Sodium: Should I even bother counting...?

Options
I'm 18 years old and am in my 1st year of university.
As of now, my sodium always comes under by 100-250 my goal of 2500 mg each day. But should I bother counting it at all? Are there people out there who have stopped counting and noticed water retention/weight gain?
Also, are there people who noticed no difference? xD
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's ultimately up to you but if you are not losing or start gaining, I would definitely start tracking it again. I stopped tracking it for about 3 months and then when I wasn't seeing results I went back to watching it again.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • mhig011975
    Options
    Yes, you should keep track of your sodium. Too much and you will retain water/ gain weight and it messes with your blood pressure. I try to stay around 1200-1400.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's important to track your sodium from a health aspect if not from a weight aspect.

Too much can lead to heart problems, and even if you're young and healthy, it can lead to problems in the future, so it's best to take care of your body now!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I watch it and still F is up constantly, lol. I think I do keep it in better check than I used to tho, so I hate to think how much sodium I was getting a day before.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If your sodium is under 200mg a day you run a risk of other problems -- that is not nearly enough.
    Maybe you meant 1000-2500 -- which is a little more in line.

It's important for me to track because if I go over 2500 I feel bloated and retain water way too much.
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are 100-250mg under...is it 5000mg?

you should try to avoid EXTRA salt as much as possible. 2500mg is a LOT...shoot for the 1500mg area. besides, it's a good habit to get into for later on in life. Just because you are young and your body can handle the processed foods now, doesn't mean it will always be able to. Trust me when I say old eating habits are hard to break....
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I count mine, but i'm kind of OCD about it anyway. For the most part, if i consume a crazy amount (say 3000mg in a day) i'll be a little (think 1/2 inch at the hips) bloated the next day. Other than that, my body doesn't seem to mind if it happens once and a while, but if i maintain that level for a whole weekend it shows in my face and hands on monday, so i have to watch it :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're eating. If you're eating mostly unprocessed foods like fruits and veggies fresh, then you're not going to get your sodium count up anyway.
    While if you eat nothing but pre-processed foods including those boxed "diet" meals then you'll find sodium hard to keep under.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    If your sodium is under 200mg a day you run a risk of other problems -- that is not nearly enough.
    Maybe you meant 1000-2500 -- which is a little more in line.

It's important for me to track because if I go over 2500 I feel bloated and retain water way too much.

she's right. that's not ENOUGH. we NEED salt to function properly, but under 2000mg a day is right about where you should aim.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I dont track it at all. For heatlh reasons you may wish to. For weightloss reasons you're only really monitoring water weight fluctuations, which is largely irrelevant IMO.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't track it either. Too depressing. I eat a lot of processed food and am not willing to give up the convenience of them.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always track Sodium because I have Heart disease in my family and considered high risk by my Doctor. So far I haven't had any problems although my younger sister has had a major stroke. I believe I haven't had any problems cos I keep my sodium low