What to serve with liver?

Matttdvg
Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
I really like liver, and it's reasonably healthy too (high protein, low carb & relatively low calorie. There's a bit of fat in it, but not too much) but I don't know what to serve with it. Before dieting I would have liver & bacon with onion gravy and mashed potato, which was always delicious. But bacon is full of fat and high calorie, and potatoes are high carb, and while I'm not on a low carb diet I am trying to cut back on my carb intake a bit since it's quite high. So what goes well with liver and is reasonably healthy?

Replies

• timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 653 Member
    I like to sautee liver with onions and just after I turn off the heat i add lemon juice ( this depends on you and how lemony you like it). I mae this into a sandwhich using pita bread, tomatoes and mint leaves.. mm mm goodness!!
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    I usually have them alone with some tomatoes or salad!
    Maybe you could boil a potato instead of the mashed potato and have a small cup of soup or salad, salad is great ! :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Heart? Brain? Gall bladder?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

I really wanted to be the first to right that ! :laugh:
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    An airsickness bag?
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

hehehe good 1
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

Dang! Beat me to it!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

Bah!!! You got there before me :grumble:

:laugh:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

Bah!!! You got there before me :grumble:

:laugh:

:angry: too slow again
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

ahhh Clarise! :laugh:
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    You could serve it with brown or wild rice instead of the potatoes? You could even still make it a gravy. I use cornstarch to thicken up gravy rather than flour. Also some steamed or roasted in the oven (really delicious!) veggies would go great!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Strange as it sounds

Peel two oranges and fine cut the skin and fry with a little oil, add some good Irish stout and then the liver, cook so its still pink !
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    I applaud you that you like liver, but if I'm over for dinner, a side of anti-nausea medication may be the only thing I've be interested in.

More power to you, but it literally would have to be the last food stuff on earth before I'd fry me up a batch.

My parents love liver, and while they used to fry it up with onions, they also used to boil it with an onion, and then let it cool. As a snack, they would cut slices and salt them. I had to leave the house when they did this, but they both love the stuff that way.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    a side of apologies? as in "I am sorry I am asking you to eat ... shudder.. gasp.. liver" .. LOL
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    a side of apologies? as in "I am sorry I am asking you to eat ... shudder.. gasp.. liver" .. LOL

I'm with you. It smells really good cooked w/ onions but liver is something I have never been able to eat...
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Saute some spinach or green beans to eat with it. Also liver is high in iron, so something with a lot of vitamin C would help you absorb the iron.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: liver!!!! I have it with onions and brown rice and side dish of tomato cucumber salad!!!:love::love:
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Saute some spinach or green beans to eat with it. Also liver is high in iron, so something with a lot of vitamin C would help you absorb the iron.
    thanks!!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    hee hee... I was pretty prould of myself!
    " a nice Chinati..."

Dang! Beat me to it!
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    " a nice Chinati..."

LOL it's the first thing I thought of too! "...Fava beans and a nice chianti" :laugh: