HRM Question

Hello,

I have a general question regarding heart rate monitors. Has anyone ever worn a heart rate monitor all day to see the amount of calories they burn on a normal day without exercising? I was thinking of doing that and using that number to estimate the number of calories I need to eat in order to lose more weight instead of the formula that is given by MFP.

Any ideas???/

Replies

• Wouldnt be accurate. A bodymedia or bodybugg would be needed
  • I was wondering the same thing! I was told no because it's really only supposed to be used when we're excercising. You would want something like a BodyBugg or Fitbit to wear all day and track your calories used all day. I was going back and forth between a HRM and one of those, but the bodybugg is bulky to wear on your arm all day and the fitbit didnt seem very accurate.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I've been wondering the same thing. Although, thing is, if your boss pisses you off your heartrate will go up, but you won't be burning more calories.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Ok, so why would a bodybugg work but not HRM? (assume I'm ignorant and explain please) Thanks!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    I have a Polar FT4, I have never worn it all day but I don't know what you couldn't other than that it beeps when you aren't in the fat burning zone so you would have to listen to that.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I have a Polar FT4, I have never worn it all day but I don't know what you couldn't other than that it beeps when you aren't in the fat burning zone so you would have to listen to that.

you can turn that off =] i wear mine in gym and didn't want to beep the entire time I run lol.

OP it's already been mentioned but it wouldn't be accurate I think there's a lot higher chances of it misreading the heart rate. Mine has shot up to 225 before lol when I've never even been close to that lol.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I've heard the same thing about HRMs not being accurate for all day use. Tried checking the Polar website and didn't find much information however, it's my understanding that because the HRMs are intended for training, they will stop calculating calories when your heart rate goes below say 100 for an extended period of time.

However, units like the BodyBugg are intended/built for all day use.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks all!!!