How many times a week.......

Options
do you guys exercise? I've pretty much been doing nothing at all as far as exercise goes up to this point and was wondering if three days a week would be enough to start and then bump up later or should I now be doing 5 or 7 days for maximum results......? Just wondering what routines you guys follow during the week!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days per week with combination of cardio and weight lifting.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    3 is 3times better than none! Do what works for you and then keep adding as your fitness level improves. Be sure to include some muscle building in there!
  • CrystalCrossan
    CrystalCrossan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When it comes to exercising, 5-6 days a week is probably best, but if you aim for 3 times per week to start, you may be more likely to keep with your program. (and be less susceptible to injury since you're not used to exercising yet). I've been off on injury and just got cleared to start exercising again. Starting with walking using ankle and hand weights and some light resistance training with resitance tubes/bands at home. I'm starting with 3x per week myself and plan on stepping it up after the Christmas frenzy is over.
    All the best!
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think the right answer is whatever you can do right now. If 3 days of cardio is what you can do then start with that. As you get stronger you will start wanting to work out more and being physically able to keep up with a more intense schedule. You will also want to start adding in resistance training, but if you don't start with that you can work into it. The key is to get moving.

I started with 2 days a week and now I try to get to the gym 6 days a week.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I generally do something everyday. Gym 3/4 times a week and walk for an hour the other days. But I worked up to this over time. The great thing about MFP is you get rewarded for your efforts with extra food. Yum.

Phil
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Start out with a few days per week and see how you feel.

I do weight lifting 3-4 times a week, cardio 5-6 times per week and hot yoga 1-2 times per week, but I do it because I love it. Exercise is my catharsis.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Six days a week rest on Sunday.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I work out every day..I would consider Sunday to be a sorta rest day b/c I usually just walk. I get bored/antsy/anxious if I don't get to the gym.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I do some kind of exercise 5-6 times a week. That being said, I went from being pretty much sedentary, then started walking short distances and have built up to being able to walk 10+ miles. I started off shooting for 3 times a week and soon found that the more I exercised, the better I felt and the more I wanted to exercise, so it was easy to build up to the 5-6 days. My problem now is remembering to give my body a rest (which it needs) and making sure that I take at least 1 day off.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days per week with combination of cardio and weight lifting.

Me too. I am doing the P90X program for the 2nd time, and I also do Zumba couple nights a week just because I love it.

But I agree with everydaypam, do what you can for now and build on that.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Does between-the-sheets Cardio count? :blushing:
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    All depends on, how hard and long you workout, what your goals are, how fit you are at the start and how old you are. The less fit or older you are the harder it is to work through a crazy intense workout schedule as your recovery time will be greater everything else being equal.

I really recommend working out most days as you get a high from the exercise that lasts about 24 hours. As long as you exercise every 24 hours (even at a low intensity such as a stretch workout) you shouldn't have that mental block about working out. Leaving it longer and you get that "I don't feel like working out" feeling.

I workout twice a day, six days a week with an hours stretching on the seventh day. I do about 18 hours of exercise per week, about 4 of that is weights, an hours stretching, an hour and half of Yoga and the rest is cardio. I'd put myself down as a hard worker, there are younger, fitter guys at my gym who do well over 24 hours of exercising per week.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Between 3-6 times a week but I try to count minutes instead of no of workouts. I try to see it in a longer perspective then a week, say ten days and instead avoid training more then four or five days in a row, if Ive trained for an hour or more. Right now im combining Killer buns with 6 w 6 p, earlier I did Ripped.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am not a very fit person, so I knew I had to start small if it was going to stick. I started off just trying to walk for 20 minutes 3 x a week. Once that felt too easy, I progressed to every day...Now I am doing the 30DS video, and it is going well! Too often in the past, I have gone too aggressive with the exercise to start, and I always give it up. So far, I've been at this for a month and a half straight (logging in every day) and I"m seeing the results.

Hope my experience helps you decide!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    5-6 depending on my "life" schedule and whether or not I am in training for a race.
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    It's all about getting into a routine. I would aim to do SOMETHING 5-6 days a week. I'm trying to get my weight loss into gear so I'm on a 7 day-per-week schedule right now. Two of those days I work out in the morning AND at night. Once I've hit my goal I'll move to just maintaining the weight and not be so agressive - so I'll probably just stick to the 5-6 day rule at that point.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i was doing something 5-6 days a week (running, 30 day shred, bikram yoga), but since my half-marathon 2 weeks ago, i have been back down to 2-3 days a week (running). i need to get back into something other than running but i am feeling kind of lazy. :)
  • anonomnom
    Options
    7 days a week! Well if I'm feeling lazy I may only do yoga/ stretching one day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When I started I just logged minutes (90). I started with something I knew I could be consistant at (not beat myself up for missing a day, etc.). After those minutes became part of my routine ....... I added more minutes. Now, exercising 6 days a week is normal.

Sometimes when people start too fast - they burn out. Also, you will be more prone to injury if you try to do too much.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training 3 days a week (45 minutes) and hill sprints once a week. I spent a year as "cardio 6 days a week" girl (15 to 20 hours total per week), and that just wasn't getting it done. I was losing weight, but I was not changing my body composition. I was just a smaller version of the flabby old me.

I wish I had known from the beginning that I could get better results from lifting and HIIT in about 3 hours a week total. Would have saved me from some overtraining injuries, not to mention all the time I could have spent on other things.