Water Water Everywhere......

Apart from in my glass!
I just can't seem to drink enough of it. i can only manage maybe two glasses at the most...... i prefer tea and coffee and yes i know these things will dehydrate me but hey call it my guilty pleasure!! LOL!!!
any tips ? x

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Coffee and tea will not dehydrate you, especially if consumed regularly. That is a myth, based on the fact that caffeine is technically a diuretic. Water is also technically a diuretic.

Edit to add reference: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Tea and Coffee will not dehydrate you.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

An extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.
    [/quote]

So basically, I would put tea and coffee in my diary as a food to record the few calories that's in them. But tea and coffee do count towards your daily intake of water.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,641 Member
    Try adding Cystal Light to your water, has no sugar and only 5 calories for 2 glasses.
  • Decaf tea?

Coffee I don't count at all due to the dehydrating effects. But a good hot tea that's caffeine free should be fine. Or spice it up with fresh squeezed juice from your favorite fruit. But I don't recommend those flavor packets, they usually have artificial sweeteners that are terrible for your body.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Decaf tea?

Coffee I don't count at all due to the dehydrating effects.

It doesn't have a dehydrating effect! Why do you think this?!

*head/desk*
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member

All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.

So basically, I would put tea and coffee in my diary as a food to record the few calories that's in them. But tea and coffee do count towards your daily intake of water.
    [/quote]

Yay my water intake has just jumped up but does that count if it has a splash of milk?
  • HMonsterX
    Yay my water intake has just jumped up but does that count if it has a splash of milk?

No, the splash of milk turns it solid, therefore it no longer counts towards your daily fluid intake...
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member

No, the splash of milk turns it solid, therefore it no longer counts towards your daily fluid intake...

So that's why I can't get it out the cup!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

[/quote]

Well considering 85%-90% of milk is water; what do you think? :smile:
  • Decaf tea?

*head/desk*

OMG God forbid someone be wrong. My apologies. I was always told by parents and my doctor that coffee was no substitute for water due to the caffeine dehydrating you. But whatever...
  • HMonsterX
    Decaf tea?

*head/desk*

OMG God forbid someone be wrong. My apologies. I was always told by parents and my doctor that coffee was no substitute for water due to the caffeine dehydrating you. But whatever...

Surely you've seen other threads like this in the last 2 months...where evidence, studies, etc have proven that to be an old myth? There have been 2 references for that in this thread alone! Don't you read the links people provided?

My nan was told smoking was good for her, but things change!