HDL Cholesterol 131?

Options
What am I doing to cause it to be so high? Anybody have any idea why a high HDL would be bad, because my total is just barely over 200. Thanks.

Replies

• Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You want HDL to be high...its LDL you don't want to be high.

If you are taking omega-3 supplements, exercising regularly and getting enough fiber in your diet, among other things, your HDL level should increase.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, some of it can be genetic. Mine was never "under control" until I got medication, no matter how much I exercised or how well I ate.

Edit: Granted, that's for LDL as I reread the sentence. Heh. Long day.
  • rykabethian
    rykabethian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thats uncharacteristically high and thats GOOD! Exercise and heart healthy fats plus a good diet get it that way. Good job! LDL is the bad one and you're isn't high so nothing to worry about. Total cholesterol number is nothing to fear (even if high) as long as the LDL and triglycerides are in range.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My doctor flagged that as a problem on my recent routine blood work panel for some reason... Just curious.
  • traceymonroe
    traceymonroe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HDL cholesterol is the healthy cholesterol. Could be high from taking Omega 3's, lots of exercise & alcohol also raises HDL. For most people you want this to be at least 50 or higher in general. Are you sure it was not your LDL's?
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking as long as your total cholesterol is <200 mg/dL, your HDL is ≥ 40 mg/dL, your LDL is <130 mg/dL, and your VLDL is <30 mg/dL with triglycerides <150 mg/dL you're cholesterol is likely just fine, but it's possible your doctor is thinking about the possibility of extremely high HDL being atherogenic, but what is considered "very high" is not specific, and why this "very high" level of HDL produces such a paradoxical effect is completely unknown. And your total cholesterol is borderline high.

I think you should talk to your doctor about getting a VAP cholesterol screen which will return a much more detailed look at your cholesterol, apolipoproteins, and other risk factors.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    No I am certain, it is the HDL... I do exercise fairly intensely on a regular basis and I am a regular red wine drinker and I stay away from sweets. Personal choice, I prefer salty snacks.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    I also include some pretty fancy fish oil supplements and an omega oil. supplement I use to make my good seasons Italian dressing...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My doctor flagged that as a problem on my recent routine blood work panel for some reason... Just curious.

Ask the doctor about it then. No one on here is really qualified to give you medical advice.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor, but it seems that a total cholesterol of 200 is too high, no matter how good HDL is. An ideal total is somewhere under 150, which according to many studies, makes you "heart-attack proof". Contrary to popular opinion, dietary intake of cholesterol does affect blood cholesterol levels in many (if not most) individuals. If you want to experiment without taking drugs, you could try reducing your dietary cholesterol intake. If the doctor wants to put you on medication, I would pursue this route first.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You are truly BLESSED to have an HDL level that high. It's the TOTAL CHOLESTEROL of 200 that you need to bring down. Keeping the total that high increases your risk for blockage in your coronary (heart) arteries.

SUGGESTION: Make an appointment with your physician and BRING: a print out of your daily food diary from the previous 14 days.

In preventative medical care, we can CHANGE the LIFESTYLE BEHAVIORS that we can CHOOSE to CHANGE:

--- smoking: IF you are using any tobacco products, you are loading your coronary arteries with a lot of plaque and other chemical compounds as a result of that behavior. You are also hardening all the blood vessels in your entire body. When they are less elastic/flexible, it increases the blood pressure and increases the risk of a major stroke (can be paralytic with/without loss of speech ability).

--- exercise: If you are sedentary (not exercising at all), you would be wise to consider physical activity that will get your heart rate up to TARGET RATE (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/moser9.htm) and keep it at that level for a minimum of 20 minutes (plus ADD 10 minutes warmup period and 10 minutes cool down) for a total time of 40 minutes. Minimum times per week 3-4. Five times per week is best.

--- nutrition: Select foods that are LOW in fat (watch out for HIDDEN FATS). When you do the grocery shopping, start reading ALL the labels of things you usually buy. It will take you longer to shop when you first start reading the labels but you will soon learn what it best and what to avoid.

--- cooking/preparing meals: AVOID frying anything in the frying pan and NEVER the deep fryer. Those great donuts, the buffalo wings, the french fries, those juicy jumbo loaded-with-everything-cheeseburgers, milkshakes, etc. and gunking up all the insides of your coronary arteries. How many heart attacks and/or strokes will it take for any of us to learn proper, accurate, PORTION CONTROL before our heart tells us "I quit". Yes, you guessed it~~~I was that person of whom I speak (all except for the smoking part). That was 11+ months ago.

Today: the fat pounds are gone, the BMI is down from 31 to 20.9. Accurately weighing, measuring, leveling off all excess quantities and recording a daily food journal for every single item that goes in my mouth is my new lifestyle. If I'm not doing a Power Walk DVD, I'm doing resistance band workouts. If I'm not doing those activities, I'm out on my new built-to-order AMERICAN MADE folding port-a-trike (built by Worksman Cycles in New York). If I just need a couple of items at the supermarket (3.0 mile round trip), I head to the Safeway market on foot with my crossbody shoulder bag and a tote bag for the groceries. Dancing, preferably to fast Latin music is my absolutely favorite exercise (I'm still looking for a new dance partner who can also follow the "beat" of the music).

When all else has been done and you have changed all that you can choose to change, if the cholesterol levels are still high, then you may need to discuss medication choices with your primary physician to bring it down and keep it low. By the way, I'm a former coronary care nurse (was a registered nurse with 20+ years of clinical practice & I also earned two Masters degrees in education)
  • hikeout470
    Options

Ask the doctor about it then. No one on here is really qualified to give you medical advice.

I am not an idiot. I question my doctor and I will research further. But thank you for your concern.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I am not an idiot. I question my doctor and I will research further. But thank you for your concern.

I didn't accuse you of being one. Calm down.
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has good information regarding HDL/LDL, However, as most things regarding our bodies there is a lot of wiggle room regarding the science. He may have flagged it to ask what you were doing. Habits known to help don't always make a difference. I get blood work done every year because I have bad blood in the family so my doc watches all my #'s. This past year I gained almost 30 pounds but dropped my total cholesterol from 170 to 139. I was not taking any supplements. So to me it's kind of a total crap-shoot. Someone can say do this or do that and none of it may end up working. Or it all could!
  • hikeout470
    Options

I am not excited, Just doing research and this is a great place to get some answers about personal experiences. I do not trust our current medical system. Heck, I endured some crappy things because of them. 4 MONTHS in college with walking pneumonia. I DO NOT Plan to ever go through that again. I am a bad patient, and for the family a patients advocate. It is the only way to get answers. I plan to be a bad patient for life...., And apparently mine is going to be like my grandmothers. All 97 years.
  • Pangui
    Options

I am not excited, Just doing research and this is a great place to get some answers about personal experiences. I do not trust our current medical system. Heck, I endured some crappy things because of them. 4 MONTHS in college with walking pneumonia. I DO NOT Plan to ever go through that again. I am a bad patient, and for the family a patients advocate. It is the only way to get answers. I plan to be a bad patient for life...., And apparently mine is going to be like my grandmothers. All 97 years.

I think you are right to question your doctor. While they may be educated enough to perform medical services, they are only people like us. They make the same mistakes and come with their own set of biases. They don't even mandate nutrition classes in medical school. I used to visit my doctor several times a year for continuous colds and bronchitis. I was morbidly obese and he never once mentioned my weight. I have lost over a third of the excess pounds and almost all of my health issues are gone. I think doctors are prone to treat most ailments with pills and antibiotics, when what we really need is a lifestyle change. Granted, most patients aren't willing to go that route, but at least the doctors should be giving us the information that our well-being is linked more to what we put in our bodies on a daily basis than to anything else.

"Let food by thy medicine" --Hippocrates
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    IContrary to popular opinion, dietary intake of cholesterol does affect blood cholesterol levels in many (if not most) individuals. If you want to experiment without taking drugs, you could try reducing your dietary cholesterol intake.

Though I think it's prudent for those with high cholesterol to follow doctor's recommendations to decrease dietary cholesterol to see if their bodies will respond positively, I'd like to see a source for your assertion here.

It's not popular "opinion" but rather scientifically proven at this point: for MOST people, dietary cholesterol has little if any effect on serum cholesterol, and it's the mix of fats consumed that influences cholesterol in the bloodstream:

Kratz M. Dietary cholesterol, atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2005:195-213.
    Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006; 9:8-12.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Your cholesterol looks good. Be glad that your HDL is that high. I wish mine was that high. It could be due to your oil intake. I know coconut oil and palm kernel oil raises HDL pretty well over time. Like others have said, it could also be hereditary.

You said your total is just over 200. That means your LDL is pretty good. I wouldn't fret about the 200 number. It's just a number someone made up to get more people on prescription drugs. I've read that too high HDL can be bad too but that's in excess of 130. So once again you are fine. Don't let them put you on any drugs.
  • Pangui
    Options
    IContrary to popular opinion, dietary intake of cholesterol does affect blood cholesterol levels in many (if not most) individuals. If you want to experiment without taking drugs, you could try reducing your dietary cholesterol intake.

Though I think it's prudent for those with high cholesterol to follow doctor's recommendations to decrease dietary cholesterol to see if their bodies will respond positively, I'd like to see a source for your assertion here.

It's not popular "opinion" but rather scientifically proven at this point: for MOST people, dietary cholesterol has little if any effect on serum cholesterol, and it's the mix of fats consumed that influences cholesterol in the bloodstream:

Kratz M. Dietary cholesterol, atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2005:195-213.
    Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006; 9:8-12.

If you insist, here are some studies that show a correlation between dietary cholesterol intake and serum cholesterol levels:

http://www.bmj.com/content/314/7074/112.abstract

http://www.ajcn.org/content/69/4/632.short

http://www.ajcn.org/content/25/6/589.full.pdf+html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC370171/

Anecdotally, I have personally witnessed many individuals, who have eliminated animal products (the only products containing dietary cholesterol) from their diet, significantly lower their cholesterol levels, my husband and myself included. Dr. Esselstyn has worked with hundreds of patients over a period of decades, and helped them reduce their cholesterol levels significantly (below 150) by changing their diets to a whole food, plant-based approach. He does admit that in some cases (not most), the patients do need to take statin medications to get below that 150 level.

(edited to include the word "statin")
  • hikeout470
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. I will not allow them to put me on any medication. It appears to run in the family, and my diet is pretty clean with the exception of salt. I just love it. I don't even know how to or own the equipment to deep fry anything. Very few and far between with the fatty meats and sugar. Lots of greens, and I supplement the essential fatty acids. I will inquire further with the doc next week.