Feel myself falling off the rails a bit....seasonal thing

Options
I know myself pretty well...I struggle every fall and winter (usually from Oct-Feb), I have lived with depression for many years (which I am not ashamed of) I know that one of my triggers is the cold, dark winter days. As each leaf falls off the tree, I have that feeling of dread coming on. It's ok, I am at peace with it, I have learned from my depression and have turned it into something positive. I went back to university and I now work as a mental health professional and help others with a special focus on peer support. I love what I do. That being said, I care about myself and work on self-care every single day. Exercising and eating right has been so important in my goal to be healthy. I joined MFP in July 2011 not really knowing what to expect and I was so pleasantly surprised. The support is outstanding and I have found myself really looking forward to logging in each day. Because my triggers are kicking in a bit, I find myself not interacting as much and skipping days here and it has taken its toll. I haven't tracked anything lately and have not been getting results. As a result that is not helping my mood. I am use to giving the pep talks in my job every single day and I think that today I am asking my MFP family to perhaps give me a little pep talk. I can do this.....right?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I hate it. Vitamin B complex helps a little. Good Luck.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! We are here for you!
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    I have the same problem as well. Stay strong, beautiful.
    03258 Posts: 60
    Options
    You can totally do this. I suffer from depression as well. And even though I love the fall it signals the "eating time of year" for me. LOL Pumpkin pies, hot apple cider, cinnamon rolls, Christmas cookies....I could go on and on. But..we can do this. I keep reminding myself how much better I feel when I log the food and focus on healthy habits.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

And absolutely - you can do this!!
  • xinahay123
    Options
    You are definately not alone, and most definately can do it! I have found Yoga to be very helpful for me, it helps me to stay centered, and less pulled into the SAD. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I joined in July too! I also have depression & struggle in winter. Friends? I've found exercising helps a lot - also, get out in the sun, even if it's cold as much as you can.
    Make some type of appointment, your vacation plans, anything for next spring or summer - something to look forward to and plan for. Keep busy & winter will pass quickly. Drink plenty of water.
    If all else fails, you've still got us!
  • jmcholden
    jmcholden Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can feel the change of seasons creeeping up on me too. My family is downstairs baking cookie-brownies, and I am on MFP trying to figure out how many I can eat, and only go over a little! Then I happened along your post.

No matter what keep logging.

Allow yourself to be human, and have ups and downs. That is normal, and natural.

Keep logging and keep exercising, even if it isn't at the level you want it to be, or if your eating isn't what you want it to be. That way, when you have a good day, or start feeling more like yourself, it will be easier to build on and get back in your groove.

Hang in here, Adapt, find what works for you now. It may have changed a bit. But that doesn't mean it has to be completely broken.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to block everything out this time of year. When it starts getting cold, I just want to sit under a blanket reading a good book! Now that it's getting dark so early I'm in bed by 9pm everynight. We just have to keep pushing through and trying to stay active. I know I feel better after a good workout and when I eat right. Just have to try to focus on that. Good luck!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of light therapy or seasonal affective disorder?

Many people get depressed this time of year, and some studies show its sunlight related.

You can basically get an artificial 'sun' light for your room , that fills it with daylight.

It boosts mood and apparently has a bunch of benefits.

One of my friends had one.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you have recognised what happens to your resolve and that it is environmental NOT something you have done to sabotoge your success!! I live in Northern BC Canada and the looooooooong nights here can extend from 9:00 am daylight to 4:30 pm sun gone down.......make for long evenings (my snaking hour). There is a Red light therapy that is supposed to dramatically help with SAD (seasonal affective disorder?) I have found in the past too something as simple as a tanning bed for a few min a couple of times a week was enough to help me get 'enough light'. Obviously dont tan till you look like fruit leather but you get the idea =)
    Good on you for asking for a boost!! Most people who take care of others dont ask for help themselves!!
    Remember this is a passing thing, it is not permanant!! =)
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Having grown up in a sunny environment, then later moving to a state where it seems gray 9 months of the year, I can fully appreciate your perspective. My way of looking at the gray weather is that it gives me time to focus on my workout program as I don't really want to be outside in the miserable weather. I have my basement fixed up with the equipment I need to workout. So having the feeling that I'm making progress in terms of my workouts helps to keep me motivated. Also, with all the dreary weather, I like to have a lot of light in the room. I believe some people use some sort of special lighting (Vitamin D) to help address issues like Seasonal Affective Disorder. In any case, I wish you well and hope that you are able to find what helps you to continue focusing on achieving your goals.
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    I am a mental health professional as well and I often find myself falling into a similar pattern with the onset of change in seasons. I am trying to get outside on my lunch hour and feel the sun on my skin. Taking a walk then helps my mood some. Also, I try to socialize more. If you have friends at work make a plan to do something once or twice a week that is not around food. I notice people who like winter sports seem to be happier this time of year. I try and have something to look forward to as well. Some years I break thru it and other years not so much. It has been easier for me with moving back to California where the winters are not so severe. But the lack of light still is hard to deal with