Runners....Breathing suggestions?

Options
For all you runners out there...I am doing the C25K program and I am in week 4. I use to run long time ago (back in high school...even got the MVP which tells ya how bad we were as a team). I could not then, and still can not now....ever get the breathing thing down on mile runs...

I have been trying to breath in through the nose....every three steps......breath out the mouth next 3 steps...and it's not working. I still want to breath in and out through the mouth! Then I get cotton mouthed...and UGH....

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Okay...I realize how stupid that must have sounded. Asking on advice how to breath...it's like putting one foot in front of another. But come on...you know what I talking about.
    I had always heard it's better to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth when you run. IS that just plain BS?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yes--stop trying to follow some "breathing pattern".

Our bodies are very good at breathing--they do it continuously from the moment of birth until we die. It's a great system--you don't even have to give it a thought.

In the absence of a medical condition such as asthma or pulmonary disease, "breathing problems" during running are often due to the simple fact that one does not have the minimal level of conditioning to run. In other words, the person is "gasping for breath" because the activity is too hard for them at their current level.

Another common reason is that many people tend to hold their upper bodies too rigidly when they run. This can affect breathing just because the chest cannot expand naturally.

There have always been a gazillion "breathing guidelines" for runners out there--believe me, I've heard them all over the past 35 years. Most have no benefit or physiologic basis. It is extremely difficult once you increase intensity to achieve sufficient ventilation by breathing through you nose. And there is absolutely no benefit to doing so.

So try slowing your pace until you feel more comfortable and try to consciously relax your shoulders and arms. Breathing should be relaxed, rhythmic and controlled, but it needn't follow any prescribed "pattern".
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    No no, it was a good question. Tagging to see what people have to say!
  • Fitwam
    Options
    Thanks Azdak! I do find myself being to rigid in the upper body. I have to keep reminding myself to relax the shoulders. I am going at a snails pace.... Week 4 D1 of C25k results were average 14 min mile (yikes) and max around 9 min mile pace. I am getting there.

And I appreciate the comment JStarnes too. After I looked over my post....I thought it sounded silly and knew I was setting myself up for some "funnies" in replies. Justified! :-)...

thanks again.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've always found I get farther on my runs when I breathe.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    haha yea, happens to me too! ;)

The best thing I can tell you (from my experience) is to just relax. I find that the less I think about my breathing when I run the better I breathe and run. I struggle with my breathing when I try to focus on how I am doing it.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Its also easier if you wear a nasal strip. like those used for snoring, too keep the nasal airways open more. I wear one when working out, helps cool me down fasting and inhale through the nose is shortened considerably.. just a suggestion.:)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I found that yoga classes vastly improved my running (and swimming) because you practice deep breathing and it just becomes second nature after a while.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If I think about my breathing, it gets messed up. I do best when I'm mouthing the words to whatever song I'm listening to.

Also, for long distances, I like to carry grapes with me. Pop one in your mouth every few minutes, and no more cotton mouth. :smile:

You might want to try going slower at first, too. Work on speed after you have the endurance. Maybe you're running too fast to catch your breath.
  • Fitwam
    Options

Yea....I saw this one coming! :laugh:

But thanks everyone! Appreciate the tips...saw someone else mentioned about grapes too on another post. I may try that ...

As crazy as this may sound...I think when my music messes up (which has done so that last two funs), and turns off...then I hear myself breathing. I just need to make sure the music stays cranked up! LOL
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    The only time I really focus on my breathing is if I get a side stitch - then I "huff" out very sharply from the diaphragm and gasp back in with a pause in the middle - this seems to help after a few rounds. My sister told me about it and it's worked...
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with my breathing too. If I notice...that its out of whack..Ill walk for 30 sec..and start off again on my left foot. Always breathe in and out on the left foot. Keeps stitches from happening!