Calories burned when exercising

Options
Hi
I need some advice :)
I go to the gym about 6 times a week for about 45 mins, the problem I have is that for some reason the equipment in my gym cannot be used to put in any programmes :huh:
So I have to just use the levels to increase intensity, speed etc, but when I come to log my exercise calories if I put in that I've been on the bike for 30 mins (which I ususally have) it says I've burned 352 calories but the machine at the gym says I've burned only 100 calories!

Which do you think I should go with, MFP or the gym equipment?
I have been logging the cals burned according to the gym equipment so far but I'd like some help if anyone out there can!

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Does the gym equipment have heart rate monitors on them?
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If the gym equipment monitors your heart rate it will be more accurate than the MFP calculators.
    I am told the only sure way to know is to get a Heart Rate Monitor that you wear to know for sure.
    MFP is a little high on their calories burned compared to the equipment at my gym.
    Hope this helps!
    Keep up the good work!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes they do have heart rate monitors on them.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Even that isn't always accurate. I have an HRM, with chest strap and the gym equipment pick up the signal from the strap. The gym equipment will still give me a different "calorie burn" than my watch monitor. I always go by it, as they are much more accurate.
  • curvy_ca_mama
    curvy_ca_mama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with the equipment. Right or wrong. If you're doing a type of circuit training then it's in there, but otherwise it's very difficult to find weight training in cardio. You are looking in cardio right?? WTG!
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    I always go by what the machines say, especially if they have the ability to monitor your heart rate, b/c I'd rather think I burned less calories that what I may have actually burned. This way, it helps me stay on track with what I eat.

9334018.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The MFP calories take into account your body weight; (fat people burn more calories per minute); generally the gym equipment assumes you're already a skinny-minnie. I think the MFP calories are closer to being correct.
  • kdavc
    kdavc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would go for somewhere in the middle...I don't think anything is extremely accurate unless it tracks your heart-rate for the entire time you are working out. Even the heart rate monitors on the equipment at the gym don't seem right to me. Best best would be a personal fitness monitor...but they can be pricey. Good luck and keep it up...6 days at the gym per week is so amazing!!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is really helpful.
    I think I'll get myself a decent heart monitor and then see how it goes :bigsmile:
  • jljc_2010
    Options

Even that isn't always accurate. I have an HRM, with chest strap and the gym equipment pick up the signal from the strap. The gym equipment will still give me a different "calorie burn" than my watch monitor. I always go by it, as they are much more accurate.

Sorry, but you go by which count the watch or the machines?
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    The MFP calories take into account your body weight; (fat people burn more calories per minute); generally the gym equipment assumes you're already a skinny-minnie. I think the MFP calories are closer to being correct.

when I use my gym equipment it asks for my weight and my age.