Gym=Necessary?

Options
I want to start going back to the gym, but financially, I don't think I can afford it. I know there are some gyms that cost less than $40 a month, but that's almost a 3/4th of a tank of gas for me [stupid premium]. I know when you have a variety of exercise equipment, you have a better chance at losing weight, but do you find it necessary? I have a few things I can do for exercising at my house, so do you think I'm really missing out?

Just in case you're wondering, I have:
--a mini trampoline
--exercise ball
--exercise dvds
--the wonderful outdoors to walk in
--jump rope
--resistant bands

Am I in need of anything else?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Nah! If it doesn't fit in your budget, then don't bother with the gym membership.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You need not forget a GREAT pair of shoes!! Also motivation! ;-) Good luck!!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

I have almost exactly the same as you at home (plus an exercise bike and a mini stepper) but, for me, the gym is still essential.

I think it comes down to motivation. I would not exercise enough at home alone, however much equipment I had. I know I wouldn't.

I need to be in gym classes with choreographed moves, an instructor and lots of other people.

But that's just me. If you have the motivation then you have enough equipment at home.
  • tickletickle
    Options
    you have the whole world as a gym.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try bodyrock.tv for some really good workouts - they are free and don't require much equipment - she usually gives alternatives for people that don't have the equipment she uses.
    I don't think you need to go to a gym unless it helps you stay consistent.
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    Nope, definitely NOT!

In case you also own a free will and motivation -- I'd say HIT IT!!! :-)))

Go visit http://www.nerdfitness.com or http://www.bodyrock.tv for further information on the my-home-is-my-castle-is-my-gym-revolution that's going to take over the world. There are also pretty cool workouts as well as all kinds of FREE tips for ... everything ;-)))

Have fun and do what you can where you are with what you have!
  • nik1970
    nik1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is a great calorie burning exercise. I have one and use it regularly. If you can get some cardio in through jump rope or exercise DVD i think that would be great.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Weights? Strength training is important.

Planet Fitness has $10 a month memberships. They don't offer child care or a pool, but it suffices for me as I go early in the morning and knock everything out before work. They also have a pay in full option for a year for $109.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not at all. If you look in the Success Stories part of the message board, you will see a post from a member who lost 92 pounds without ever going to the gym (or having surgery) - all in the comfort of her home. She's incredible!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    one word: Beachbody! Changed me. All in the comforts of my basement. lol You can develope your own workouts from your DVD's as well as other programs and do them at home. I mix and match from Men's health beachbody DVD's Primal Blue Print workouts. I create workouts for 3 months at a time. Write them down and check them off. No gym needed!
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe some hand weights--pretty inexpensive at Target and you can buy a set at a time as you get stronger. Although, I just used cans of soup when I first started! I haven't set foot in a gym since I started, and I probably don't plan to either :) Also--check out BodyRock.tv ... free workouts that change all the time, and she always gives alternative moves for those that don't have the equipment. Good luck!
  • char2009
    Options
    bodyrock.tv check it out. all free and you don't really need anything! :)
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd get some hand weights and stay consistent. I always do better at home. There's too many reasons not to go to the gym. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I love my gym -- but it's certainly not necessary.

All you really need are some good shoes and somewhere to walk --- you have plenty of tools.
    All you need now is motivation and dedication. (and a good heart rate monitor with a chest strap so you know how many calories you're really burning)
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I want to start going back to the gym, but financially, I don't think I can afford it. I know there are some gyms that cost less than $40 a month, but that's almost a 3/4th of a tank of gas for me [stupid premium]. I know when you have a variety of exercise equipment, you have a better chance at losing weight, but do you find it necessary? I have a few things I can do for exercising at my house, so do you think I'm really missing out?

Just in case you're wondering, I have:
    --a mini trampoline
    --exercise ball
    --exercise dvds
    --the wonderful outdoors to walk in
    --jump rope
    --resistant bands

Am I in need of anything else?

I would add some free weights (I use, 5s, 8s, 10s). I guess what it really comes down to is what motivates you. I only enjoy the gym when I have someone there with me. I'm not really extroverted enough to truly get into it on my own. But, that's totally a personality thing as I know lots of people who really enjoy the gym.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Weights? Strength training is important.

Planet Fitness has $10 a month memberships. They don't offer child care or a pool, but it suffices for me as I go early in the morning and knock everything out before work. They also have a pay in full option for a year for $109.

^ Good post, especially the first line.

OP, I would recommend that you look into a pre-written bodyweight program so that you can at least get some resistance training in. A well designed bodyweight program (especially with the supplementation of resistance bands) should last you a while and would do a decent job.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I did all my weight loss at home, no gym. I had weights (up to 30 lbs), stability ball, some dvds and I ran outside.

But now I belong to a gym. It costs $10 a month (this minimum plan that only includes the machines/weights, there is a deluxe one that is $20 that includes tanning and massage chairs but I don't need any of that). I can't beat that. It is a nice gym, too. Always plenty machines, free weights and weight machines. I really love going there. Even though I am doing my own thing I like having other like minded people around working out. (I belong to Planet Fitness, see if you have one near you they call cost the same I am pretty sure).
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike? You could save a lot on gas if you use it. My car broke down a year ago in August, and I have chosen not to fix or replace it for well over a year. Instead, I rode my bike everywhere. Of course, that only works if you live somewhere that makes that possible. I first did it in a city where everything I needed was within a four mile radius. Then, I moved to the outskirts of a small town where it was a 5.5 mile ride to work. Of course, I have since joined a gym, but that doesn't mean it's necessary.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Stop buying Premium gasoline. It's probably isn't necessary. Put the savings into some good home workout equipment.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/save-at-the-pump/overview/save-at-the-pump-ov.htm

"Bottom line

Check your owner’s manual or fuel-filler door. If it says to use regular fuel, do so—there’s no advantage to a higher grade. If it says "premium required," use premium. If it says "premium recommended," try regular. Keep a log of your fuel economy. If you don’t see a change, keep using regular and enjoy the savings. "
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    you dont necessarily need a gym to work out in! like the saying goes "the world is your oyster!" If you wanted you could go to walmart and get a couple cheap resistance bands, little free weights, ankle/wrist weights and workout dvd's (starting from $7+). and like you said you have the great outdoors and maybe once every few months you can get a new workout dvd and try something new! you can always challenge yourself to run faster, longer, etc. :) Just make sure you are changing up your routine to keep challenging your body and ensure you dont get bored. There is no need to spend big bucks on a gym when you can do it yourself :)