Is it true that Muscle weights more than Fat?

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Put a pound of muscle on a scale. Now, put a pound of fat on a scale. Do they not both weigh a pound? Think about it.

I can't believe how many people don't understand this EXTREMELY SIMPLE concept. Obviously a pound of something is the same weight as a pound of something else. What we mean when we say muscle is heavier than fat is that if you take a piece of fat, and then take a piece of muscle of the same SIZE, the muscle weighs more. THIS IS REALLY REALLY SIMPLE.

It's like if you have a box of feathers, and the same size box of steel, one is heavier. But what you're trying to say is "a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of steel" which would mean that NOTHING IN THE WORLD would be heavier than anything else. The concept of "heavier" would not EXIST with your logic.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Is it true that anvils weigh more than cookies?

Only if the cookies are overcooked.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I was curious because I hear people say oo this week I gained 2lbs but I think its muscle and not fat...

This is called "denial".
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound no matter what the object is... One pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

THAT IS WHAT "HEAVIER" MEANS.

no, that's what "more dense" means.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Is it true that anvils weigh more than cookies?

Cookies? nom nom nom!!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Ok the question has been answered. No sense in beating the horse bloody...
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on here, 1lb of rice is heavier than 1lb of feathers. And a 10lb dumbell is heavier than a 10lb ream of paper.....but that 2nd one might be because a ream of paper is 5lbs, so.......??

Bahahaha! I always think of that thread when this question pops up.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    muscle isn't heavier than fat. muscle is more dense than fat.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    It is possible that you DO have more fat than muscle. I was there once. But because I work out, run and eat a relatively healthy diet I have successfully lost 70 lbs. I have also reduced my body fat and gained more lean muscle mass so that now my body is more lean muscle than fat. Yet, I weigh far less. So, a pound is a pound regardless of whether it is fat, muscle, apples, bananas or cotton balls.
    BUT lean muscle mass takes up less space than fat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound no matter what the object is... One pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

THEN WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK THE WORD "HEAVIER" MEANS?????????????????????

HEAVY IS A SYNONYM OF DENSE.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options
    From what I've read on here, 1lb of rice is heavier than 1lb of feathers. And a 10lb dumbell is heavier than a 10lb ream of paper.....but that 2nd one might be because a ream of paper is 5lbs, so.......??

Bahahaha! I always think of that thread when this question pops up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! And remember kids, a very wiser person once said: Education doesn't make a person smart!...hahahahaha
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* x1,000,000,000,000,000,000
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options

HEAVY IS A SYNONYM OF DENSE.

Are the keys heavier when you use the CAPS LOCK?? Yeah, didn't think so.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    fat-v-muscle.jpg

I like pictures. Muscle is more dense than fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat is the correct way to put it.

I think that's silly. No one ever says rocks are more dense than feathers. They say rocks weigh more than feathers. When you have the same amount of any 2 substances and one is heavier, most people say the heavier substance weighs more.

But however you put it, pretty much everyone knows what you mean. Does anyone REALLY think someone is suggesting that a unit of measure (such as a pound) is heavier than that same unit of measure when they say or ask if muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

No, a pound of fat is the same weight as a pound of muscle. Muscle is denser, not heavier.

Density and weight are not the same thing.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys, I think we got a troll.

The OP has a bunch of topics with the same kind of thing going on. Probably the BB.com guys again.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I was curious because I hear people say oo this week I gained 2lbs but I think its muscle and not fat...

This is called "denial".
    ouch! but LOL!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Wow, only on MFP could we take a simple question like this and turn it into a 2 page thread. Instead of being smartasses and pointing out the obvious 1lb = 1lb argument, why couldn't the first respondent and countless others have answered the question this way: "Well muscle is more DENSE than fat which means 1 cup of muscle will weigh more than 1 cup of fat".

Seriously, can we be somewhat helpful here. Yes the original question was flawed but you all knew what the OP meant to ask so why not be helpful instead of being pedantic and sarcastic.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO. I remember that thread. That was a good one for laughing and crying at the same time!