Need a second opion

Options
I'm new to this site and just started my work out two days ago. I'm going strong,however....isn't a normal person supposed to consume MORE then 1200 calories a day? I mean... I've been trying and been pretty good. But I'm still starving half the time. It seems like 1200 calories is a little low. Maybe I am just a fat @ss? haha Idk. Also, is there a place on this website to get good, fast, recipes? I need some recipes that are easy or snacks for before I leave for school or when I am rushed to go to work. Anything is appreciated. thanks :)

- Alix.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1200 calories usually is really low. If you have your weight loss goal set at 2 lbs per week, I recommend changing it to 1 lb per week, and see what that gives you.
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I have been on for about 17 days. My starting weight was 254 MFP starting weight was 250 and current weight is 243.5 I put in I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. which more would be great but I was setting my goals low. It was me eating 1800 calories plus whatever excersize I do. At the end of the day I have at least 700 calories left. Usually burning 200 to 500 calories a day with excersize. I am not hungry that often. I make sure I get lots of lean meats and veggies I also take a bit of fiber to keep me regular. I do not exclude anything from my diet. I know if i did I would fail because that is my track record. I keep track of my calories so if I want something I probably shouldn't I know calorie wise if I can have it or if I need to work out more to be able to have it. As for recipes I am still trying to find some. Not sure if this helped you at all, but that is my situation. :)
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is right for many people. But, that is assuming that you aren't doing any exercise. If you exercise, you have to add those calories back in or you aren't giving your body enough food to live, hence the hunger. So, eat your exercise calories back and you will feel a million times better.
  • alix1105
    Options
    This is great. Thanks Stephanie! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I guess maybe I should aim for 1 lb instead of 2 a week. lemme know if you find some good recipes :)
  • alix1105
    Options
    Thanks Naomi!

p.s.I like your picture, it is definitely motivating! haha
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet right now. I think it's important to not let yourself be hungry. If you feel like you're starving but have already consumed your calories for the day, eat raw veggies or fruit, and drink plenty of water. Your stomach will shrink in less time than you think and it might even get difficult to eat all your 1200, I come out under sometimes, even though I eat things like pizza and cookies. Also, whole grains help you stay full longer and are better for you.

Check out the Cook Yourself Thin website, it's a tv show on lifetime. They have great recipes!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    1200 is the LOWEST the site will even allow. Double check your settings. I am at 162 and currently set for 1/2 pound a week due to half marathon training and it has me at 1810. Never have I gotten below 1670 even when I was at 1 pound per week and not training. I was definitely hungry at first....eat good proteins and things that keep you more full.
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The Recipes message board is great for finding good recipes! You can browse through recently posted recipes or if you can to Search you can type in specific foods you want recipes for and see if anything comes up.
  • fairylover7376
    Options
    There are several websites that have quick healthy recipes & snack ideas. My favorites are readyseteat.com, foodnetworkcom/healthy, & allrecipes.com. I make most of my meals and snacks from these sites. I have lost 9 pounds so far & this site just makes it so easy to keep track of everything I eat & how much I work out. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • alix1105
    Options
    I'm trying for two pounds a week. But I am a little worried because I'm going to Vegas this weekend with my family and it's my first time since I've turn 21 and i'm 24! sad, i know :( haha hopefully I don't lose track of my goal and stick on a healthy diet. but its going to be so hard!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1,200 or so calories is entirely doable while keeping you satiated if you use those calories on foods that take more time to digest...this would be your lean proteins and low glycemic index value carbs, as well as healthy fats. If, instead, you're eating more processed/packaged foods with processed sugars, you're less likely to feel full throughout the day.

I'm a guy and I eat 1,100-1,300 net carbs most days without any physical issues such as not feeling full. My limitations are often the result of will power/mental lapses...which is why I have created a will power pill (see below) to help me when will power begins to wane.

by the way, if MFP has you set at 1,200 calories, that's a net number. so, if you exercise, you also get to eat the number of calories you burn while exercising. for example, if you burn 300 calories today, you would get to eat 1,500 calories and still be on track to lose 2 pounds/week. As someone above stated, if you find 1,200 net calories too restrictive, I recommend changing your goal to 1 pound/week loss until you figure out which types of foods keep you full and adjust.

as for your trip to Vegas, eh, good luck. I know what's in Vegas and I'd love to offer you something inspiring to keep you from the awesomeness of the food there...but, really, I got nothing that powerful. the best I can do is to suggest limiting the damage and commit to getting on track when you return. by then, hopefully you have completed the will power exercise in my blog and will have set yourself up for long term success.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Listen, mine is set at 2 lbs per week and I'm supposed to eat 1240 per day. There is no way I could eat 1240 every day, I would be miserable. So I exercise! Then you can eat more like 1400-1600 and that's totally manageable.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your vacation!
  • alix1105
    Options
    Awww, so happy for all the wonderful feedback. Thank you :) I'm stoked i joined this site! it is definitely more motivating :)