Salad Dressing Alternatives pls?

Options

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I try to eat pretty clean, so I don't do premade salad dressings or seasoning packets.

Instead i use mostly just EVOO with balsamic vinegar, black pepper and basil.
    I also have used lemon juice.
    I also have tried some greek yogurt/honey/mustard combo's.
    Also strawberries/greek yogurt/poppy seeds/EVOO/lemon juice blended is yummy. :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I use red vinegar and some pepper. I also like using honey mustard (though the sodium is still a little higher), but it has so much flavor it seems to cover the salad with less dressing.
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This won't help with the sodium.. BUT I pile on mild banana pepper rings! The juices and flavor of pepper rings is so mouthwatering/delicious to me, I don't need dressing!
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    I am always worried about salad dressing because you can never tell how many calories are in it. We went to Red Robin (a burger joint) the other day and my seven year old son got a side salad with his meal. Great! But he was at the end of the table with his cousins and so I watched him pour the whole 2 ounce cup of dressing on his salad. I was stunned when I checked the website later and found that 2 ounce cup of dressing was 280 calories!

I like to use the fork dip method. I get whatever dressing I want "on the side". Then I dip my fork in the cup before each bite. I get a little flavor of the dressing each time, but I never overdo it. I usually end up eating about 1/10 of what they serve. Even if the dressing did have 280 calories, I only ate 28! :wink:
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    Salsa all the way! :There's so many kinds, southwest, verde, pineapple kinds, etc etc... of course check labels but most are pretty low cal.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When I am at home I measure mine out. I usually do half the serving. I use Light Vadalia sweet onion I use just 1tbs sometimes just 1tsp.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    If you go to www.allrecipes.com you can type in the type of dressing and once you find a recipe just substitute for lighter ingredients.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Here's my salad measured & weighed & logged in:

Mixed Greens
    Red onion
    low fat feta cheese
    cucumbers
    pepperocini
    kalamata olives
    grape tomatoes
    grilled salmon
    salt & pepper

The salmon really adds moisture to the salad. I haven't eaten salad dressing in 1 -1/2 years. I found I really like tasting all of the vegetables without dressing.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    i love olive oil and balsamic vinegar. also "Ken's" makes a great light caesar dressing and I love balsamic vinegrette

cripes girl, you look AWESOME...(sorry, side note to topic) :)

...was thinking the same thing, ha!
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been adding a couple tablespoons of peach chipotle salsa to my salad. Or sometime having my salad with a whole wheat pita and some hummus does the trick
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html

I love these guys ZERO calorie dressings I always get bacon ranch flavor and it's delicious! 0 calroes, 0 fat, amazing! They sell it at some retail stores I usualy get it from a store called Sunflower Farmers Market, I think Whole Foods sells them to but im not poitive on that.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html

I love these guys ZERO calorie dressings I always get bacon ranch flavor and it's delicious! 0 calroes, 0 fat, amazing! They sell it at some retail stores I usualy get it from a store called Sunflower Farmers Market, I think Whole Foods sells them to but im not poitive on that.

I like this brand too. I just tried Sesame Ginger. Its got the sweetness of ginger but not overdone like the rasberry vinagarette that is fat free. The Walden farms is made with water, soysauce and spices. It does have 130 g of sodium per Tbs (soy sauce). It is zero calories. I like to mix it with a Kens light sesame ginger that is 35 cal per Tbs. I can get plenty of dressing on a large salad for 35 cal. I also use salsa a lot. I will add several spoons of salsa and just 1 T of fat free ranch. I have done the tuna (no mayo) with Salsa too. I found my walden farms dressing at Kroger.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I just read this while eating my salad! I didn't want too much fat so I added half of a mango cut up in the salad. The mango is so juicy that it "makes it's own dressing"!.

Also to get the most coverage for my salad I borrow the restaurant trick of putting all of my salad ingredients into a very large bowl, pour my dab of dressing on top and then mix the salad up really well. You'll need a bowl about 4 times or so larger than your salad to keep it all contained. That is my best salad tip ever!
  • ampuckett08
    ampuckett08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Many have already suggested salsa, and I must say that is what I do as well. It is really yummy!!! Also another little thing you can do if you like tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and onions is dice them up and place them in a tumbler that has a lid and give it a good shaking...add a LITTLE salt and some pepper for taste and then place it on your salad. The juices from the tomatoes along with the other flavors taste great! And it is a good way to get some extra veggies in your diet.
  • kitkat415
    Options
    Hummus. If I put hummus on my salad 2tbsps for 70 calories, I don't even need a dressing.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    i love olive oil and balsamic vinegar. also "Ken's" makes a great light caesar dressing and I love balsamic vinegrette

thanks hun ;-)
  • fitaliciag
    Options

...was thinking the same thing, ha!

awwww, too sweet :-)
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    Wow, some really great idea on here! Salsa, hummus, rice wine vinegar, homemade fruit vinegarettes, and yogurt are some of my fav ideas. So thk for the suggestions, guys. Gonna add them to my grocery list this week.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Three of my favorite alternatives are 1) Salsa 2) The Juice from the banana pepper jar and 3) Plain greek yogurt witha little dash of old bay seasoning, or some of the salad dressing mixes (powder ones) mixed in. Add a little white wine vinegar to thin it if you think the texture is too thick.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Marie's Yogurt Parmesan dressing. Half the calories and low sodium. Or just cutting back on the dressing after a while you will get use to less.:drinker: