Winter exercise

Options
would I be right in saying that if you exercise in the cold you burn less than in doors in the warm as your body needs to be able to warm up to burn calories or does it not matter

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would say the other way around, as your body will be colder it will have to burn more calories to maintain body temperature.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    You actually burn calories to stay warm. Take a look at the calories burned for cross-country skiing.
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    that's my understanding as well, anytime you challenge your body to have to regulate it's temperature - you are burning more calories.
  • windyweather88
    Options
    rich is right. Definitely burn more calories in the cold.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It makes almost no difference, but cold will burn slightly more. Energy is energy - your car burns energy moving forward in the cold and so do you.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I've heard it as you burn more calories in the cold because it takes more energy for your body to stay warm. (Then again, I think people who live in cooler weather are a little thicker than those in warmer weather so....I'm no expert on this one!)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think it would be the other way around.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It makes almost no difference, but cold will burn slightly more. Energy is energy - your car burns energy moving forward in the cold and so do you.

This^
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    well not conclusive but worth a read

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/cold.htm