Do you count calories from gum or mints?

Options
2»

Replies

• Onlybyfaith
    Onlybyfaith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I did Weight Watchers the program leader had a saying: if you bite it, write it.

While you may burn those 5 calories just from chewing the gum, I think it's the principle of the matter when tracking calories. In weight loss mode, you should write down everything that you eat, whether or not it has calories. That way you can track what your pattern is and make corrections (or give praise!) when it's due. You'd be surprised at how many 5 calorie non-factors you make in a day that actually add up to something significant!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't log my gum, I probably should but i think that they, along with fish oil and vitamins, fall under incidental calories. Meaning I don't expect them to add up ro 500 calories a day.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    nope
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    No, and I don't log the exercise from chewing the gum, either.

If I swallow it, I log it, so I would log mints, but gum, for me, is a preventative. I chew gum during the afternoon to prevent snacking, and it works. I chew Orbits which is 2.5 calories per stick and I know I burn more than that before I spit it out. If I thought I had to log it I would probably stop chewing because of the bother and then I would snack....not going there.
    223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    I log it from calories, but not from mints...go figure!
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I log my gum, and it's 3 calories per piece.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I don't..rarely have mints, but when I chew gum I don't worry about it. I usually have plenty of calories left over in my day that it wouldn't make a difference.
  • mrecker
    mrecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting to track calories I would have. Right now I am working on a little bit of clean up so I don't worry about the small things so much.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have never thought about counting them. i chew one piece of gum per day. thanks for reminding me! i think i will start adding it, because those "hidden" calories can add up! :smile:
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options

If I swallow it, I log it, so I would log mints, but gum, for me, is a preventative. I chew gum during the afternoon to prevent snacking, and it works. I chew Orbits which is 2.5 calories per stick and I know I burn more than that before I spit it out. If I thought I had to log it I would probably stop chewing because of the bother and then I would snack....not going there.

^ this
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    lol