what is REAL purpose of HRM?

Options
I have seen it alot in here about HRM but can't find any post about WHY we need it. I talked to a trainer at the gym and he said that we don't need HRM but to use calories tracker if you want to keep track of calories burns, he showed me his calories "watch". I asked my doctor and she too said there's no need for a HRM. Like the trainer,, she agrees that calories tracker is good.

One thing I found out, calories tracker tends to be cheaper than HRM.

So back to my main question.. Why are you using HRM if you are only using it for tracking calories burned?

Lee

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    How does a calorie tracker track the calories if it doesn't go off of heart rate? Isn't it just an estimate, like what you can find here? Am I just confused?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    How does a calorie tracker track the calories if it doesn't go off of heart rate? Isn't it just an estimate, like what you can find here? Am I just confused?

This was my thought.

HRM are way more accurate. Making the margin of error smaller
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Fashion statement
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to have it. It will not mess up your weight-loss goals, but it does help give accurate amounts of calories lost.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    And I was being serious, I guess I don't know what OP means by a calorie tracker that ISN'T an HRM, and how would that work?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

This was my thought.

Actually, the good calorie trackers like BodyMedia FIT and Bodybug don't go off of HR, and they are clinically proven to be far more accurate. Especially since they can be used 100% of the time, not just while you are working out.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I used online calorie trackers like the one found here and found that they were WAY OFF! This is really terrible for someone like myself who is trying to do everything right, including eating back my exercise calories. I found that the calorie trackers far overestimate calories burned, a lot of times even double!

If it is a calorie tracker that you wear like a watch, it will use heart rate and oxygen consumption to calculate calories burned. It isn't accurate without a chest strap. Regarding HRM, in addition to being far more accurate for calories burned, there are cardio zones for fat burning and fitness. If I am doing cardio I try to fall into my proper zones.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    a HRM is attached to me, reading my HR, so its going to give me the best estimate of calories burned.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

This was my thought.

Yeah I agree! Plus I like knowing my heart rate, its good to log and keep track of! :bigsmile: I dont know how I did it before I got mine!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    HRM with a chest strap is simply more accurate than any other method of estimating calories. you don't need one, but if you really want to know the amount of calories you've burnt, its the only way.

as for cost, you can find a Polar HRM with chest strap for around $50. its not the latest and greatest model, but it doesn't sound like you're someone who cares about unnecessary bells and whistles (I know that I'm not).

EDIT: unless your trainer and/or doctor are trying to lose weight, then they wouldn't need a precise calorie count...an estimate would be okay for them. if, however, you're trying to determine how many calories to eat back while on a calorie counting program like MFP, then the more accurate is preferred. you get more accurate with a HRM that comes with a chest strap.
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    maybe *more* accurate- but still not a dead ringer. Heart rate still only estimates calories burned, there are lots of reasons you get your heart rate up that don't appreciably burn more calories- like anxiety, and its only a good estimate for cardio, not strength or resistance training.

That said, I own a polar FT4 HRM and love it because it helps me better assess how hard I'm working. I just take its estimates as estimates.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Good start Avalonis. So if the BodyBugg doesn't track off heart rate, how does it track calories burned? I know I can google it, but humor me if you know. :)

If something is better than what I have to get me to my goal, I'm all for at least considering it.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have used both.... HRM are helpful when training and they can help you stay in specific heart rate zones. I like to see my burn also as it's an indication of whether or not I am over training. My BodyMediaFit was okay, but I disliked wearing it all the time... and there was no HR indication.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you want specifics on the body bugg, i wrote a whole blog about it.... called 'buggin' out" over on my blog... payfitforward.net
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I like mine so I can track my HR and keep me in the correct zone. And helps me get the most out of my workout.
    Seems to be the most accurate for tracking cals burned too.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    If you want specifics on the body bugg, i wrote a whole blog about it.... called 'buggin' out" over on my blog... payfitforward.net

Great thanks, I will go look now!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :smile: I use my HRM to remind me to work hard enough. I have had days when I get on a machine, hold on to the sides & stroll along....NOT good enough to work my heart or drop LBS. I also find it shocking how quickly I get up to my Maximum Heart Rate - so it gives me a goal to work towards - meaning I want my heart to be conditioned enough that I don't shoot up to 180 after 30 seconds of running....I probably should be embarrased by that admission - but I wanted to give a concrete example of why they can be important....maybe not necessary for weight loss - but really good for cardiovascular training....
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight on MFP to lower my cholesterol by calorie counting and treadmill walking.

Being 50 I also wanted to do weight bearing exercise (walking) and exercise my heart. I asked my Doctor about heart health and he said excerise for 30minutes a day with your heart rate over 100. I suppose if I got a HRM I could keep track of it but I'm pretty sure mine gets up there on the treadmill as it has a pulse rate monitor.

SO...if attached to a machine like me for exercise I think you don't need one....if you are walking outside etc you might ...to keep an accurate track. I used to walk around the block and I'm sure I wasn't exercising hard enough for my heart's health.

Hope this helps

PS I'm not an expert....

:flowerforyou:
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like mine so I can track my HR and keep me in the correct zone. And helps me get the most out of my workout.
    Seems to be the most accurate for tracking cals burned too.

This...I don't know how anything could track accurately without detecting a heart rate. My Polar FT7 is the best piece of "equipment" I have ever invested in.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I use mine mostly for cals, but I also use it as a stop watch, and also to see my heart rate. I like to see roughly where I am at.

especially if doing some interval training...

but yes...it's not mandatory, but probably a nice to have and convenience if wanting to lose weight and see cals burned.

don't know much about bodybugg...but heard some good things. but seems more $ and I think there is a monthly or yearly subscription fee.