Eating because you have to or just bored?

When you start working out cardio+strength, how do you know when you're eating because your body needs more to sustain you vs. just wanting to eat for no reason?

Replies

• amandae79
    amandae79 Posts: 169 Member
    I have that same problem. I posted a similar topic awhile back and the replies I got was to make sure I was eating enough protein. My hunger was always in the a.m. afterworking out and eating my normal string cheese and yogurt breakfast. I started eating whole wheat bread with pb and a banana and a glass of milk in the a.m., I dont get hunger 10 minutes after eating like I was.

I am going to keep an eye on this post to see what others say! :)
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    it's always a good idea to have a little bit of a protein snack after working out. Other than that, your tummy will tell you when you're hungry.
  • If you start to become too tired out and weak while in the middle of your workout (otherwise known as "bonking"), you probably haven't had enough to eat to keep your energy up, or you've eaten something too heavy and unhealthy that you've exhausted the energy readily available from what you've eaten.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    you'll definitely know! I feel like a crazy starved maniac the day after a good workout if I don't fuel myself properly the day of the workout!
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    You will feel week or nauseous after a work out if you haven't eaten enough. I've even physically gotten sick because i didn't feed my body after working out and didn't eat enough before either. It's kind of a balance of knowing how much to eat and when you should before and after. I usually eat an hour before and then they recommend within the hour after. You need lots of water and a good protein fix to fuel and repair your muscles after a workout.

Wishing you success
  • So what about if you workout in the afternoons/late evening, and you have all day? how can you tell when youre eating out of Necessity vs out of boredom?... keep in mind your tummy isnt rumbling at all during the day...???
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    http://pinterest.com/pin/309145205/ <that is a good rule of thumb.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    I'm interested in this too.

I have recently started strength training and still do my cardio and I've noticed that i'm hungrier. I'm trying to add more protein to my diet to see if that helps.

I've also been looking into protein drinks, if anyone has any good advice on that I would appreciate it.

I mainly work out in the evenings before I have my dinner, I do now know if that matters.
  • speedyme
    Try "Eating Clean" the combination of foods should keep you feeling satisfied longer. If your tummy isn't rumbling, then your not hungry just bored (emotional eating) or eating out of habit. You can also try eating by the clock: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack at at the same time everyday. Your body may take some time to adjust but will eventually become hungry at the same time everyday. You will also learn when it's true hunger and just emotional eating.

hope this helps
  • speedyme
    One more thing! Make sure you eat foods that will keep the energy going during workouts. "Tosca Reno-Eating Clean" speaks alot about this and also the P90X Menue plans follows a similar principle of "Eating Clean" (no processed foods). They also speak to the importance of protein and protein shakes.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Try "Eating Clean" the combination of foods should keep you feeling satisfied longer. If your tummy isn't rumbling, then your not hungry just bored (emotional eating) or eating out of habit. You can also try eating by the clock: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack at at the same time everyday. Your body may take some time to adjust but will eventually become hungry at the same time everyday. You will also learn when it's true hunger and just emotional eating.

hope this helps

I have started reading on "eating clean" but I have to take it slow or I will get discouraged and go back to my old ways.

I usually only eat at certain times of the day so I'm doing pretty well with that, just seems like I get more hungry since I have started strenght training.

Not sure if i'm actually hungry from the training or if bored.
  • speedyme
    Your appetite will increase with strength training, expecially in the beginning, Make sure you eat back the calories you burn and include more protein, that should ease the hunger. If you still find you're hungry, then i would think it is emotional eating. If your already tracking your foods and excersize, track your hunger and emotions as well. You may be able to link it to something.

Good luck!