Sad Story

Options
Hey Everyone:

I just wanted to share this.

A friend of mine, has a boyfriend that hadn't been taking very good care of himself. He didn't have any health insurance and hadn't been to the doctor in years. He had a stroke last week. When he was admitted to the hospital, he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat, diabetes, hypertension, and pneumonia. The brain scan indicated that he had had a minor stroke before. He had been complaining about not feeling right and was thinking about taking better care of his heath and weight, but really hadn't acted on it. The stroke unfortunately caused major damage. He has been in the ICU since Tuesday. They have decided to remove the ventilator and hope for the best, but are anticipating the worst. His prognosis is not good.

I guess I just wanted to share the story to remind everyone here who might be struggling with their weight and health issues that the stakes are high - well beyond vanity, and not to give up. Please take care of yourself for those around you and tell them that you love them, because while life can be cruel and unpredictable - somethings are preventable. Please make it a priority, don't procrastinate.

Replies

• Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hope it all works out for the good! God performs miracles everyday !!!
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So true. Makes one think. Only hope they think about things in the right way. Thanks for sharing. That was one reason I looked at myself and said it was time.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Prayers going out to this gentleman... you are so right. Even taking care of yourself, life throws curve balls but it is still worth it to keep on track to take care of oneself.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Really well written snarky. Thanks for the post, and all the best for your friend and her boyfriend. Sending positive vibes that this is a wakeup call, instead of a tragedy.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    oh my god thats soo sad really makes ya think dont it. in life one minute we are here and in the blink of an eye we are gone prayers to your friend and his family
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your girlfriends partner......hope he does well when they remove the respirator

trust me, reading this story is a wake up call..........I was getting kind of like him too, until I took matters in my own hands

stories like this re inforce me to stay focused, esp when I go out to eat or am in the grocery store...........I thank you for sharing this, it helps Lloyd
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this story. What a tragic thing for your friend and boyfriend. I can relate to the story as my husband was a diabetic who also did not take care of himself; wouldn't listen to the docs. In October of 2008 he had a massive heart attack, which he did not survive. It's an awful wake up call. I wish the best for your friend and her boyfriend and will say a prayer.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    That's so sad. How old is this guy?

I always find it interesting on the Biggest Loser when Dr. H sits down with the contestants and shows them their "real age". It's always such a shock to them. We sometimes have no idea how sick we really are, I guess.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. What a tragedy, and what a lesson for the rest of us.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! Beyond the reminder to take care of oneself, I have been reminded OFTEN this week that life is short and we are never guaranteed anything so we got to live it to the fullest!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Wishing him a safe recovery and a full, happy and healthy future
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

So far his airway is holding, but it is still too early to be considered out of the woods.

EmilyRanae: So TRUE

CJK: I am so sorry for your loss.

Kmbrooks: He is only 47

Time to get away from this computer. Hope everyone has a wonderful day and makes the best of it!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hope it all works out for the good! God performs miracles everyday !!!
    Prayers going up. Healing rain falling down. Let it fall. (me: male, 47, miracle)
  • AleenaZ
    AleenaZ Posts: 117
    Options
    My prayers for safe recovery and healthy long life. Thank you for this reminder :)
  • taritchie
    taritchie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this story. It is always good to gain perspective like this, and remember how important it is to do our best to care of ourselves.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Wow...47. Very sobering. I am 41, so only a little younger than him.

I pray he can pull out of this, and that if he does, he can find the strength to make serious changes.