lose v. loose

Options

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Yes...this has been beaten to death numerous times. Don't believe me? Type "lose loose" into the search function.
    There is a search function? Someone should post a thread about using it....
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Yes...this has been beaten to death numerous times. Don't believe me? Type "lose loose" into the search function.

Good call, Jesse. I'm sure these repetitious posts are a thing of the past now.
  • Cupcake_Anonymous
    Options
    I do not have a degree in English.. but seriously everyone..

Lose = to LOSE something (like weight, car keys, mind)

Loose = untightened or relaxed (like a shoelace or your old jeans)

I LOSE weight, therefore my old jeans are LOOSE.

I may LOSE my shoe, because my shoelaces are LOOSE.

Write more good....
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

But no one would ever find it.
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I once "corrected" someone's spelling on here for that, with a smiley and everything, and almost got crucified :noway:

That's because smart people are considered a-holes on here.

Really, or maybe it's because some people realise that correlation does not imply causation?

You cannot draw any solid conclusions about the level of a person's intellect from their grammar and spelling alone. It's sloppy thinking to do so.
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Are you loose?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This annoys me mainly because they are also pronounced differently and every time someone uses "loose" I pronounce it that way in my head. I never posted about it, but I did give a little grammar lesson in my signature. Don't hate me because I'm grammatical. :wink:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    As a recovering grammar nazi, I approve of this post. As a normal person, this topic gets tiresome. To be fair to the OP though, I performed a search for "loose lose" and by page 6 of the results, I abandoned. ship.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Really? Most people trying to lose weight are already self-conscious enough - now there are being judged on their grammer? Bigger (no pun intended) fish to fry. This website was designed to be a "safe place' free of judgement. Weight loss is not just for the educated.

Keep perspective.

Oh gtfo. You're over-analyzing this way too much.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I once "corrected" someone's spelling on here for that, with a smiley and everything, and almost got crucified :noway:

That's because smart people are considered a-holes on here.

Really, or maybe it's because some people realise that correlation does not imply causation?

You cannot draw any solid conclusions about the level of a person's intellect from their grammar and spelling alone. It's sloppy thinking to do so.

Perhaps I should've put "smart" in quotations, but I believe you entirely missed the point of my comment. I will clairfy.

People who correct other people's grammar on here are often labeled as "smartasses" or a-holes instead of helpful.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you OP.

However, if you are going to make digs at spelling (grammar is a whole different matter), you should also think about the fact that in English we try not to use a word in its own definition. You did it correctly for loose (which I find rather humorous)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    haha, love it, but you're going to see this mistake for the rest of your life :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

People who correct other people's grammar on here are often labeled as "smartasses" or a-holes instead of helpful.

Maybe they're labelled that way because the perception is that is exactly what they are being in the majority of cases.

It's mostly self serving status seeking (groovy alliteration huh?) in my opinion. There's a convenient upside to correcting someone's grammar or spelling. It puts you above the person who are "helping" as you must to some degree be more intelligent than they are because you posses knowledge they do not have. Your status goes up, theirs goes down.

Some people are helpful. Mostly though it is gratuitous and making a cheap point.

Innit?
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I've been ranting about this a lot in my status updates. This is definitely a pet peeve. The site deals so much with weight loss, you'd think people would know how to write about it!
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This obviously a big pet peeve for many of us. As a college student, I can't believe the amount of people that can't distinguish between you're/your etc!
    THIS! ^^^^^^ However, I do realize this topic has been hashed innumerable times on here and you pry won't get anyone to change, so I've resigned myself. Still nice to see that someone else is bugged by it as well. :)
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    Maybe they're labelled that way because the perception is that is exactly what they are being in the majority of cases.

It's mostly self serving status seeking (groovy alliteration huh?) in my opinion.
    Some people are helpful. Mostly though it is gratuitous and making a cheap point.
    I think the most important thing you said is "in my opinion" - your response is opinion-based (from both sides, don't think I am just picking on you). Everyone's comment is for their own personal reasons (read: opinions). I personally find it annoying that people misuse lose/loose, but this is the first time that I have ever commented on it in a thread. The goal of this site is to help yourself and others. I understand what the person is trying to say even if they make multiple misspellings along the way. But even if I do correct them (by writing "lose" in my response), I am not doing it to belittle them. You brought up "status" inflation/deflation. As I said, this site is about help (in healthy living)... and though it is amongst peers, by the simple act of helping (or sharing knowledge) - a gap is created

**EDIT - shortened quote
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

It's mostly self serving status seeking (groovy alliteration huh?) in my opinion.
    I think the most important thing you said is "in my opinion" - your response is opinion-based (from both sides, don't think I am just picking on you). Everyone's comment is for their own personal reasons (read: opinions). I personally find it annoying that people misuse lose/loose, but this is the first time that I have ever commented on it in a thread. The goal of this site is to help yourself and others. I understand what the person is trying to say even if they make multiple misspellings along the way. But even if I do correct them (by writing "lose" in my response), I am not doing it to belittle them. You brought up "status" inflation/deflation. As I said, this site is about help (in healthy living)... and though it is amongst peers, by the simple act of helping (or sharing knowledge) - a gap is created

**EDIT - shortened quote

You kind of took the words out of my mouth here :smile:.

To Msf74:

For me, correcting someone is more a matter of being helpful and asking them to be clear about what they are trying to communicate than anything else. Your opinion that it's a "status" thing is nonsense to me. I know that's who a lot of people see it, but I definitely do not. It's not too much to ask people to use language properly so others can understand them.

If I see a post that is full of runon sentences, has no punctuation, and is full of misspellings, I struggle to read it. Often, I don't even bother reading past the first two lines of posts like the one I just described.
  • SheehyCFC
    Options

...Your opinion that it's a "status" thing is nonsense to me. I know that's who a lot of people see it, but I definitely do not. It's not too much to ask people to use language properly so others can understand them.
    I misrepresented myself - I, personally, don't view it as a status thing, but if he (the poster) does, I was simply making the point that along that reasoning ALL help is demeaning to the helpee and self-serving to the helper. I actually strongly disagree with that. :happy:

**EDIT - shorten quote, PS: Sorry for the first, run-on sentence
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

...Your opinion that it's a "status" thing is nonsense to me. I know that's who a lot of people see it, but I definitely do not. It's not too much to ask people to use language properly so others can understand them.
    I misrepresented myself - I, personally, don't view it as a status thing, but if he (the poster) does, I was simply making the point that along that reasoning ALL help is demeaning to the helpee and self-serving to the helper. I actually strongly disagree with that. :happy:

**EDIT - shorten quote

I was referring to the person you quoted. I should've been more clear :)