Losing it too fast?

Options
Hi everyone! I started on MFP last Tuesday and I have lost 6 lbs total (yay). My concern is that maybe it's coming off too fast. I'm making a lifestyle change, so I'm looking for long term results.

Here's what I have been doing:

Cadio/Weights: 30-90 mins a day
1200 cals plus eating back 75% of my exercise cals burned.
I'm a SAHM so I have it set to sedentary.

I was thinking most of the loss is due to water weight but I drink a ton of water throughout the day (at least 4 bottles) and I've also lost 3" off my waist.

Maybe my body is going into shock lol idk. Should I up my cals or leave it as is? Is it dangerous to lose this much this quickly?

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    the first couple of weeks it will come off quicker. if it keeps up like that after the first month you might want to relook what your doing.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Make sure your NET calories (they are listed on your home page) are at least 1200. That being said, you have to remember that the first week you are losing a lot of water weight, shocking your body, etc. It will very likely slow way down after the first week or two. Don't let that frustrate you; that's the best way to lose it. I lost about 6 pounds the first week, then it slowed down to about a pound a week. It's not unusual to lose more the first week. It's only an issue if you keep losing that much every week.

As a SAHM, you may want to set your activity level to light or moderate. I don't know too many SAHMs who are sedentary, especially if your kids are young! It will probably allow you a few more calories for the day and you'll still see weight loss.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Everybody loses 5 lbs of water weight the first week. Don't worry, you will be compaining about being unable to lose a single pound soon enough.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    In your first few weeks there is a dramatically awesome weight loss, then it tapers off. Enjoy every ounce you lose this month because its gonna slow a lot next!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    the first couple of weeks it will come off quicker. if it keeps up like that after the first month you might want to relook what your doing.

Yep you will be incredibly lucky if it continues for much longer, stick with what you are doing and dont worry too much.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this question because I was thinking the same thing too! I have 1200 calories a day, i get as close to that as possible...but I lost 5 pounds in 4 days! That cant be normal. I'm thinking it has to be water weight because I read the more water you drink, the more water comes out of your body! I'm sure it is going to slow down soon... Anyway - Good luck! Friend me if you want... im new to MFP.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Mostly water weight. Also, are you weighing yourself at the same time every day? I gain 4lbs by the end of the night, so if I were to judge my morning weight and my evening weight it wouldn't be accurate.

Although I will say, 1200 sounds a little extreme (and impossible haha, I don't think I could eat that little). I am no professional on this subject but I hear you should never go under 1300 a day because your body will try and store more fat?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So if you're eating 1,200 plus 75% of your exercise cals you are NET under 1,200. Is that correct?

Experts suggest 1lb/week weight loss to make sure it stays off for good and that you don't harm your body. If you have more to lose, the 2lbs is suggested.

If you're Netting under 1,200 you're going to lose fast and the minute you stop it will all come back on (that's what I heard can happen if you're not giving your body the fuel it needs).

Controversial topic on here, but I've had success and met my goals by meeting my calorie goals not falling below them.
  • asanchez0814
    asanchez0814 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's great that you're seeing results like that. For right now just be excited! :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Mostly water weight. Also, are you weighing yourself at the same time every day? I gain 4lbs by the end of the night, so if I were to judge my morning weight and my evening weight it wouldn't be accurate.

Although I will say, 1200 sounds a little extreme (and impossible haha, I don't think I could eat that little). I am no professional on this subject but I hear you should never go under 1300 a day because your body will try and store more fat?

The experts suggest weighing in the same day each week (not daily). I do Wednesdays because it's easy to remember and weigh myself before work. Weighing in daily is going to just be nutty since your weight changes several times/day and from one day to the next.
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Options
    I was on the 1200 2lb a week and lost of 5lbs but after that it's been hell to loose the weight. So I change to 1lb a day and hopefully I'll be shredded by summer :)
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been off for a mth and got back and now have lost 9 pounds in 5 days. I'm sure it's water weight and all that crap oozing out. Good luck. I remember the scale slowing down after awhile but don't get disappointed.