CURVES ... Good or Bad for me??

Options
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm feeling desperate here.. Like seriously. I joined Curves the other week. I know I shouldn't expect a miracle but I feel that some weight loss should have happened.

Do I want to ask why I am actually heavier ?
Do you think they will say muscle weighs heavier than fat ?
Do I want to be spending £29 / month for 3 visits a week when I have a cycle and rowing machine upstairs ?

I've not started this topic to diss "Curves" but.... is it really for me ?

I have 3 stone to lose.... at least. Maybe I should just focus on my calories for the time being ???

A little advice will go a long way here my friends xxx

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The only problem with exercise is that it can make you overeat. if you track your calories here though, that won't be a problem. Exercise! As a man though, I can't comment on curves. They are always in sleezy strip malls around here.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    i tryied curves and it was boring to me and way to easy that you can do it at home i think. That is my obinion.
    One thing..did you enjoy the workout? Can you see yourself going there every other day everyweek, if it isnt sustainable as far as injoyable id say dotn do it. If you enjoy it then keep doing it.

I think the only good exercise is one you would enjoy doing.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Curves for a few months right before I got pregnant (and then quit). My issue with it was that it wasn't very scientific. I like to measure my progress, but the machines really aren't geared toward that. I think the only real way to track progress would be something like one of those monitors you can wear, or taking your heart rate. That's a small gripe, but it did bug me. When I went to a typical gym, I could use a specific amount of weight or resistance, count reps, etc.

A week is too soon to give up on it, in my opinion. I found that their diet plan was pretty effective. You eat 1200 calories for two weeks, then 1600 for two, to keep your body from going into starvation mode.
  • emilyajones
    Options
    When I frst started MFP i was considering joining curves but then I thought 3 times a week excrcise isnt for me, simply because Id get bored and wouldnt go. I have to do things every day in order to stick with them which is why I joined a gym and went 5 times a week.

But if you have equipment at home, and join curves it may help you because you can use your own equipment away from curves and I hear they have fantastic support networks from staff and members alike.

Do what makes you feel comfortable basically :)
  • dbilli
    dbilli Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves last year. In 6 months, I was down 18 pounds. I loved it! I made wonderful friends there, and I followed their fitness and weight management plan. Our Curves closed, and I have gained most of the weight back. I can only tell you, do what works for you, but Curves worked for me!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think you've answered the question yourself, personally i would use the equipment you have at home. Why not save the money and buy a HRM which would give you a more accurate calories burn so you can adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

Good luck on your journey and stay motivated.
  • sw00266
    Options
    I agree...if you enjoy your workout, the more likely you are to stick with it.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I joined a Curves in my neighborhood. I went there literally five days a week for six straight months. I did everything they said. I gained weight! After six months, I felt like it wasn't helpful to me at all, and I gave it up. That was my experience. I have a lot better results (and it's way cheaper) if I keep a close eye on my calories (esp carbs) and get in three cardio workouts each week. Good luck!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Dont give up!!!! I joined Curves about 6 weeks ago and started dieting as well... I go in every morning at 5:30 am and do the 30 min circuit training then in the afternoons I go in and do ZUMBA for 45 minutes sometimes I stay a while and do the other machines they have also..it has worked for me. So far 30 lbs..my friend joined with me and she has gained 2 lbs in these past 6 weeks and is frustrated but she has lost inches and confessed to not eating healthy along the way... do what works for you but I have faith in Curves..I must say that it is true that the 30 minute workout is not very much but its a good place to start..
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL !!!

Decision has been made. Work from home :smile:

My husband has just txt me to say that we will do it together and we can go walking on the Malvern Hills at the weekend to start.

Many many thanks again. I just needed that little kick.

xxx
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    I have been a Curves member for 4 months now. When I first began, I lost 1 lb in 2 weeks. :frown: Definitely not what I was expecting either. So I decided to begin Curves Smart! A miracle for me, I believe. The weight started to fall off and my flab, well lets just say it began to transform. Each week, I enjoy my 25 minute Curves Smart routine and generally a few 45 minute walks. All in all, 4 months later, 34 lbs and I still have a ways to go but I am losing and toning.
    Not to be discouraging, but weight loss/life style change is not something that is instant. However, it can last forever!