Help With a Research Paper on Fad Diets

Options
2»

Replies

• sxy4suma
    Options
    BMR isn't 'how much an average person would burn in a day with normal activity,' it's 'how much would be burned if that person was essentially in a coma.' Your estimation of how much an average person would burn in an average day is off, thus throwing off the rest of your calculations.

Okay now that I have rethought this what you are saying makes since. This is all so confusing to me. So when I do the math at 2000 calories that is a 10,500 calorie defficet which is 3 lbs a week instead of my original thought of 1.5 ish.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Read this.. This should help with some solid info.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    How do we know they wouldn't have lost just as much by eating the 500 calories alone?

Well, I for one have done the 500 calories per day with and without the HCG.

Without the HCG I barely lasted 3 days due to starving and rumbles in my stomach and constantly feeling like I wanted to throw up. I only lost a pound or 2 this way also.

Taking the HCG injection that my doctor prescribed to me I was never hungry and sometimes had to force myself to eat. I did 2 rounds of HCG and lost 38 pounds last year that I kept off.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    BMR isn't 'how much an average person would burn in a day with normal activity,' it's 'how much would be burned if that person was essentially in a coma.' Your estimation of how much an average person would burn in an average day is off, thus throwing off the rest of your calculations.

Correct. It would be better if you used the TDEE system which accounts for activity level instead.
  • CrzyAte
    CrzyAte Posts: 55
    Options

Nice Read!!!
  • CrzyAte
    CrzyAte Posts: 55
    Options

Double post
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year my daughter did the HCG diet and lost 52 pounds, I was against it after reading up on it on the internet...I started a program of using my elliptical machine for 40 minutes 6 days a week, and a well balanced diet of about 1200 calories, well minus the work out calories I'd say we were about even, like I said she lost 52 and my weight loss, oh yeah, a great 2 pounds!!! At 57 nothing seemed to get the weight moving, I am very active have a very physical job and am in good health eat healthy, just overweight!!
    Out of desperation I finally gave in and said I too would try the HCG, well in 45 days I have lost 30 pounds and did not lose my energy. My husband who has been a body builder most of his adult life also then did a quick round and lost the extra body fat around his middle, not his muscle. I was simply going to give it a try to show how it did not work...but that did not happen.
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    to maintan there weight an average woman at 200 pounds would be eating in the 2000 of calorie range
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year my daughter did the HCG diet and lost 52 pounds, I was against it after reading up on it on the internet...I started a program of using my elliptical machine for 40 minutes 6 days a week, and a well balanced diet of about 1200 calories, well minus the work out calories I'd say we were about even, like I said she lost 52 and my weight loss, oh yeah, a great 2 pounds!!! At 57 nothing seemed to get the weight moving, I am very active have a very physical job and am in good health eat healthy, just overweight!!
    Out of desperation I finally gave in and said I too would try the HCG, well in 45 days I have lost 30 pounds and did not lose my energy. My husband who has been a body builder most of his adult life also then did a quick round and lost the extra body fat around his middle, not his muscle. I was simply going to give it a try to show how it did not work...but that did not happen.

I'm not saying the HCG was what worked or didn't work, but did you try it at 500 calories without the HCG, or, at your normal calories with the HCG. If it were the HCG, then why can't you eat normal and take the HCG and lose weight?

How about when you go back to eating normal?
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    More recent protocols for the diet have now upped their calorie intake to 800 calories and have added things like Greek style yogurt and eggs. They say their studies have shown better results with just a few more calories. There are 4 phases to the plan, the last two ( no HCG involved) have you adding back healthy food choices and basically seeing how your body does adding back to a normal calorie intake with all healthy options for example, sprouted bread rather than whole wheat. As with any plan, the long term outlook t is only as effective as the person is with their eating style.. For me personally it's still early, but I was able to do the next phase of maintenance without any weight gain, in fact I lost 2 additional pounds, so hopefully there was something to the reseting of my metabolism. Hopes this helps with your study.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I know someone how did HGC (without the HGC!!). Her doctor recommended it to her, and he told her she could do the diet portion without the shots/ drops. She said it was just a placebo of sorts and really didn't do anything at all, it was just a ploy to sell it. Anyways, I know she did exercise while on the diet, she would do some hardcore workouts like running and the such. She did tell me though, that she didn't follow it perfectly all the time, she would "cheat" whenever she went out to eat, she would get a grilled chicken salad (which is still healthy, but goes over the 500 cal a day.) So i do agree with the responses that some may be due to exercise calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    OP lemme help you out

HCG injections do nothing for weight loss and homeopathic drops do less than nothing

Stein et al. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Lijesen et al. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.

"There is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

also see JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):185-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977