Treadmill?

Options
So...I started a running program in the spring and have run a couple of 5ks. I am seriously proud and I want to keep at it. But I am finding it increasingly difficult to maintain any sort of training with the change in weather. It's colder - and the big problem - it gets dark so early.

I'm a single mom with 2 little kids. So at any rate - being able to run freely outdoors requires some planning.

I've NEVER run on a treadmill before. But I'm thinking this might be my solution? But everyone I have met who runs outdoors - seems to think the treadmill is evil - and they don't partake.

From the research I have done - if I want to get a treadmill at home - I need to make the investment to get a "good" one. I'm still over 200 lbs and would be jogging on it - not walking. So the one I have sort of zones in on is about $1,500. Financially I can swing it - but it's probably not prudent......

So yeah - just looking for thoughts. Should I make the investment???

Others have suggested gym membership too - but just FYI - I live in a SMALL town with no gym. Picking up kids after work and going to another town won't work. I go to my work's gym over lunch sometimes - but wouldn't run on my lunch hour.

Replies

• brandihutchinson
    Options
    I want one SOOO bad! That's funny the people you have talked to don't like them. I'm interested in hearing why, I would like to get one myself sometime soon.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ask around, the people you know. Many people have treadmills they are using as clothes lines and would love to get them out of the way. Or look at places like craigslist, but beware of scams and try before you buy. I just purchased one from a friend, a barely used tread they paid $1000 for and I just got it for $350. you don't have to shell out big bucks!
  • crystalgreear
    crystalgreear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside and don't really like running on a treadmill but have one for the same reason. I don't like running in the dark or the rain. It is nice to have the option to run indoors, especially when I am training for an event. I bought a ProForm 590 because it was reasonable priced ($600) and got good reviews on Consumer Reports. I just didn't want to invest more than I had to because I will run outside over the treadmill any day.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I run on a treadmill during late fall and winter, it's safer and more comfortable during that time. I have owned a good treadmill in the past and I found it very effective given daycare challenges I had at that time. I would suggest watching Craigslist for a good used one. Mine was refurbished from a Gold's Gym and it cost me $600. When I moved over a year later I sold it for $600..
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    it seems like the outdoor runners hate the monotony having known the diversity of the outside.

If you are worried about investing in a treadmill that you may not like- why not get a temporary membership at a close gym for like... the three ugliest months of cold winter. That way you can find out if you want to invest in a treadmill of if it makes you want to die.

Personally, I was a treadmill runner, but I've started changing to a track, and outside in general and I don't think I can go back.

ack! I'm sorry, I clearly didn't read your last paragraph.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and like it and think it is worth it. I live in Florida and running outside in the summer is nearly unbearable. So the treadmill in the Air Conditioning is a good solution for me.

There are literally thousands of people out there who bought them with the best intentions and they are now clothes hangers. You should be able to pick up a good used one for pennies on the dollar. Check your local classifieds, Craig's list, and even eBay (you can search by miles from your home) I found a Bowflex on eBay for $350. That same model was $1850 new.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I got a $1200 treadmill at Costco for $900. Not a huge savings, but I wanted a good one that wasn't used so that I knew the history of the machine. Mine also has adjustable cushioning going from running on a pillow to running on an un-giving (street-like) surface.

It is very different than running outside. The trick is to make sure to always run with at least a 1% incline to help your body keep the same stride as outdoors. I think its totally worth having a treadmill at home (even with a gym membership) so that no matter what the weather or how lazy you feel or the time of day, you won't have an excuse to not do something. :smile:
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Total opposite.....I've never tried running outdoors, only on a treadmill at the gym. If I could I would buy a treadmill to use at home. Running outside sounds scary to me!!
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Total opposite.....I've never tried running outdoors, only on a treadmill at the gym. If I could I would buy a treadmill to use at home. Running outside sounds scary to me!!
  • LizzyMariee
    Options
    I just got a treadmill about a month ago and I love it, though I do get VERY bored looking straight at the wall in front of me. But, that's honestly my only negative thought about choosing the treadmill over just going outside. Some pros are: I can get on it anytime I want, I don't have to worry about the weather, I can get a better work out since I can make it incline (where I live there aren't many hills) and I don't have to worry about people watching me.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, and running outside in the winter is physically impossible some days. With temperatures below -30 to -40 in the very depths of January and February and icy roads it can be dangerous. So, last year I invested in a treadmill, and it was the best thing I could have done! I did get it on sale at Canadian Tire, I paid $700 on a half price sale. I read the reviews before purchasing, it is not the top of the line but not bad. I was told it could not handle running over 10mph, but I run anywhere from 5.5 mph to 8 mph, and have never had a problem. Some days, it is so miserable out, but I have no excuse not to workout. When I had a gym membership, I was always finding excuses not to go :) I was 240 pounds when I bought it, and never had a problem ( it is rated to 250).
  • SarahLovesNick
    Options
    I love the treadmill. It is way nicer on my joints and i love that i can zone out and daydream or read or watch TV while i work out. I run outsdie in the summer, but usually only if i have a race comming up and have to get my knees used to pavement. I love it. I invested in one and have never looked back.
  • megaroonies
    Options
    I can tell you that I am not a single Mom however I am a very busy Mom of two smaller boys and I work 45-50 hrs a week. Having the energy to go to the Gym on a regular basis in the evening was a struggle for me. The other reason for being torn on going to the gym is missing time with my boys because on Gym nights I would usually only see them about 45 mins before bed time. My Husband and I got a good deal from a co-worker of his on a Treadmill that retails about 700.00. I use it now in the morning about 3-5 days a week. It has helped me with my jogging. I have also done some jogging outside and on an indoor track to switch things up. It is different but I think it all helps with endurance and training. Using the treadmill is convenient for me because I do it in the mornings when they are still sleeping. I get my time with them , still lose weight and am able to run am loving more and more. Good luck.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    We have a Trimline treadmill, and have had it for about 10 years. We use it all the time, and spent about $1,500 on it, 10 years ago.

My wife is a runner, and uses the treadmill when the weather sucks, and yes, she runs on it. You want one that will stand up to the continuous use, and has a motor strong enough to continuously operate while you run. I weigh 200 pounds and can run on it without problem.

I can tell you we love ours, and have used it a LOT in ten years, with no sign of it slowing down, and it probably has logged, easily, two or three thousand hours of use.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If I buy another expensive exercise machine for my house it will be used. You can find stuff so much cheaper on ebay or craigslist. I bought my bowflex brand new for $1000 and now I can't even sell it for $300 because there are always so many people selling workout equipment for cheap.
  • ccchick
    ccchick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love my treadmill!!! I have two small boys and I would not be able to run as much as I do without it! To combat the boredom of basically running in place, I set the laptop on a table in front of the treadmill and watch tv shows on demand. You can watch most shows for free!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I have two disabled children so all my marathon training has been done inside on the treadmill (I know!). But it works out great for our family. I would suggest looking into what makes a treadmill a good one. If you are serious about running on it for years to come, invest the money in a good one. I researched back in 2007 and ended up buying a Sole F 83. It's been a great investment (price $1700 roughly). I've trained for 14 1/2 marathons and 3 fulls on it so far and am currently training for marathon #4. It's held up super!

Make sure what you buy you try out first. Run on it, really run on it. Don't be worried about what other people around you are thinking. Go all out. You'll need to know how it feels under your feet and if it shakes at all. If it shakes - don't buy it! Also the motor is a really important feature to know about. Make sure you research this good before buying. Those cheaper treadmills out there are fine for someone walking or maybe just starting out jogging but if running is your goal, you need a motor that can handle it. Also the better made treadmills come with really great warranties. I would highly recommend going to a store that only sells fitness equipment and trying out what they have. Then you can go to the Sears, Sports Authority, Costco type stores and try those. I think you'll see the difference quickly and you can decide what is better for your needs.

Edit to add: try treadmilladvisor.com for reviews and advice. Great site!
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    what about a good second hand one? so many people buy them and never use them (at least not for their intended purpose) You get a treadmill to use, the other people get it out of thier house and it stays out of the landfill......win/win/win!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Like you, I prefer running outdoors, but the summer in Miami are too hot. My husband I bought a treadmill. Ours is a SmoothFitness 9.75 (ballpark $1,500 including delivery and setup). We absolutely love it. I can run when it's hot, rainy, whatever.

Do your homework on them to determine which model is best for you. You might be able to find one on Craigslist as well. Some good deals can be had there.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    I dont' run, I walk but like many previously said, it gets darker soon and during the summer it's unbearable to walk outside (I don't stroll, I march). If it's not the humidity, then it's the no-see-ums you eat.
    I bought a treadmill yesterday, it's not a top of the line, it inclines up to 10%, has 8 different pre-programmed workouts, it counts my calories, miles and time. Think it does the heart rate too but I haven't figured that out yet. I have it set up in the garage (for now) and I like it a lot better than walking outside. I noticed that I do sweat a lot more doing 30 mins of 3.5 mph on the treadmill than opposed to walking the same distance in the same time around the lake in our neighborhood. I feel like I'm getting a better workout and my heart rate is a lot higher. I plug in my iPod with songs that keep up with the walking pace and I'm good to go.