Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use the Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla and like it in things. Mostly I add it to my coffee, and protein shakes. It is fine in my cereal as well. For those purposes it is great. It adds to my calcium and potassium intake with little extra sugar.

As a replacement to that glass of milk to go with a cookie or brownie? It is a poor substitute. Since that is not something I do often, it is no big loss though.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand almond milk. As for calcium, the only way almond milk can compare to real milk is if it's added calcium, because almond milk itself (without fortification) is a very poor source of calcium - might as well just pop a supplement.

If the cals bug you, just dilute it half and half with water.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Alright, sell me on almond milk. Is it really better for you than skim milk?
    What is your definition of "better for you"?
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love it, I use it everyday! It works great in my protein shake! I get the vanilla unflavored one by Almond breeze and its perfect. 40cals a cup, and extremely low on carbs and fats. Even if your only going to use it for your shake, or just to have a small glass with breakfast, it is definitely worth it with the calorie comparison. It tends to taste like a vanilla milkshake (the sweetened one moreso), but I love it for my morning coffee and my shakes!!

Hope this helps!!
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    p.s. nothing actually compares to good ole' fashioned milk and cookies, however it's in the top 5 ( !!!! )
    And I get coupons for it online all the time, go to the manufacturer and see if you can get anything. Almond breeze offers more than silk does.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of unsweetened Almond Breeze (any flavor) over skim milk. It's 50% less calories, too.

Aside from that, I can't consume too much dairy or my face breaks out (due to the hormones they give the cows to produce more milk, I assume).

Try it for a couple weeks.. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the skim milk. :)
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I prefer the taste of unsweetened Almond Breeze (any flavor) over skim milk. It's 50% less calories, too.

Aside from that, I can't consume too much dairy or my face breaks out (due to the hormones they give the cows to produce more milk, I assume).

Try it for a couple weeks.. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the skim milk. :)

The hormones occur naturally since the cows are usually pregnant while lactating (it increases milk production without added hormones) - at most, all added hormones contribute in milk is 10% increase of igf-1. Milk is supposed to make baby cows grow up, so obviously milk will have hormones that is necessary to do that. There's a correlation to acne and milk regardless of whether the cows are organic or not. Some people are just prone to breakouts while drinking milk because of this. (http://themilkblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-milk-causes-acne.html)

Anywho, I switched to almond milk when I cut regular milk out of my diet (I still use heavy cream, but I can't use the skim I used to love). It took me a while to get used to it, but I love it in protein shakes for breakfast now. I blend it with a few tablespoons of coconut milk for added fat and the protein powder. It's fantastic. I get the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla.

I don't mind the lack of calcium, since I try to get my calcium from better sources like dark leafy greens, which I highly recommend because I think no matter what sort of diet you're on, dark leafy greens are always a good thing.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have almond milk instead of skim milk because I love the taste of almond milk. I also like the fact that there's less sugar in almond milk, so I can have more carbs in other forms without going over that goal. It's also nice to have less calories because then I can have slightly more of something else. But I didn't honestly look at nutrition before hand, I honestly bought it for taste. I'm just down with the less cals and sugars. And even though it does have less protein, my diary is chock full of protein from other places, so that part doesn't matter to me. I luvs meh meat, lol.
  • pcmaster112
    Options
    I used to buy almond milk the blue diamond but i was looking at the price its like $5 a container. I now get the skim milk from costco two containers for $5 dollars. But anyway as long as you count the calories you should be ok...