staaaarving.

Options
i'm a waitress who is also in the air force reserves. when i'm waitressing i'm obviously more active and mfp gives my 1340 cals a day to lose a lb a week. (i'm 5'4', 114lbs). i never feel hungry and i exercise and eat those calories and its fine! well as part of the reserves i have to serve some 'active" time. so starting this week i'm out on base sitting behind a computer all day (activity level goes down, calories go down). i changed my settings to reflect my less active job now and also changed to lose 1/2lb a week to give myself a few extra calories (i'm now at 1320). this is what i've had so far today:

breakfast:
blueberry fiber 1 toaster pastry (190cal)
banana (105cal)
fat free yogurt (100cal)

lunch:
turkey sandwich (160cal)
pear (100cal)

snacks:
8 reduced fat wheat thins (65cal)
1 wedge laughing cow cheese (35cal)
apple (80cal)
100 cal pack of fudge stripe cookies (100cal)
1/2 oz smoked almonds (85cal)

that puts me at 1020cal, with only 300 left for the rest of the day. its not even 4pm and i'm soooooo hungry. i mean, stomach growling hungry. oh and yes, i've been drinking water. i've already had 8 bottles of water today. it just seems like everyday since i've been sitting on my butt out here i'm sooooo hungry by the end of the day!

Replies

• quinnybear
    Options
    i'm a waitress who is also in the air force reserves. when i'm waitressing i'm obviously more active and mfp gives my 1340 cals a day to lose a lb a week. (i'm 5'4', 114lbs). i never feel hungry and i exercise and eat those calories and its fine! well as part of the reserves i have to serve some 'active" time. so starting this week i'm out on base sitting behind a computer all day (activity level goes down, calories go down). i changed my settings to reflect my less active job now and also changed to lose 1/2lb a week to give myself a few extra calories (i'm now at 1320). this is what i've had so far today:

breakfast:
    blueberry fiber 1 toaster pastry (190cal)
    banana (105cal)
    fat free yogurt (100cal)

lunch:
    turkey sandwich (160cal)
    pear (100cal)

snacks:
    8 reduced fat wheat thins (65cal)
    1 wedge laughing cow cheese (35cal)
    apple (80cal)
    100 cal pack of fudge stripe cookies (100cal)
    1/2 oz smoked almonds (85cal)

that puts me at 1020cal, with only 300 left for the rest of the day. its not even 4pm and i'm soooooo hungry. i mean, stomach growling hungry. oh and yes, i've been drinking water. i've already had 8 bottles of water today. it just seems like everyday since i've been sitting on my butt out here i'm sooooo hungry by the end of the day!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try having a can of soup (you can find them for about 250 calories or under for the whole can) and another protein and fiber filled snack for around 100 calories. The protein and fiber will stay with you longer than carbs and fat.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Sorry, I don't really know what to tell you, I alot of times feel like you do. The only thing I would say is to excercise so you gain more calories to eat. You don't have to eat them all, just whatever your comfortable with. I eat about half of mine. Fiber, protein, and whole grains are your friends. Sneaking in some veggies too may help, salads are usually pretty low-cal if you think side salad. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • jelee18
    jelee18 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'd try to cut back on the sugars (no fruits after morning) and carbs. Up your fiber and protein. Maybe even introduce a fiber supplement into your day. I find an egg white omlette (3 eggs) with fresh spinach, tomato, and fat free feta cheese, with a piece of whole grain toast (with peanut butter or cream cheese) to be filling and get me started. I'll have an apple as a snack. For lunch I opt for lean cuisine in the cold weather and stick with salads in the warm weather. Some nuts or cheese in the late afternoon. For dinner I go for chicken, soup, or salmon usually. For dessert I have some fat free ricotta cheese sprinkled with some mocha flavored splenda or fat free pudding or jello. Drink plenty of water and keep some gum or sugar free hard candies on hand to keep your mouth busy when you're not eating.
  • gia80
    gia80 Posts: 8
    Options
    One thing that has helped me a lot is to eat a smaller breakfast. If I can keep it to about 200 calories (a slim fast shake, a banana & peanut butter, or toast, etc.) then I find that I almost always have calories left over at the end of the day!

Allow yourself another 150 cal or 200 cal snack around 10:30 (string cheese & apple)... and you might find also that you feel less hungry at noon meal, and then on top of that, there will be plenty of calories left over for evening meal and snack! :glasses:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    do a workout, it'll earn you some extra calories!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    You can mix up a protein shake (100 cal) with lots of ice in the blender. The air will make you feel full
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    how about a hard boiled egg or 2, you need some protein
  • kchabby76
    Options
    (i'm 5'4', 114lbs).

You DONT need to lose weight. I am also 5'4" and I used to be 135 lbs. If anything you need to eat more. You probably have a very high metabolism which is what it sounds like. I wouldn't worry about eating more food.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    for today I would just suggest a bit of a work out so you can eat more. Other days I would suggest cutting way down on the fruit and maybe even the number of snacks. Fruit is good and very important, but you really need to eat more veggies too (it sounds like). You should only be eating about 1.5 cups of fruit a day and about 2.5 cups of veggies. MyPyramid.gov will tell you how many servings of each food group you should be eating based on you age, gender, height and weight. It's full of good tips! I use it along with this site and my nutrition text to make sure I get adequate nutrients.
  • kellisimpson
    Options
    Try eating more whole foods between breakfast and lunch

for example, have some

museli for breakfast with soya milk ( if find this more filling), and this normally has
    added nuts but oats are slow release energy therefore will make u feel fuller longer

or peanut butter on wholemeal toast...

lunch try sprinkling toasted seeds on a sald with a filling topping such as grilled chicken,
    oven roasted veg, fish... anything low fat!!
    and have maybe a yoghurt after?

hope that helps