Anyone going through or has gone though weight loss surgery?

Options
2»

Replies

• karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    My daughter is 23 and has been on so many diets. She can lose 10 lbs and then it stops and she is very good at being compliant with whatever the requirements are. She has now developed PCOS which means she is now fighting totally messed up hormones. She has not yet developed diabetes or other co-morbid factors but she is heavy enough to qualify without it. At first I really didn't want her to have the surgery. However, I went with her to the sessions and researched all that I could and began to meet people who have been successful. It seems to me that it is mostly about being compliant with what you have to do afterwards.

She has always been overweight. She feels like her life is on hold and that there is a thinner person inside trying to get out. If I thought she could do it the natural way, I would encourage her to keep trying. As it is, I am going to support her through the process and after. She has thought it through for over a year now and I don't think she will ever regret it.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 23 and has been on so many diets. She can lose 10 lbs and then it stops and she is very good at being compliant with whatever the requirements are. She has now developed PCOS which means she is now fighting totally messed up hormones. She has not yet developed diabetes or other co-morbid factors but she is heavy enough to qualify without it. At first I really didn't want her to have the surgery. However, I went with her to the sessions and researched all that I could and began to meet people who have been successful. It seems to me that it is mostly about being compliant with what you have to do afterwards.

She has always been overweight. She feels like her life is on hold and that there is a thinner person inside trying to get out. If I thought she could do it the natural way, I would encourage her to keep trying. As it is, I am going to support her through the process and after. She has thought it through for over a year now and I don't think she will ever regret it.

Kuddos to you for supporting ur daughter!! My sis is the closest thing I have to a mom and she was very aginst my surgery. She didn't come to the hospital and didn't visit me for a month after. I'm a single mom and had to do it all on my own right sfter having a major surgery. Thank u for being so supportive to your daughter!!
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've had lap band surgery (I wasn't thrilled with the idea of changing my digestion). I have to tell you, I kind of wish I hadn't. But it gave me the motivation to actually do something about my weight. I am actually not using my band. Though even though it is mostly empty it does still restrict me a little. I've learned to change my eating habits. I was eating 1200 calories per day for the first 8 months, but realized I needed more fuel to lose and support my workouts. I now eat anywhere from 1500-2000 calories per day and am still losing. I have not discussed this with my surgeon however, I'm not sure if he'd agree, but I'd hit a plateau, and finally started losing after I started eating more.

You say you don't want to have to eat 1200 calories per day for the rest of your life. Your doc will probably recommend that you do. I wish I had found MFP prior to banding and learned all that I had by reading these boards, I would not have had surgery. I do not completely regret it, but in a way I do.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    i have done very well with my lap band. i did lose most of the weight i lost on the part to the restriction i am at now. i was briefly "over-filled" at one point and was getting stuck too frequently so i got unfilled just a hair. now i get reasonable restriction but also eat fairly normally. a lot of people told me i was doing so well why bother having the surgery but i am glad i did. its just nice having a smaller stomach. i probably would not have had the bypass. as for the issue about ow much of your food you digest after the bypass you do have some calories (and nutrition) pass through without getting absorbed but i don't believe it is anywhere near 75% but it is some % because the bypass is both restrictive and malabsorptive.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Having once been 286lbs I find these discussions very interesting. I have no concrete opinions either way - I looked at the option of surgery when I was at my highest weight, but decided that at 24 I could make the changes myself. So I did.

5 years on and I've lost 121 lbs. Did I have setbacks? Of course, at one point I regained about 60lbs. Now I weigh 166 lbs and have about 15 lbs to go to get to my goal range.

I wouldn't trade my journey for anything.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is hard but whichever way you go - be informed, do your research, get some support xxxx