you're interested in. I bought mine at Wal-Mart online. Including S&H it came out to like $13 bux or so.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Pop over to the local libray and see if they have video tapes on cardio. This way you can change up rotines and not get board. and Free!!!!
    Not to mention this day and age we have the Google thing that Razboo mentioned.
    Not just for one thing but for many.
    BTW, you can start without buying any weights at all and just use your own weight for your resistance.
    Google Working out when traveling, or working out without weights. and see what you find.
    :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    This is a link to a strength workout from the Women's Health website that just uses your body for resistance so no equipment needed:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/at-home-workouts-0

For cardio, I agree that walking is good, or depending on your fitness level try running instead. Doing these activities outside rather than in the gym on a treadmill can actually be more challenging due to the different terrain you can cover eg sand or gravel (depending on the area where you live of course!)

I am a home workout devotee and I don't feel like I'm missing out!

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

Jen
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How about starting with a simple jogging in place or even marching?
    I jog in place all the time while I watch my fave show.
    I agree with Diann... check your library... can't go wrong with free workout vidz!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Wish Magazine's 20-minute shape-up club is an excellent resource: www.wish.ca .

Also, Shape Magazine has some really good workouts on their site.

I have been incorporating Ana Caban's piltes mat dvd into my fitness routine. I believe it is distributed by a company called Gaiam (www.gaiam.com).

Cardio is a bit tougher. There are exercise videos that will give you a cardio workout as well. Shape recommends a dvd called "The Firm: Total Body Time-Crunch," also available from Gaiam.

I'm also eager to try the NYC ballet workout, which I hear is a good-total body routine that can be done at home.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could turn an old piece of rope or cord into a jump rope... And if you have a stereo you could just dance to the music. That can be a great workout and fun!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindie!

I always like to encourage women to try bellydance...it is for women of all ages and sizes...it gets you intouch with your feminine beauty and muscles and you'll start feeling better about your body from the get go...it is excellent muscle toning and cardio...if you enjoy bellydance it will motivate and inspire you to stick with your goals and desires...in the bellydance community our large women are our Goddesses...bellydance will make you feel so good about yourself and it is so much fun!

You can purchase DVDs on line at buy.com or amazon.com to workout at home or take live classes in your community...my most current DVDs have cost me about $13.

Let me know if you're interested by sending me a friend request so we can keep intouch via the messaging system.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • EmilyGrace1981
    EmilyGrace1981 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are so many workout dvd's out there!!!You can get a lot of them very inexpensive at wal-mart. I love Tae Bo, but there are walking, areobics, dancing ect... Get a few and change it up!!! :bigsmile:
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definitely walk. It's one of the best and easiest things you can do for your body. If you have stairs or can find some, use them! Dumbbells can be really cheap and you don't need a whole set, just enough to get started. Also at Target and Walmart there are great dvds for little money. I have taebo, yoga, dance, and belly dancing dvds lol. All of those are great ways to get moving. You could buy a small trampoline, I don't think they're too much. Jumping on that for 30 minutes is awesome! You can do pushups, run in place, situps, dips with chairs, lunges, Heck you really don't even need weights, just fill up some water bottles and use those! There are lots of ways! Hope that helped a little.

:heart: Kelsey