Do men generally care about stretch marks?

Options

Replies

• Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'll tell ya, pregnancy did a major blow to my already fragile self esteem. I got incredibly depressed for months, and I still am sometimes when I look in the mirror.

Ultimately, I think the saggy skin from carrying a child is waaay worse than the stretchmarks. Apparently, I was not blessed with elastic skin.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm married and we have a kid. The way I see it , they are a sign of what she did so that we could have our daughter. So, IMO, they are beauty marks.

You, sir, are exactly the kind of man that there should be more of. :-)
    my husband doesn't care about the things I criticize about myself. He helps me feel more confident, and that is more attractive than a perfectly formed woman (whatever perfect is) who is incredibly insecure. As I'm getting healthier, he is encouraging me and that just reinforces my determination to get down to my goal weight.
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What if they're not from pregnancy and just from being overweight? I doubt that's as sentimental. :tongue:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Google Kat Williams Stretch Marks (language...but it's Kat Williams so of course).

I like his stance on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5-71ziM5c

(NSFW - not safe for work)

LOVE IT!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    What if they're not from pregnancy and just from being overweight? I doubt that's as sentimental. :tongue:

They just show you where you've been and how far you've come. :-)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I thought men usually didn't even notice those, until a few days ago, when my dad asked me, "how's your weight loss going?" ... followed by "good, what about the stretch marks on your calves? I'm a little concerned because you had a lot of those. Have they faded a bit?" :laugh:

HE cares more about my stretch marks than I do!

My husband doesn't seem to care. He just says, "boobies (check), booty (check), girly parts (check), cute (check)... ALL GOOD"
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm married and we have a kid. The way I see it , they are a sign of what she did so that we could have our daughter. So, IMO, they are beauty marks.
    Aw! I HOPE my husband feels that way! I'm sure he'd say something similar, but I don't want to draw attention to them by asking, but I hope he really feels that way!

As far as men, it's really laughable to think of turning down a likable guy because of stretch marks! Women are much harder on ourselves, and I think we think men are more critical of us than they really are, I hope!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    The majority of mine are from two pregnancies. Like another commenter said, my husband sees them as my battle scars from bringing our children into the world.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Um guys get stretch marks too! I know very in shape men that have them! And if a man has a problem with your stretch marks - screw him!

Oh! Oh! Me! Me me! I have a problem with stretch marks! Me! Pick me!

;)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I like them on my wife. It's like a trophy of my prowess. :)
  • Estela565
    Options
    nah my bf never said anything... honestly if he cared or not nothing i could do about it :D gotta spend my money on more important things... im not a model for a living so it doesnt affect me...
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Google Kat Williams Stretch Marks (language...but it's Kat Williams so of course).

I like his stance on it.

haha my thoughts exactly!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Most men are really not that observant. My husband certainly isn't.
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband ever so lovingly says he doesnt care and I'm beautiful and then on to his real manly self says I really just care about ur boobs you butt and your face(thinking he adds the face just because)....

I on the other hand dislike them alot...Yes they are proof of my daughter... My body lovingly decided that the stretch marks appear exacly 2 weeks 1 day from the day I gave birth so mad....

I'm honestly pleasently surprised that so many of you see them as battle scars and are in a sense proud... I hope I can eventually get to that mind set....
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My husband always assured me he would always love me/want me no matter what. Then I got pregnant with our first, and that was LITERALLY the end. I was very self conscious about my scars - stretch marks and a fresh C-section scar. He said that he didn't want to see it and never again would look at me without clothes. We conceived our second with me pretty much dressed, in the dark...and that was after I'd lost about 40 lbs - no sagging skin.

Kind of like how people assume all men like pregnant women because they look "radiant", or how men just want sex. It depends on the man, but if you're lucky he really WILL love you no matter what, and he will especially still love you if you give him kids.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My husband always assured me he would always love me/want me no matter what. Then I got pregnant with our first, and that was LITERALLY the end. I was very self conscious about my scars - stretch marks and a fresh C-section scar. He said that he didn't want to see it and never again would look at me without clothes. We conceived our second with me pretty much dressed, in the dark...and that was after I'd lost about 40 lbs - no sagging skin.

Kind of like how people assume all men like pregnant women because they look "radiant", or how men just want sex. It depends on the man, but if you're lucky he really WILL love you no matter what, and he will especially still love you if you give him kids.

And you are still married to him?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

WOW. What a douche.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. Your children are absolutely lovely as I'm sure you are as well. Stand up for yourself girl.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

No offense, but I think your hub needs to meet some of my professional fighting friends...
    :explode:
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'll tell ya, pregnancy did a major blow to my already fragile self esteem. I got incredibly depressed for months, and I still am sometimes when I look in the mirror.

Ultimately, I think the saggy skin from carrying a child is waaay worse than the stretchmarks. Apparently, I was not blessed with elastic skin.
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Prior to my boys I had a flat tummy area (everything below that was big, though, which I accepted). I didn't have a tummy skin problem after having my daughter (she's the oldest) so after boy #1, was I surprised, then as I started to lose from boy #1 boy #2 was on the way. I don't like the saggy belly, no, not at all.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

No offense, but I think your hub needs to meet some of my professional fighting friends...
    :explode:

No need. I think we ladies can take him. GRRR.