WARNING: Fitnes is addictive

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
This time last year if I went to the gym twice a week and did 30min weights and 30min CV I had had a very good week. I weighed 196lb (never broke the 200 to my knowledge) and wore 36inch waist jeans. and they were tight.

Today I weigh 161lb, wear 32inch waist jeans (and they are loose) and generally do one long run (see below), one short run (up to 6 miles) , one training session at the running club and 'an-other' (gym, circuits, cycling... whatever is on offer and suits the weather and my mood).

last week I added 'Fell running' which is basically walking up big hills then flinging yourself down them at break-neck speeds on dirt paths for several hours at a time. This is a substitute for long runs.

My new training program for 'long runs' looks like this:

Oct 22: fell training Sharpenhoe
Oct 29: 15 mile long steady
Nov 5: holiday!
Nov 13: mo-running, Milton Keynes 10k race
Nov 19: fell running peek district
Nov 27: running off a hangover. 6 miles. You are welcome to come to the party on the 26th by the way...
Dec 3: probably 6 miles (tapering)
Dec 18: stanwick santa run (half marathon)
Dec 24: tbc!
Dec 31: 10 miles or fell running, tbc
Jan 7: 12 miles
Jan 14: Fell 2hrs 30
Jan 21: 14 miles
Jan 28: Fell 2hrs 30
Feb 4: 16 miles
Feb 11: Fell 3 hrs
Feb 19: brighton half
Feb 25: Fell 3 hrs
Mar 3: 18 miles
Mar 10: Fell 3hrs 30
Mar 17: 20 miles
Mar 24: Fell 4 hrs
Mar 31: 16 miles
Apr 7: Fell 2 hrs
Apr 15: brighton marathon
Apr 21: 5 miles
Apr 29: mk marathon

Oh, and my group at the running club has a target over the same period of hitting a 40 minute time for 10K.

Current status:
5K best - 22:20 mins
10K best 45:04
Half best: 1:45:30

Oh yeah, and once I've done the two Marathons I might start training for a Triathlon.

...There is a point to all this - basically - food used to be addictive for me. Now the fitness is addictive - food is just fuel and I eat what I need to eat to power the exercise. Its a big change in mindset from eating and exercising to loose weight but I look and feel better for it and I hope some of you will read this and be inspired to do the same.

.. or possibly get me some help for the insanity.

Replies

• mikeyrp
    Options
    *Sigh* I know, I spelt fitness wrong in the title. Too late to fix it now.
  • sclarke76
    Options
    well done on your progress x wish i cld get addicted to exercise x
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I really envy people like you. I would love to be like that. However, I've always hated exercise and I still do. I work out (various activities) 5 times a week. I hate every second. The only thing I like doing is the water aerobics but I'd sooner not do it.
    Everyone told me that one day I would love the exercise. 3 years in and nope still hating it. Oh well. I reckon I get extra halo points for still doing it even though I hate it :smile:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...I LOVE THIS! My friends think I am insane for going to the gym twice in one day or training for my first half marathon. Two years ago, I would have agreed! Eating healthy is also becoming an addiction...and both of these, I'm ok with!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Road to addition rules:
    1) Work out with other people
    2) Enter events
    3) (For me) do stuff that takes you out doors and that you can mix-up a bit: repetition is dull.

(edit)
    4) Socialize with the people you train with
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am retired so I can get my workout in anytime and I am now up to a 3 hour cardio a day. Not all at once but I will take a 2 to 3 mile run to the gym. Get on the elliptical for an hour then maybe join a class for an hour. I NEVER thought I would get to that! I hope it stays.....we will see.
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Very impressed with your progress dude. I hope one day to start running (when I've shifted a fair bit of weight, of course) If you fancy a change of scenery with your fell running I really recommend the Lake District as there are literally hundreds of different routes.

One of my favourite walks is around Ennerdale Water, it's quite flat but you don't feel like you have walked about 5 miles, plus the views are incredible.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the marathons etc.

Craig
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Instead of binging on junk I will go to the gym!
    I'm studying to become a PT next year actually if that proves my point how addictive it can be :P LOL
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Very impressed with your progress dude. I hope one day to start running (when I've shifted a fair bit of weight, of course) If you fancy a change of scenery with your fell running I really recommend the Lake District as there are literally hundreds of different routes.

One of my favourite walks is around Ennerdale Water, it's quite flat but you don't feel like you have walked about 5 miles, plus the views are incredible.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the marathons etc.

Craig

I'm running with a group so its a question of 'go where they go' but we will be in the Peak District on a few occasions :)

If you want to get into running try the Couch25K program - its a great kick off!