I'm Fairly new...what in the world does "bump" mean?

Options
I have seen "bump" everywhere on these message boards but have NO idea what it means...it is short for "later"....that's my guess anyways. :)

If someone could fill in the poor new girl, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Its just to mark a thread you would like to come back to later. . or it also raises the topic back up in the listings.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    replying something in a topic saves it to your personal 'my topic' section so you can easily go back and read what others wrote. This is for if you don't have a comment or if you are curious the answers but don't know one yourself.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It holds someone place in the thread. So, they can come back later and check out what was said. You can go back to thread you commented on by looking on my topics.
  • minnow54151
    minnow54151 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure what context it was used in but if you "bump" a post it means you reply to it to move it back to the top of the list so other can see & it doesn't get buried by newer posts.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I believe that bump is just a short message that people add to the thread to make it go back to the top of the list. Doesn't really mean much, I think...
  • oopsiedaezie
    Options
    I am glad you asked because I did not know myself :) I thought it was a sort of "high five".
  • Newstart5
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It makes perfect sense now and my theory was way off. :)

Have a great week!
  • Newstart5
    Options
    HAHAHA I could totally see that guess too! :smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Its originally a shortform for "Bring Up My Post" when you post something that you want others to see, or that is used to expose it to others, when tagging a message for future reference I prefer bookmarking it though when I want to go back and see the later answers. As I have comments in way more than 25 posts it would be a nuisance to track them singly!
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    bump means u basicly agree, like, or are impressed by or with whats been said :wink:
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking. I was just looking at some threads and was wondering the same thing as it never really made sense. This may sound ridiculous, but I thought it sounded like the person made some comment that a moderator found offensive and "bumped" off. (Not meaning the person was bumped off..smile..only his or her comments!)