Ground Turkey -How do you eat it?

Options
shellrae1973
shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
In my effort to eat more healthy and experiment with different foods I thought I would try ground turkey. The only place I could find it was at costco so of course I had to buy a huge amount. I made spagetti sauce with it last night and I really didn't like the taste of the ground turkey. Now I have all of this ground turkey and I am not sure what to do with it. If I mix some of the ground turkey with ground beef will the beef flavour overpower the ground turkey flavour? Does anyone have any good recipes with ground turkey that doesn't take so "turkeyish"?

GRRR I really hate wasting food!!!!!

Replies

• cdemoura14
    Options
    turkey meatballs, turkeyloaf, turkey tacos, ground turkey lasagna! since i discovered ground turkey I rarely use ground beef!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers mate. They're responsible for a whole lot of my weight loss. Just use it like you would ground beef. Add some seasoning and cook up some patties.. voila!
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    I use groung turkey all the time. I make turkey meatballs with some tandoori spice in it. I stuff peppers with it and bake it in the oven. Pretty much anything you can do with ground meat, you can do with ground turkey. Good luck.
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anything you can do with ground beef you can to with ground turkey. Adding spices helps the blandness.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Anything you use ground beef for you can use ground turkey for. It's great!
  • Rviernow
    Options
    Try tacos or chili with it. My family doesn't notice much difference when I cook it that way.
  • louisyanna
    louisyanna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    maybe a chilli that should help overpower the turkey taste, and try adding a beef stock cube whne you fry off the meat.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use it to make chili and have also used it in taco's.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    chili :)
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    Anywhere I would have used ground beef. I have never noticed a difference in taste. I love turkey burgers myself. If you don't like the taste, add in some spices to liven them up. Most of the things I use ground turkey in are already flavored well. Like in casseroles, soups, stews, tacos, sloppy joes, chili, ect.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey sausage has much more flavor than plain ground turkey, so maybe next time you shop get that instead until you are more used to the flavor. Ground turkey can be a lot like tofu... not much flavor until you learn how to spice it up, but that's a good thing too b/c it opens up tons of options. :) Enjoy your discoveries!

p.s. Garlic powder or onion powder can be a great way to get the flavors started in the right direction!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    check out this recipe I posted on my blog..... It's delish!
    http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2011/08/three-bean-turkey-chili.html

I also use ground turkey to make taco salads. put low sodium taco seasoning on it - you'd never know it was turkey! :)
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    I use ground turkey in anything!! Once u used to it, u will love ground turkey. Ground Beef is history! it make me sick when Ground Turkey doesnt... so try www.skinnytaste.com...
    good luck!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm making turkey chili today: Ground turkey, red and green peppers, onion, diced tomatoes, plain tomato sauce, a little garlic and spices. I've made it before and it was good! Turkey meatballs, turkey burgers--both with lots of herbs and spices.
  • catundra75
    Options
    I make a turkey meatloaf that tastes really good. The trick to using turkey is to SPICE the heck out of it. I also add some tabasco sauce (not a lot) to the meatloaf and it helps.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I make sloppy joes or Manwich's with ground turkey. I find my daycare kdis eat more when I make it this way than with beef! I lvoe the flavor and prefer ground turkey over beef. Have used it with tacos, meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, fajitas,..... anyway you use beef!!
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    YUM!! Minced turkey is delicious... I use it to make burgers! Mix up the mince with some grated onion, garlic and then add some thai green curry paste! Serve it wrapped in a lettuce leaf with some roast sweet potatoes and you've got my favourite meal!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey BREAST is so much better than plain ground turkey in flavor and texture.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In my effort to eat more healthy and experiment with different foods I thought I would try ground turkey. The only place I could find it was at costco so of course I had to buy a huge amount. I made spagetti sauce with it last night and I really didn't like the taste of the ground turkey. Now I have all of this ground turkey and I am not sure what to do with it. If I mix some of the ground turkey with ground beef will the beef flavour overpower the ground turkey flavour? Does anyone have any good recipes with ground turkey that doesn't take so "turkeyish"?

GRRR I really hate wasting food!!!!!

Yes i see what you mean with the spagetthi sauce... You can't really just replacing beef with turkey hoping it'll be the same, the taste is really different... Wait a day or2 and taste your spaghetti sauce again without expecting your sauce to taste as usual and you might find it just different and actually like it .. that's how it happened for me ...

Now i love ground turkey and its a very good option for burgers, tacos, rice, macaroni, meat balls and what not... It's a very good and healthy lean meat...