Help! How do you beat your cravings?

Options
Every day after lunch and after dinner I crave sweets! I always give in. .. today I had a butter-finger and now I am mad at myself. Any suggestions on how I can beat my sugar cravings??

Replies

• akbelcher19
    akbelcher19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    yogurt, fruit snacks, cascadia farms has awesome organic granola bars that have chocolate in/on them
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Try a piece of gum or sugar free candy.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have huge sugar cravings nightly but I don't avoid them. I buy frozen yogurt (120-130 for a half cup - depending on flavor) and the kid cones (15-20 cal) and have an ice cream cone every night. I factor it into my daily calories and always save room for it. Occasionally, I'll switch to the sugar free jello puddings that are 80 cal. But I've learned its better to find something that fits into my day and calorie count because if I try to beat the cravings then I just give in and have way more...

Find a way to fit the sugar into your day at a number you can handle. Much easier than trying to beat it
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Have it.
    Seriously.
    Your body is screaming for something.

Obviously within moderation. Maybe next time just have a half of one.
    I Just had my lunch and went for some lindor chocolate... usually I would eat 3 'balls' I am going to do 1.
    Who knows maybe thats just enough.

Wouldn't hurt to try :)
  • LovahLaura
    Options
    Drink water, eat a sweet yet healthy granola bar, FRUIT, or nuts!!! Those are all sweet and healthy! Good luck!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Fruit. I actually only keep fruit and nuts on my desk at all times to keep myself from going and getting junk.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try lower cal sweets or make your own.
    I love York Peppermint patties- 140 calories.
    Deep chocolate VitaTops- 100 calories (some people think they're nasty... takes care of my chocolate craving).
    Cinnamon sugar kettle corn- 90 calories.
    Jello/pudding.
    Marshmallow fluff recipes.
    Arctic Zero ice cream- 150 cals per pint.
    Chocolate almond milk and such.
    Just had a Russell Stovers dark chocolate marshmallow pumpkin last night- 110 cals :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    thnk about how you felt after you ate the butterfinger. probably lousy. so stop...easy to say. I know :-)

Try drinking water, or herbal tea at night. Chewing gum helps. Brushing your teeth. Or trying getting out of the house (if you can) for awhile, so not watching TV and around the fridge to start snacking.

write down your goals (and why you want to lose weight) and read them when you feel like you might cave.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND GO FOR A WALK
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you drink diet soda? that stuff makes you crave sugary snacks (allegedly)

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/diet-soda-may-be-making-you-fat-2504019
  • joviwood
    joviwood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read in a report on yahoo--if you are craving sweets--eat a pickle.... Never know till you try if it might work for you and some pickles have no calories....
  • OverlordMark
    Options
    I *try* and plan my food in advance a little. Sometimes I get a craving for pizza, or a kebab, or just fancy a huge wodge of cake. If I don`t have enough calories left today then I`ll plan it for later in the week.

What I`d recommend is if you *really* want the sugary thing then add it to your calendar for tomorrow and have it tomorrow. The only problem is then you have to skimp on your other meals a little.

Personally, I think that if you try and cut out everything that you like you`re just making it harder on yourself. Don`t feel like you`re denying yourself something .... just put a delay on it.
  • Alibobba
    Options
    I love love love Jello Sugar Free Pudding. I try to go with dark chocolate, which I adore, because it has the fewest carbs, but any flavor is good. I also love Nature Valley Dark Chocolate Granola Bars. I have a mouth full of sweet teeth, so I know I will never win that battle.....I just try to find the best way around it!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I say still have it but the "fun size" and work it into your diary. This is a lifestyle change, not some quick diet. If you end up cutting out everything you like, you'll end up back where you started. While having something sweet, have a big cup of water to go with it too.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I like something sweet after a meal, too, it kind of cues me to stop eating like, dessert and we're done. But you could budget for a fun-size of your favorites, or even the smaller bite-size, you can have a couple and it's under 100 cals.
    Don't tell yourself you can never have chocolate. Maybe eventually, you will prefer not to, but until then, just work it in.
    Today I have some fresh honeycrisp apples, I will have one for my afternoon snack and I will pair it with two pieces of brach's caramel, so I get my caramel apple craving satisfied!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I read in a report on yahoo--if you are craving sweets--eat a pickle.... Never know till you try if it might work for you and some pickles have no calories....

I read this article. For sweets you are supposed to eat an apple. For salty cravings- pickle.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do something healthy late at night like granola with milk, yogurt, or a baked potato topped with broccoli and a bit of cheese

Also do everything in moderation like one fun size butterfingers when I'm craving my favorite choc covered pretzels I opt for the 100 calorie pack of them be use they are already proportioned
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have extra calories treat yourself. Honestly i have a sweet tooth before i go to sleep so i will make sure to save calories for this reason. But i usually just have a cottage double...the strawberry satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat whole foods instead of processed foods with artificial sweeteners. I find myself craving less. I do enjoy dessert after dinner so I'll have a small bowl of low fat ice cream( I measure out 1 serving!) Otherwise I'll keep eating other foods until I finally give in and eat the ice cream anyways.