Harder Video or Take it Slow?

Options
Is it better to try a difficult video and just do what you can and build up to following along perfectly, or start out nice 'n slow? Even Zumba kicks my butt right now...which is embarrassing-when I was younger Tae Bo was a piece of cake for me! I really enjoy that one but am also interested in Insanity with Shaun T, specifically because it doesn't require equipment...my favorite kind of exercise...any suggestions?

I also tried Cha Lean, wasn't into it.

Replies

• SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would say it really depends on your personality. Be sure to do something you can stick with. Will you get too discouraged with a harder video? Will you injure yourself trying too hard? Will you let yourself slide too much with an easier video?

I do think it's good to change your exercise routine every few months (I've heard 'change every 3 months') but if you're doing a harder video and making improvements that might 'count' as change.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    While it IS a good idea to push yourself, be careful of trying to do something too advanced! It can be discouraging, and it could potentially lead to injury. I have been demotivated by trying to do things out of my ability level, but I do also know that it's important to get to that point where your reeeally feeling it and almost want to give up, those last few seconds of that exercise are the most important! Try to do something that breaks you into a nice sweat, but try to be able to do the whole exercise without having to stop. And make sure you enjoy it and it's something fun!! Good luck finding something!
  • Cenobite
    Options
    I find it better to take it slow up to a certain point. I'm also a fan of exercise without equipment, gyms are repellent to me.

My first video was "Fit to strip" by Carmen Electra. Did it for a couple of weeks, until it tired me but didn't really kicked my *kitten*, so I moved on. Now I'm doing Jillian Michaels fat and metabolism jump start video. There are some portions of it that I have to switch to another move because I just can't do it. When I'm able to keep up with it, I'll switch again.

The idea, IMHO, is not to stay too long with one routine or to get by the end of it and have the feeling you could do it all over again.

Anyway, I'm always looking for new stuff to try out, so let me know how your search goes.

Best of luck!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I tried a few videos then I bought The Biggest Loser Cardio Max video & I looove it. Probably partially because i love love love the biggest loser, but yea. I'd find one that really motivates you.