Stressed = Eating

Options
I started dieting/getting healthy the 1st of July this year. So far I have lost 37lbs, and I am feeling good. I was getting well, exercising several times a week, and just loving my new healthy life.

Then I ended an eight year relationship, which means selling the house we own together, making new friends (since "our" friends have all taken her side), and completely starting over. This has caused me to eat. I just want to eat anything bad for me, even though I know that it is reversing everything I have done so far...

How do I stop??

Replies

• wannabefit_amanda
    Options
    Determination and realizing that your happier when your healthy! Easier said than done I know.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If hunger is not the problem, food is NOT the answer.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Determination and realizing that your happier when your healthy! Easier said than done I know.

^^^ this... there is no magic way to snap out of it, and I know from experience, so it's just going to take a whole hell of alot of will power!

YOU CAN DO IT, SO PROVE TO YOURSELF YOU CAN... CHALLENGE YOURSELF AND SEE HOW FAR YOU GO!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    everything mentioned here will be easier said than done. but try distracting yourself.. when you feel the urge to eat something, go for a walk, or do a workout dvd. try to not sit and think about it. think of all the hard work youve put into losing weight, and ask yourself if its worth it to throw it all away
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    You need to change your mindset from stressed=eating to stressed=working out.

It makes a bigger difference and will make you feel better. All you have to do is do it. No Jedi mind tricks involved.
  • RdOvt
    RdOvt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Come on Lively, you can do it! No guy is worth destroying yourself. You're too important and deserve a happy healthy life!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty evident you are eating for comfort. I don't think there is a easy solution to this problem honestly. You are changing your life, letting go of someone you loved, having stress from the financial issues that revolve around it. Maybe try calling family, watching a movie or even switching up your snacks to be only fruits or vegetables. I have also read that sensation helps with stress. Try holding on to an ice cube (I know it sounds odd but it works), taking a hot shower, opening the windows, washing your face, heating pad, etc etc.
    I am sorry your going through that, I have been married for 10 years now and I cant even imagine how you are feeling. You will get through this. <3
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. Do a craft, or something that will take your mind of things. I found doing crafts makes stress go away - nothing major just little things, scrap booking, paper mache (I am a kid at heart and love the mess). Maybe find a group of people (book club, walking group etc) with similar intrests - you will meet new people and have fun at the same time!

Sorry you are going through this, but things do get better, and when you come out on the other side wouldn't you rather look and feel good rather than having to start from the beginning?
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having a rough time, but you've just got to stop. You have to realize that you are only hurting yourself. Besides, you are single now... Gotta be all hot to find you a new hottie. Go dancing! meet people! go for walks or join some groups that do active things. Meetups or joining a gym can get you new friends that like what you like. It's hard but you can do it.
  • see_ruff_loose
    Options
    Read what you wrote here. You are the only one who can make a difference. One step at a time.

Here's a quote that popped up on my Facebook page this morning I thought was very true. Hopefully it will resonate with you as well. There is no easy answer. You have to keep living for you.

"YOU NEVER CHANGE THINGS BY FIGHTING THE EXISTING REALITY.
    TO CHANGE SOMETHING, BUILD A ANEW MODEL
    THAT MAKES THE EXISTING MODEL OBSOLETE"

– BUCKMINSTER FULLER
  • see_ruff_loose
    Options
    YOU CAN’T START THE NEXT CHAPTER OF YOUR LIFE
    IF YOU KEEP RE-READING THE LAST ONE.

Start your next chapter now! :flowerforyou: You can do this.

You must do this.

I can say from experience that it's no fun starting over and I only lost 10 pounds.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    every time you want to eat, make a tea instead.

or have a diary and write down how you feel instead.

it's a hurdle, and you will get over it.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that you ended the relationship because she was no longer healthy for YOU and your wellbeing....So what are you doing to support that (very difficult) decision?
    Take care of yourself, nurture your needs and comfort yourself but dont make choices that are unhealthy.

Sue

PS - and hang in there, although you may be questioning it now you made the right choice for you in the long run.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Stay busy! I know if sounds silly but the busier you are the less time you have to think about the negative. People have mentioned crafts, I like books, go to the park, find a hobby or club, get a dog, get a part-time job, travel, do whatever it takes so when your head hits the pillow at night, you're gone. For me this was always the best way to cope. Time heals most wounds but you've got to give it the time to do so.

Also, I noticed that when I stress I like to munch too. So, replace those unhealthy foods with things like veggies, fruit, popcorn, etc. (I like crunchy things to give me something to work on.) And if you're having a bad day, I say go ahead and have that chocolate bar (so shoot me) but exercise it off.

No one can keep you from happiness but yourself. You can make it through this.