less than 1000 calories

Options
just wondering,

will i gain weight if i eat less than 1000 calories a day?

will i lose weight faster?

im trying to lose my last 10 pounds (been trynig for 6 months) but was eating 1200 calories..

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    even 1200 cals is low, change your settings to 0.5 lb a week to jumpstart it again, eat all your calories and change up your workout routine a bit.
  • fawnpowell
    fawnpowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may actually need to eat more calories than 1200 depending on what else you are doing....you really need to watch what those 1200 calories consist of-that is key, especially for those last 10 lbs!! If you are working out with high intensity and burning many calories, your body may actually be storing fat, because it thinks that you are starving it....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just wondering,

im trying to lose my last 10 pounds (been trynig for 6 months) but was eating 1200 calories..

you will lose weight, but in a very unhealthy manner - losing muscle as well as fat. if you arent losing weight on 1200 cals you probably need to eat MORE so yuor body isnt clinging to the small amount of nutrition its currently recieving.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    From experience, you will lose weight at first. But then, you will pack on weight.

I lost a good 20lbs from only eating twice a day. For breakfast at work I would have a blueberry muffin and for lunch I would have a lunchable and a thing of vienna's. (every single day because I wanted to lose weight because I thought I was 'fat'.) I was 174lbs when I started my job (which is also when I started what I believed was "dieting") and by the time I lost my jobI had gotten up to 210lbs. I really do believe that after a while your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything.

Since I joined MFP I alawys try to come within 10pts of 1200 calories and im not excercising like most people (I walk maybe twice a week at my own pace) and i've lost 11lbs, so clearly im doing something right? I walked more when I worked and gained weight. It's all about what you eat and giving your body what it needs.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    just wondering,

Can I ask what all you have tried in the last six months?

When I first started losing weight, several years ago, I got frustrated when I was within 10 lbs of my goal weight. I tried being really strict with the calories but that didn't help.

I ended up changing things up. I started doing new workouts (we had cable then, so I used Fit TV for yoga and even tried a belly dancing one! :smile: ) I also started eating a little more (eating in a range of 1200-1500 most days) and eating different foods. I tried new recipes and added some different fruits, vegetables, and protein sources in.

That worked MUCH better for me than being over-zealous with calorie counting. Good luck with your last 10 lbs!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The more weight you need to lose you can afford to eat lower calorie since the body will behave different depend on how much body fat.
    Since you only have 10 lbs to lose, if you eat too low you will lose muscle mass. BTW the heart is also muscle.

Actually I think you should eat at your maintenant level for a few weeks then start to concentrate on do interval, crossfit work out.
    Use tape meassurement or fat caliper to check your progress.