Plateau's and how to get past them?

Options
I seem to be having a bit of a plateau at the moment. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks and have been losing 1-2lbs each week before this.

Last night I decided to change my workout to include more strength training as before all I was doing really was cardio (cross trainer). I did 20 mins on cross trainer, then at least 30 mins of workout/weightlifting, then a final 10 mins on cross trainer.

My question is, will a change in workout routine give me a decent shove out of this plateau?? Also, anyone who has been through a plateau, how long did it last and if you helped yourself out of it, how did you do it?

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Look into a "refeed" or "diet break" or as your are already doing, changing your routine, increasing protein and playing with carbs may also help.
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    bump! i was just about to make a topic about this. i'm curious to know how other people get past their plateaus!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Look into a "refeed" or "diet break" or as your are already doing, changing your routine, increasing protein and playing with carbs may also help.

What's a 'refeed'? Thanks for that! I might lower my carbs!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things:

up my calories
    change up my exercise routine
    try some new foods
    go back to measuring everything single thing that I eat (sometimes I get lazy and just eyeball it)

Once you change your routine or up your calories, stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks :)

Again, I am only an expert on my own body - what works for me may not work for you
  • catrojas
    catrojas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just cheated on my diet for a few days that that helped for a while, but then I just plateaued again =(
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

A refeed is eating at maintenance or just over maintenance for a day or two to raise your leptin hormone levels which can rejuvenate metabolism if leptin is low. A diet break is the same thing but just a bit longer duration, 1 week or 2 if leptin levels are extremely depleted. But in my case, I do a refeed every weekend, everyone is different so try different things till you find what works for you. Carb cycling and refeeds have helped me recently.
  • AH2013
    Options

A refeed is eating at maintenance or just over maintenance for a day or two to raise your leptin hormone levels which can rejuvenate metabolism if leptin is low. A diet break is the same thing but just a bit longer duration, 1 week or 2 if leptin levels are extremely depleted. But in my case, I do a refeed every weekend, everyone is different so try different things till you find what works for you. Carb cycling and refeeds have helped me recently.

I guess eating at maintenance for a day or two wont hurt!!? I've reduced my carb metric to 40%, I think it was at 55% before. Let's see. I'm happy to try anything right now!

Thanks for the advice everyone! :happy:
  • AH2013
    Options
    I do a couple of things:

up my calories
    change up my exercise routine
    try some new foods
    go back to measuring everything single thing that I eat (sometimes I get lazy and just eyeball it)

Once you change your routine or up your calories, stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks :)

Again, I am only an expert on my own body - what works for me may not work for you

Good ideas, I've changed my exercise routine, so I might try some new food too! I heard spicy was particularly good for getting your metabolism working hard, so I might go to the spice souq this weekend and stock up for tasty meals!

Thank you!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292
    Options
    i went low carbs, reduced my running from 3miles per day to 2 and added about 45min of weight training...i destroyed my plateau.
  • AH2013
    Options
    i went low carbs, reduced my running from 3miles per day to 2 and added about 45min of weight training...i destroyed my plateau.

Love it!! I've decided to do the same, was cross-trainering for about 45-50 mins a day and cut that back to 30 and doing weight training for half an hour on top.....so, very glad to hear it worked for you too!! :happy:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau... A plateau is at least 6 weeks. Constantly making changes is actually a good way to stall weight loss, you're so busy changing everything up that your body doesn't know which way is up and just puts on the brakes.

Weight loss isn't linear, you're aren't going to lose constantly every week, that's normal.

Also, a true plateau means you are doing something wrong, usually eating too much or moving too little.