water water everywhere

Options
I have a question....What is the link between drinking water and losing weight?? I probably don't drink enough water so would like to know the health benefits of upping my consumption...:smile:

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I've upped my water, and I don't know about the actual consumption benefits, but it's added 2000 steps to my daily routine. Between filling my water bottles and going to the bathroom ..

And I don't know how true it is, it's probably negligible, but I heard cold water can burn about 100 calories if you drink over a gallon a day.

also, if your kidneys do not stay hydrated, the liver has to help them... which is bad.. because the liver is supposed to be metabolizing fat.

*edit*
    and of course it helps control my hunger.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Often what our bodies register as hunger is really just thirst... so drinking more water makes you feel less hungry and prevents you from eating unnecessarily.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Water helps to fill up your stomach, so you feel full. It also flushes junk from your system and keeps you hydrated.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Water flushes fat. Think of it as the more water you drink, the more fat you flush! :)
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well your body needs a lot of water in order for all of its organs to function properly - generally it's accepted that 8 8oz cups a day is required. But when you add in exercise, you need to add at least one cup per hour of exercise (I think) in order to compensate for all of the moisture you lose through evaporation and sweat. This is just the minimum for optimal body function and most people don't even do that - which may explain why so many people are constipated. Also, because in most modern diets there is a lot of salt, we need more water to flush out the sodium - and sodium binds with water, so if you don't flush it out through drinking extra water, you're bound to actually retain water, which will add extra weight. Also, your brain is mainly made up of water and if you don't get enough, you may experience headaches and have difficulty concentrating. Also, there is evidence that sometimes, when we think we are hungry, we are actually thirsty - because there is water in most food and our body is actually craving the moisture more than the nutrient value (sometimes) - so by being sure to get enough water you may be helping yourself to avoid those extra cravings which make your diet even more difficult. Basically, it's pretty difficult to drink too much water, so just drink as much as you can and you will make your whole lifestyle change / diet experience a lot easier.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

•Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    •The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    •Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    •Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    •Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    •A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    •Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
  • n_parker21
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very informative!

I think I will go celebrate my first posting by getting a couple of glasses of the good stuff.....H2O!