Chocolate Mousse.

Options
neanderthin
neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
I make this once in a while and it's definitely a keeper. I was taught this recipe while cooking in France, not that that makes a difference, but just wanted to say that it's the ingredients that makes the difference. I look at some of the recipes for chocolate mousse, and wonder what type of degree in nutritional science is needed to make them. Anyway without further ado.

INGREDIENTS

8 oz of Belgium dark chocolate
5 tbsps of water (can replace water with a liquor)
5 eggs separated
pinch of salt
1 tbsp of sugar

METHOD

Over a double boiler melt the chocolate and water slowly, the chocolate should be warm, not hot. Take off heat and whip in the egg yolks, one at a time. Whip egg whites adding a pinch of salt and half way through add the sugar. You want the whites to be stiff but not dry. Add in 1 or 2 big dollops of the whites and blend into the chocolate to lighten up the mixture. Add the remaining whites in 2 stages, folding gently each time. Scrape into individual dishes or into one large container, your choice, and let sit in the fridge overnight.

This is deceivingly simple, which is what makes it so good. If your using the one bowl method, use a large spoon heated under hot water then dried to scrap the chocolate out in a quenelle fashion for presentation. Belgium chocolate is a must or another equally as good high quality dark chocolate.

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Love it already :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I love the Jello Mousse snacks, SOOO yum and low cal too!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i just have one question.... how does it taste when spread on skin?
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nom nom NOM!!! Saved this one... any idea of cal values? :)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Not as good as adding vodka to it as well. lol
  • opalw
    opalw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :embarassed:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I make this once in a while and it's definitely a keeper. I was taught this recipe while cooking in France, not that that makes a difference, but just wanted to say that it's the ingredients that makes the difference. I look at some of the recipes for chocolate mousse, and wonder what type of degree in nutritional science is needed to make them. Anyway without further ado.

INGREDIENTS

8 oz of Belgium dark chocolate
    5 tbsps of water (can replace water with a liquor)
    5 eggs separated
    pinch of salt
    1 tbsp of sugar

METHOD

Over a double boiler melt the chocolate and water slowly, the chocolate should be warm, not hot. Take off heat and whip in the egg yolks, one at a time. Whip egg whites adding a pinch of salt and half way through add the sugar. You want the whites to be stiff but not dry. Add in 1 or 2 big dollops of the whites and blend into the chocolate to lighten up the mixture. Add the remaining whites in 2 stages, folding gently each time. Scrape into individual dishes or into one large container, your choice, and let sit in the fridge overnight.

This is deceivingly simple, which is what makes it so good. If your using the one bowl method, use a large spoon heated under hot water then dried to scrap the chocolate out in a quenelle fashion for presentation. Belgium chocolate is a must or another equally as good high quality dark chocolate.

Great recipe!
    Most peeps don't know what a quenelle is so here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJOo67Xrqc

Also, it tastes amazing on skin, but it starts to melt instantly. Be quick!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Not as good as adding vodka to it as well. lol

chocolate mousse and vodka body shots! i'll be the first to test this combo...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

:Taking notes:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Thanks Karin, that was a great demo, thanks for adding the link.