Advice on NYC!!

Options
killerqueen17
killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
Hey everyone! I will be visiting NYC for 5 days in early December, and trying to think of some cool things to do/see! I have never been there before, so I'm super excited.

Anyone who has experience with NYC-- a resident or frequent visitor-- what are some cool places to visit that aren't the standard tourist fare? Obviously going to see all the standard tourist hot-spots, the Christmas tree, etc, but what are other places that may not be so widely known?

Things I like: quirky restaurants and coffee shops, hippie-related things, anything international/other cultures than my own, interesting (affordable) shops-- thrift shops too-- "diners and dives" that serve GOOD food... basically anything different, unique, fun... I'm pretty adventerous, so I'm not afraid of how a place looks on the outside as long as the people are friendly... Any reccomendations?? :bigsmile:

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love little italy. a few of the times we have gone, they have had the streets closed off and are having a festival. :)
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    go down to the west village. you will find tons of cool stuff to do. there are great little restaurants and a mile long used book sale. also, you have to do some touristy things while you are there.!! empire state building and rockafeller center.

if you have any questionslet me know! i went to NYU for grad school so i know the area relatively well and have fun!!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If I don't remember to get back to you... make sure to inbox me.... At work right now, but would love to give you some ideas... The one that comes to mind RIGHT AWAY: come visit us in Coney Island! You can google the Coney Island Polar Bear Club & come visit on a Sunday when the Club goes for a swim....
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The take out Deli in Grand Central Terminal has great food.

I went there in 2005 and had a great time. Have comfortable shoes!!

The audio tour of Ellis Island is very interesting. The Bronx zoo is good, the aquarium in Coney Island is too.

Have fun!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    make sure you hit the Met & some of the Chelsea galleries. I like the Marlborough gallery in Chelsea.. http://www.marlboroughgallery.com/chelseaindex.html. Canal street & Soho for shopping. midtown east & park slope in brooklyn probably have the best bars. It's getting cold out but NYC has a lot of rooftop bars/restaurants... you could do a google search for some of the more popular ones. hmm Prospect Park & Bryant Park & Central Park are pretty this time of year and have great ice skating if you're planning on coming around later. i def second the west village & little italy... best desserts in little italy. :) you could also look for improv shows around the city. they tend to be really good for some entertainment in the evenings or anytime really.

feel free to message me if you have any questions!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Empire State Building
    -Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
    -Rockefeller Center and the Top of the Rock Observation Deck, as well as the Christmas Tree (and a tour of NBC studios)
    -Times Square (no trip is complete without a visit to the"Crossroads of the World")
    -Lower Manhattan/Wall Street Area
    -United Nations
    -Central Park
    -Brooklyn Bridge (you can walk across it too)
    -Grand Central Terminal (largest railroad terminal in the country)
    -A Ride on the Staten Island Ferry (its free and you can see the Statue of Liberty as the ferry crosses the harbor)
    -Sightseeing tour on a Double Decker Bus
    -Broadway Show
    -Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall
    Ice skating at Bryant park
    Brooklyn bridge
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    make sure you hit the Met & some of the Chelsea galleries. I like the Marlborough gallery in Chelsea.. http://www.marlboroughgallery.com/chelseaindex.html. Canal street & Soho for shopping. midtown east & park slope in brooklyn probably have the best bars. It's getting cold out but NYC has a lot of rooftop bars/restaurants... you could do a google search for some of the more popular ones. hmm Prospect Park & Bryant Park & Central Park are pretty this time of year and have great ice skating if you're planning on coming around later. i def second the west village & little italy... best desserts in little italy. :) you could also look for improv shows around the city. they tend to be really good for some entertainment in the evenings or anytime really.

feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Oh and if you're looking for pretty much ANY type of cuisine.. NYC's def got it.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Chinatown

Central Park Zoo

South Street Seaport

Rockefeller Center

Twin Towers Memorial Park
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone!! I will definitely have to check out Little Italy for sure since I'm half Italian!! :)