iPad thoughts?

Options
emilydmac
emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
Hi Everyone,
My mom has an iPad, and I really liked it and am considering getting one- but I don't want to get it if I will never use it, because I have a laptop and a smartphone already. Do you have one, and if so why? and what do you use it for? And if you don't have one, why not?

Thanks!!!
Emily

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have one!!! I don't go anywhere without and am probably unhealthily in love with it. Tablets are absolutely going to replace laptops I feel. Get one!!!
  • sailingmom
    Options
    I just got an iPad this week ..also have lap top desk top and phone..but use the iPad the most because it is so easy to use!!!! I love it!,
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone, iPad and a MacBook. They all get used. I use my phone when I am out and about, my laptop when I am doing work and the iPad when I am home and want to do the same things my phone does.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    No, I do not have one.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have ipad2. Its great! The only thing i dont like is typing on it. If you need a laptop to work or work from home, etc...inwould have both.

Personally...its just so easy and nice to flip open and not take five minutes booting up like my laptop.
  • supergirlsu
    Options
    I love my iPad and i was worried also that i wouldnt use it enough/novelty would wear off, i too also have a laptop and smartphone. But i actually use my iPad daily (on it now) find it far easier to grab to check up on things on mfp/facebook etc than getting out my bulky laptop. Only thing frustrates me is you cant upload stuff, photos, cvs etc, so i do have to get the laptop out. But getting an iPad was the best thing i ever did :) So yeah, mine is used for just mooching round the internet, online shopping etc. Every day stuff. Laptop is there for things like job applications, and typing long documents etc.
  • chaokitty
    chaokitty Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kristinlove, unhealthy love for my iPad! I never leave without it :) its just....awesome!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly have the same question too. I'm glad not the only person wanting a Ipad and I don't want to have all three things to carry around with me.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    So you folks that have one have the wi-fi version or the 3G one? Dont' think I can stomach adding more cost to the monthly phone bill but I really really really want one!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I honestly have the same question too. I'm glad not the only person wanting a Ipad and I don't want to have all three things to carry around with me.

Ditto - I live off my Smarphone... but I really want an Ipad, would be much easier than the Smartphone..
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have it, love it, use it all the time. Using it right now.

My desktop is pretty much just a giant paper weight at this point. The instant on and perfect size/weight makes me shake my head in sadness when I look at my wife's laptop.

Lack of flash is the only down side. For example I can't generate the reports on MFP or order from smaller online vendors (amazon and such there's no problem)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I love my iPad like a crack head likes crystal!! Here is why:

1) I cam take it anywhere and it starts up fast

2) it doesn't get hot like a laptop

3) I travel a lot so a lot of hours in airports and planes (see #1 & 2 above)

I can watch movies, surf Internet, check email, play games, work on documents, read books, whatever I want easily.

Drawbacks? You can not connect external hard drive if so desired (not that I know of anyway).

Will it completely replace a laptop? No.... Because once I am at my work location, I need the laptop.

So I completely 110% endorse it.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I use mine all day every day. During workouts i plop it on the machine adn watch netflix or hulu, it's great for web browsing, and I use it at work all day everyday (evernote, dropbox, Wunderlist, and the calendar keep me going)

I forgot,..... I use it for this too!! Plus my 5 year old loves to watch Netflix on it. It's a great babysitter! :bigsmile:
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've had my iPad 3 since May. It's super for traveling. It's great for email and web browsing. I carried my online books, PDFs of airport maps, travel guides, and more on the iPad, I didn't require 24/7 connectivity. I only wish there was a decent photo archive/management solution available.

Around the house I use the browser to log my food and do quick look ups of online info. Easier than using the laptop. I only wish the iPad supported more browser controls.

Also, check out the Logitech Keyboard Case by ZAGG for iPad 2 from ZAGG at www.zagg.com. I like it because it is both a cover and a keyboard. Makes typing email or using journaling apps so much easier.

BTW, I also have a laptop, but no smart phone.
  • supergirlsu
    Options
    So you folks that have one have the wi-fi version or the 3G one? Dont' think I can stomach adding more cost to the monthly phone bill but I really really really want one!!!

I only use mine with wifi :) my phone is good enough to use out and about.
  • FatAndThirty
    Options
    I have an iPad2 and I had the first ipad also, and its almost replaced my home laptop. If I use my laptop once a week nowadays, thats more than I usually do.. There are so many apps I can do everything with, from watching TV to MFP, of course, lol. I would recommend getting the WiFi version. I bought a mobile hotspot a year ago for my laptop and I use that with it so I can get on the net anywhere. If you don't want to get a mobile hotspot, most phones now have a hotspot capability so u can connect using ur phone, but the prices per month depend on the wireless carrier.

Fortunately, a lot of sites are getting away from flash, because of its security vulnerabilities. So not having flash on the ipad will not be such a huge problem in the future.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Wifi

If I had a business need, I'd get the 3G and take the expense as a tax deduction. I haven't needed it.

There are some apps that take advantage of the GPS,feature, which would make it kind of cool to use Google Earth while traveling, but I haven't needed or wanted it.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My daughter has one. I thought I'd like one, but now seeing hers not so much. It's a little to heavy for me.

I'm glad I never got one, because I just preordered the Kindle Fire and cannot wait! I already love my kindle and I'm excited to have pad-like features on it. For the things I'd use an ipad for, the Kindle Fire at $199 is a deal.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

just the wifi. I figure if you are out, you can always use your phone. and for me...personally. If I'm out, I'm typically not wanting to surf the net. when I'm out...I'm out to do something.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    O.K., second question (OP, sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread!), do you folks that have one have a Mac or PC? My friends here who have ipads all have Mac's and I don't know what they are talking about half the time!