Carbs Vs. Calories

Options
Hey everyone xD
So lately I've been doing pretty well on my 1200 calorie plan. Note that I am very sedentary; i'm a uni student and other than walking around campus, I don't have the energy/time to work out.
Many days, i notice that i come about 20-30 carbs shy of what is alloted to me under my diet plan. I really want to eat up those carbs though because I like bannas, apples, and pasta. But i've been eating pretty low carb for a while now.
If I bump up my carbs but still stay under what MFP has recommended for me, will I gain weight? xP

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no
  • mhig011975
    Options
    you could gain weight. Carbs are our bodies fuel source, and if we don't use our carbs they get turned to fat cells. I think this is correct. I hope this answered your question.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    you could gain weight. Carbs are our bodies fuel source, and if we don't use our carbs they get turned to fat cells. I think this is correct. I hope this answered your question.

Sparta.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will not gain weight.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Staying way under an already extremely low 1200 number -- will be a problem in the long run for most people.

I have no idea how tall you are, what you weigh, what your goal is etc - so I can't check your stats.

In general since you say you walk a lot everyday I would choose "lightly active" as your activity level.
    Then based on yhow much you need to lose, choose the correct optioln -- then actually EAT that number.
    Your goal already has a deficit built in to lose weight --- so staying way under is counter-productive.

Setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week

EDIT: PS If I upped my carbs and lowered my protein I would have a harder time feeling full, not overeating and pasta type carbs make me feel bloated and lazy. I would not do extreme low carb ketosis level for any length of time though. I changed my settings to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and it works good for me.
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Wrong. If you stay under your calories while eating more carbs, you will not gain weight. The issue is, carbs (particularly simple carbs) tend to cause rapid blood sugar spikes, followed by insulin spikes which subsequently cause our blood sugar to quickly crash (undershoot the normal blood sugar level) before returning to normal. This causes you to quickly feel hungry again. If you can resist the urge to eat in this period and therefore stay under your calories, you're golden!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    This thread is quite similar to one that was posted by someone who has the exact same pic as you and stole your user name a few days ago. Not the EXACT same, but pretty close. There might be helpful answers in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/368323-carbs-driving-me-crazy
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes initially but over a couple of days you will return back to your current weight or less if you maintained your deficit. so don't be shocked my an initial gain....plus 20-30g extra probably won't make that much of a difference. Also, Try sneaking a late night or early morning jog even if its for 20 mins. I am a uni student as well and i find time for exercise. Exercise allows you to maintain your weight once its all off..otherwise you will loose weight but will gain it back the moment you make a wrong choice at dinner lol...just saying tho...goodluck!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    yes initially but over a couple of days you will return back to your current weight or less if you maintained your deficit. so don't be shocked my an initial gain....plus 20-30g extra probably won't make that much of a difference. Also, Try sneaking a late night or early morning jog even if its for 20 mins. I am a uni student as well and i find time for exercise. Exercise allows you to maintain your weight once its all off..otherwise you will loose weight but will gain it back the moment you make a wrong choice at dinner lol...just saying tho...goodluck!

Quick question:

Are you telling the OP that she will initially gain weight from fat, then after a few days it will return back to current? All from eating carbs? Please clarify. Thanks.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the weight gain will not be from fat....mostly water as a higher than normal influx of carbs causes water retention...
  • albragg
    albragg Posts: 55
    Options
    This thread is quite similar to one that was posted by someone who has the exact same pic as you and stole your user name a few days ago. Not the EXACT same, but pretty close. There might be helpful answers in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/368323-carbs-driving-me-crazy

hahah.