Heart Rate Monitors; necessary?

I notice that a lot of people in the gym, and on here, use heart rate monitors quite often. I was just curious as to how well these worked for those of you who do have and use them and are they more accurate/better to use versus something like a treadmill calculator? I'm sure it would also come in handy for exercises that aren't necessarily on the list... Just curious about everyone's take on it and if it's something worth investing in :-)

Replies

• mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    I can't wait to hear what more knowledgeable people say. I keep wondering if the expense is worth it.
  • Bon226
    Bon226 Posts: 40 Member
    bump
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I love love love mine. It is way more accurate in telling me how many calories I burn. MFP estimates were under, and the machines were way over estimating. Now that I know exactly how many calories I am burning, I know how many to eat, and my weight loss has been more consistent. It was totally worth the money.

The one I bought was only $55 on Amazon, and does all the same things as the more expensive Polar model.
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    So worth it... This way you know your actual calories burned. Mfp always says I burn more than what I actually do and it really helps motivate you to work harder.
  • whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    After much reading, research and hand-wringing - I got them for my wife and I. More than anything, they help you "KNOW" what you are doing when working out. They take the guess work out of how much effort you have put into your work out. They also help you know if you are working too hard.

Like anything else, you will only get so far by working hard. You also need to work smart. HRM (heart rate monitors) help you do that.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    They are great! MFP does not know what your heart rate is when you're working out and not everyone at the same height and weight will burn the same amount. For me, MFP was over-estimating, so now I can feel more confident in eating my exercise calories back because I'm sure I burned them! You can also do some interval training on yourself based on your heart rate because you can know your intensity. You know when you were a kid and you were in swim or running sports and your coach would say, give me 65%, then 80%, then 100%... well, with a HRM you can actually know what percent you are giving! :)

Mine was about $90... great investment I think!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    People have been losing weight and exercising without HRMs forever.

You don't NEED one, just as no one really needs a smart phone. But we WANT them and they are cool and helpful.

I keep going back and forth on getting one and I think I will buy one in the end :wink:
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Still resisting the purchase of an HRM myself. It appears that many really love to be that precise. May get one later, to help with maintenance......interesting question!!!!
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    MFP either over estimate or under estimate, I do not miss a workout without wearing my HRM. Best 50 dollars I spent ( on Amazon). LOVE mines.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Most calorie estimators are 80% accurate. Most HRM's are 80% accurate. I can't see spending money on something that is only designed for steady state cardio, and is only accurate for steady state cardio (very inaccurate for weight training, as anaerobic training really has no bearing on heart rate.) I also don't buy that they are much more accurate than machines. Everytime I've tested one, I never get much of a difference.

I've lost 50 pounds without one, and I see no reason to need one. Most doctors that I've talked to seem to agree that perceived exertion is a better indicator of a workout than a reading on a heart rate monitor.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Not necessary but very helpful. I love mine.
  • WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT! I bought my Polar FT4 a week ago on amazon for $71. BEST money ever spent. The calculators on threadmills CANNOT be trusted. They are a general calculation and way overestimate. MFP overestimates as well. Since using the HRM the past week i can't go a workout without it. Very accurate!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    If you are serious about this, and you eat back your exercise calories, then a HRM is a must imo.

Polar FT4 ftw.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I think they are a lot like food scales... Are they necessary/required to be successful at this fit and healthy thing? No. Are they good tools that can make it easier to get healthy? ABSOLUTELY!
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    I love my HRM. I love having more confidence in my calorie count. MFP and machine calculators can't measure the intensity of your effort; HRMs do. I also appreciate knowing when I can push myself harder during a workout. Mine has definitely been worth the $75.
  • I think they are a lot like food scales... Are they necessary/required to be successful at this fit and healthy thing? No. Are they good tools that can make it easier to get healthy? ABSOLUTELY!

THIS! :)
  • I love my HRM. I love having more confidence in my calorie count. MFP and machine calculators can't measure the intensity of your effort; HRMs do. I also appreciate knowing when I can push myself harder during a workout. Mine has definitely been worth the $75.

And this!!!! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT! I bought my Polar FT4 a week ago on amazon for $71. BEST money ever spent. The calculators on threadmills CANNOT be trusted. They are a general calculation and way overestimate. MFP overestimates as well. Since using the HRM the past week i can't go a workout without it. Very accurate!

Just to play Devil's Advocate, have you been tested by a doctor for your BMR? Otherwise, how do you really know which number is more accurate?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Otherwise, how do you really know which number is more accurate?
    This is actually a good point. I think a lot of people assume HRM to be an exact measurement of calories burned. They are actually an exact measure of instantaneous and average HR, and that's about it. HRMs take that HR and plug it into a formula to calculate calories burned. It's still ultimately an approximation based on certain assumptions.

A HRM will *in most cases* be more accurate because there is an additional known quantity (i.e. HR over time) when compared to estimates that do not use HR as a factor in the equation.

But at the end of the day, calories burned as reported by a HRM is still an estimation.

Much the same way people should use the same scale to weight themselves and watch progress over time, people should use the same calories burned estimator (either personal HRM, HRM on a treadmill, MFP, etc) and watch how HR vs exertion change over time.

• Wow, lots of opinions :-) I really appreciate everyone's responding. I actually found a treadmilll calculator online that I used for my walking and treadmill use (the treadmill I use is based on a 150lb person...I am about 49lbs above that, lol). Other than that, I have pretty much trusted the MFP measurements for things like strength training and what not... I am definitely curious to see how a HRM would help in those areas, such as measuring calories burned during strength training... Still on the fence, but, if I find a decent price, it just might win me over :-)