Bodypump and Boxercise!!

Options
Hello

I go to bodypump at least once a week and as i dont have an HRM I googled how many calories I could expect to burn roughly and logged that (which was 250 per hour). I have just looked on the Fitness First website and seen that they claim on average bodypump burns 600 calries per class!!!

I mean I am happy to under estimate to stay on the safe side but these are 2 completely different figures. Can anyone shed some light please??

Also I log boxercise as Aerobics, would people agree (comes out at about 500 cals per hour). The class I attend uses a mixture of rounds of sparring with exercises (push ups, lunges, jumping over benches etc)

Thanks xxx

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    for bodypump, my HRM gave me 350 for the hour. Seems like a good deal.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I thought bodypump was a lot higher when I didn't have an HRM- but now I do.

You will burn anywhere from 280-350 - depends on how hard you push during the cardio peaks. I also find that if I do 10-15 minutes of cardio warm up on a machine first I burn more as my body is warmed up and my heart rate is already a bit higher!

I would not go higher then 350 for tracking!
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I get about 450/hr. It also depends on your weight and how hard u work
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and it comes in anywhere from 250-300. Very rarely is it over that, unless I do a short burst of cardio before (10 mins on the tread, for example), than the combined burn is around 450.
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    I've also tried to find how many calories I'd burn at pump and I, too, found that the amt seems to vary quite a bit from source to source.

I think the important thing to remember with body pump is that the true benefit is the muscle mass gained. More muscle mass = more calories burnt at rest (higher metabolism!! =) )

I would say go with an underestimate from that class and just remember that you'll get the real rewards in time. =)