Reebok Lawsuit - Toning Shoes?!

Options
I just received notice of a lawsuit against Reebok Eastytone, Runtone, and Traintone shoes sold in the last six months. Apparently, Reebok is getting sued because they don't have research to actually back up that the shows work. False advertising. Did anyone else receive this notification? You get $50 back, which makes the shoes practically free!!!!

Bummer that they probably don't work. Hopefully they're not harmful. I actually like my Traintones.

Shannon

Replies

• MountainMamaof2
    Options
    Yes, I got it too and filed a claim. I wonder when they $$ will be paid.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not surprised....I never really believed all the hype about the toning shoes.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    There have been a few studies i've heard of proving they don't work, but i doubt i'd sue over it. They can't be any worse for you than stillettos, right?
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my physiotherapist told me she would never ever recommend anyone wearing them! they are not healthy or natural
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    my physiotherapist told me she would never ever recommend anyone wearing them! they are not healthy or natural

Exactly! Barefoot FTW!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Since no shoe company has ever proven their shoe works, I'm sure this will be thrown out. Or they could just cause doubt and avoid a conviction.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm thinking if Reebok was sued, it's probably just a matter of time before other companies get sued as well. There's got to be at least five main producers of toning shoes: Reebok, Avia, Sketchers are ones I know off of the top of my head. I'm got a pair of Sketchers toning flip flops upstairs too. Most comfortable shoe I own!

Shannon
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would check this against a valid source, like Reebok.com, could be a scam to get you later to "help pay for the lawsuit" or some other means to get money out of you, in the promise of money in return.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    http://corporate.reebok.com/en/about_reebok/FTC Easytone.asp
    http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1391-reebok-easytone-shoe-a-apparel-class-action-settlement-
    Sounds like there is a consumer refund available. Hope you have your receipt. The fewer people that request one, the more money those that do, will get!
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    mmmm... Toning shoes Advertisements!

yCmsG.jpg
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They don't work... but my FitFlops are the only shoes I can wear to a theme park all day and not get foot fatigue.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well I knew they weren't going to magically make my butt look better but the pair I bought were very comfy so I spent the money on them. I don't really feel like I need reimbursement for false advertising but if they're giving money away I won't say no! I filed my claim. :)
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    I have 2 pairs of the sketcher shape up's . I can't say that they do anything for toning but they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I can be on my feet all day and not have foot or leg fatigue. Glad to see others posts that the FitFlops are comfortable. I will be buying a pair soon.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree Shannon, i love my Skechers flip flops. So comfy. I did buy a pair of shape ups to work in (waitress, 8 hrs a day). I saw a difference in my legs and butt. I like them, comfy, no back pain. I feel like the live up to their claims.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Run tones are the most comfortable sneakers I've ever had. They didn't do any magic, but they are super comfy.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love them, I have sandals and sneakers, my but still looks the same. Oh Well!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I think it's funny that people actually sue for something like this.

I'm sure wearing them and sitting on your bum all day won't do anything.

However, if you work out, doing cardio or weights, I'm sure you'll see a change..... whether you were their shoes or not.

I'm wondering who exactly brought up the lawsuit and how much exercising in them they actually did.

Sorry if this is a pessimisic post, but I think people are funny sometimes!:-)

Shannon
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I might have to look into this. I bought a pair in August since they were on sale ($39 & regular shoes were over $50, I figured maybe they'd have more cushioning & I'd be OK wearing them) and ended up destroying my leg. An old motorcycle injury that hadn't bothered me in years suddenly started up in my leg & I'm still in excrutiating pain most days (you'd think I'd stop working out, but it's my only drug of choice!). I found that where the toning "ball" was near the ball & arch was putting pressure on a nerve which ended up in a chain reaction up my leg into my thigh where the soft tissue damage was. Suddenly I'm back to not feeling my parts of my leg & the parts I do feel hurt like hell. Sad thing is, my Baby Sis Physical Therapist asked why my leg was hurting, I told her what I think happened since it couldn't have just been coincidence that within a week of wearing the new shoes my leg is on fire again & she said she wished she had of known because she would have stopped me from buying them. The one time I don't consult her!

Pray that I find the receipt and didn't just throw it out (which I fear I did!). But I still have the shoes, I wonder if that's proof enough... I'm not going to pay any money out of pocket just on the off chance I may get something, but if what happened to me happened to other people, maybe it'll be enough for companies to stop trying to make shoes to make things "easier" on people & make shoes that actually work the way nature intended!
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    They don't work... but my FitFlops are the only shoes I can wear to a theme park all day and not get foot fatigue.

Me too! I have really bad feet and have never been able to walk for long distances and running was out of the question. My FitFlop sandals changed my life. I was finally able to walk for hours. I now own 3 pairs and can also wear other shoes now and then for longer periods of time. I love being able to walk everyday for lunch.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I might have to look into this. I bought a pair in August since they were on sale ($39 & regular shoes were over $50, I figured maybe they'd have more cushioning & I'd be OK wearing them) and ended up destroying my leg.

Scary! I hope I still have the receipt, too. I'll have to go through my bank statements or e-mail to find it.

Shannon