calorie use and menstruating

Options
Hey Ladies,
Just wondering if our bodies burned more calories during our menstraution periods. I"m always hungier during this time and it would seem like our bodies are actually doing a "bit more work" I just wonder if its significant difference. Any thought? Thanks

Replies

• miasuperstar
    Options
    Hey Ladies,
    Just wondering if our bodies burned more calories during our menstraution periods. I"m always hungier during this time and it would seem like our bodies are actually doing a "bit more work" I just wonder if its significant difference. Any thought? Thanks
  • heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options
    :drinker: Thats a good question....... I have terrible cravings for sugar and retain alot of water- thankfully I pushed right through it in my work out and today I feel 1000 times better! tmi- but whatever!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of it until you asked, so I looked up some articles. Here was an interesting one:

http://www.bodybugg.com/fitness_resources_qa.php?id=173

But I don't know what the scientific information behind all of it is.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that our metabolism accelerates prior to it. I also feel the need to binge sometimes and joining the thread on binging revealed to me that it's those days (the pre-TOM). The article I read said it's OK to eat a bit more, cos it gets burned down, but I did not trust that 100%.

As for watter retention, it goes away when it's all over :drinker: . Try staying hydrated, your body needs it.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I cant stop myself from eating more. I feel like I'm starving to death. This TOM I did eat more than I've been eating, but I certainly didnt go nuts like months before. My TOM was also late and only lasted a couple days. So if you're just starting out, don't freak if this starts happening to you.
    As far as the extra calories burned, I also read that it was true. I don't remember the number but it seemed high to me.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, your metabolism does increase during the TOM. Not enough to warrant the 3 scoops of ice cream or ginormous chunk of cake I ususally want to go for. Trying to get my poor brain to reach back in the dusty corners from college when I learned this, but I want to say its like a less that 4-5% increase or something similar -would look it up if I had any clue where some of the old college books were. So yes it does increase, but not enough to make it worth it!:grumble:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I didn't really binge or anything but it was definitely a bit harder to stay within my calories the past few days and since I'm new to all this I was afraid maybe I was just getting past the honeymoon period and my motivation had dwindled. But I feel much better today, especially knowing there are reason (albiet small maybe) why I was hungrier smile: