Do foods look different to you now?

Options
I don't mean they look at you with sad eyes and beg you not to eat them. If that is happening you might try a good therapist, or else you are the actress in that old Tales From the Dark Side (I think) with the miracle weight loss hearing aid and glasses. :wink:

No, what I mean is that when I see a commercial for some huge restaurant meal or greasy fat and carb-laden sandwich, I don't think "Yum!". Instead I think, "That sandwich has more calories than my daily total allottment" or "That meal would be about right for a huge defensive linebacker who trains 8 hours a day". I still like plenty of yummy and not-so nutritious foods, but it's mostly the home-made goodies I crave rather than store-bought junk. And I swear I absorb calories just looking at a piece of cheesecake. :sad:

Instead of wanting anything deep-fried, my caloric downfall at restaurants has become the 1000+ calorie salads that are oh so deceptive. My tastes in food and what looks good to me really has changed quite a bit over the eight months or so that I've been here. Anyone else?

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I look at food now and think that has so much added crap in it or I wonder how much sugar is in that. LOL
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    Same with me. I'm not even interested in lots of foods I used to think were the best. Now I crave a big salad or a honey crisp apple. Sometimes people think it odd I would rather not have ice cream and I'd rather go home and make my frozen banana ice cream instead. Or I don't want a huge hamburger and fries and choose fish and veggies instead.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    lol yeah they've changed. Someone placed a honey bun type object on my desk this morning and all I could think of was 'ick'. It never even crossed my mind to eat it. I just moved it to someone elses desk and finished my protein shake. I look forward to my healthy food now. :)
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Every time I see a food/restaurant commercial, I so totally start running calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium, etc in my mind! :laugh: One serving would totally wipe out my whole calories for the day or if I did so and so workout, I can still have a deficit and be able to afford another meal or two.:bigsmile:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I look at food now and think that has so much added crap in it or I wonder how much sugar is in that. LOL
    ^^ this and.....

I've been trying to eat a little cleaner and weaning myself off of the fake sugar.

Once in a while I want a little sweet in the coffee and I'll add 1/2 packet of real sugar.
    The other day I only had sweet-n-low in my desk so I used a tiny bit of that and EWWWWWWW!

I'd been using it since I was 14 and had gotten to the point where I actually preferred it over sugar. Now it just seems gross.
    I also bought some Sugar Free/Fat Free pudding which I used to love and that was pretty gross too, but I still for some reason, had a problem with portion control.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Someone placed a honey bun type object on my desk this morning and all I could think of was 'ick'. It never even crossed my mind to eat it. I just moved it to someone elses desk and finished my protein shake. I look forward to my healthy food now. :)
    Lol, that's awesome! I agree that most pastries don't appeal to me now. They are too sticky sweet and don't really taste good enough to be worth the calorie cost. Now home-made cinnamon rolls would be another story, which is why I haven't made them in a year or so. My willpower only goes so far!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I really don't eat out much,and when I do I don't worry about anything I eat. 99% of all the food my family eats are from whole foods and cooked by me, and I'm a chef btw. As far as the calorie laden foods in commercials is concerned, I don't see anything inherently wrong with doing that, it happens with most products that are sold.......The choice should be left up to the individual to partake or not.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I actually passed on cake at a recent wedding reception!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    As far as the calorie laden foods in commercials is concerned, I don't see anything inherently wrong with doing that, it happens with most products that are sold.......The choice should be left up to the individual to partake or not.
    It's a free country. Folks are free to eat what they like outside of cities that want to impose restrictions on unhealthy foods. I wouldn't have it any other way, and in fact I disagree with countries that put a "fat tax" on butter, ice cream, and the like. That's not the right approach to improve public health. We eat out once or twice a week mostly, which is less than the average American family, but we still see commercials all the time!

The commercials don't appeal to me anymore, because I can't help thinking about how much fat, sodium, carbs, and calories is in that stuff. It's a change I've noticed in myself, and was just wondering if others have had a similar experience. Advertise whatever you like! (except those male enhancement pills, lol)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Looking at food differently?

ga840918.gif

And yes, i see something, and my first thought is "how many calories?" Followed by "is it nice enough to justify spending that much?"

Then it's either yes, proceed to munch, or no, turn my nose up at it :)