Lunch ideas for work?

Options
Hey guys, I've been trying to eat healthier for lunch on the full days I work but having some difficulty deciding what to bring. I'm trying to cut out the processed foods that I can just heat in the microwave and substitute it with something more fresh and healthier. Any suggestions?

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I cook most of the food I eat for lunch and dinner. I usually cook enough for 2-3 days at a time. Examples of things I cook are: (a) tilapia and asparagus; (b) salmon and asparagus; (c) ground chicken/turkey mixed with lettuce/tomato/2% cheese and then add fat free catalina dressing; (d) chicken breasts and some veggie; (e) grilled chicken with sauteed onions/green peppers/mushrooms and topped with tomato sauce...add in some whole grain pasta if you want.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    a banana & you can make egg whites in a mug in the microwave lol
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like making salads. Just put all the veggies, lettuce, protein( I use tuna or chicken) in seperate tupperware's and assemble at work. I prep all of it the night before so I dont have to worry about it in the morning. I also bring fuit and greek yogurt for snacks. You can also make little veggie sanwiches- arnold wheat thin bread, laughing cow cheese sprea, and veggies is a delicious low calorie sandwich. I also make extra at dinner time and take leftovers..like chicken and broccoli.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am having a cannelini bean salad today. I made it up earlier this week and it was enough for 4 days. I got the recipe off a post here on MFP. You can search for it if it sounds good to you! I'm having it with pita chips and a plum.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I have also cooked bison burgers and brought them to work (with some veggie). bison is a tasty lean protein.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with making yourself a whole grain wrap with some kind of natural lunch meat and some cheese. Those kind of wraps are my staple for nightshifts. :)
    223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    Cooking and putting the meals away for the week is a good approach. That way it's already pre-packed and ready to go. I have a cafeteria at work; I usually choice grilled chicken breast and vegetables (I am not big on salads). Bake a few chicken breasts on Sunday and pop each one in a Gladware bowl, then pick something you would like to put with it, like green beans, broccoli and cheese (light on the cheese sauce!), roasted veggies, what not. I usually have a small scoop of mashed potatoes too, because I don't want to deny myself to the point where I flip out and go food crazy. Lean protein and vegetables has become my usual for lunch. I have a fruit for snack..today I am seeing how adding a little peanut butter with the fruit works out for me to curb my afterwork "I'm Starving" moment.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I make pots of soup and portion out in containers to freeze. Lentil soup is a good start because it's so easy. And about 50 cents per portion. I used to keep a blog on this topic:

icemancooketh.blogspot.com
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch is hamburger patties and baked sweet potatoes, perfect combination ever! I eat enough to keep me full all work day. (usually 2 patties and 1 sweet potato)
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    soup w/ a small roll
    salad w/ chicken veg light dressing
    healthy sandwich
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I like making salads. Just put all the veggies, lettuce, protein( I use tuna or chicken) in seperate tupperware's and assemble at work. I prep all of it the night before so I dont have to worry about it in the morning. I also bring fuit and greek yogurt for snacks. You can also make little veggie sanwiches- arnold wheat thin bread, laughing cow cheese sprea, and veggies is a delicious low calorie sandwich. I also make extra at dinner time and take leftovers..like chicken and broccoli.

This is generally what I do...pack a salad, with the protein, cheese, dressing, etc separate the night before. I've even just packed 2 at once, then I have 2 lunches ready and did all the prep work once. Or, after dinner, pack leftovers for lunch the next day. Now that it is getting colder, I might cook up some soup to bring.