Why am I gaining weight?! Heeeelp.

theroadto100
theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
edited October 4 in Motivation and Support
OKAY so my highest weight was 156 about a year ago. I started working out more and watching what I was eating and lost 20 pounds in a matter of months. I began getting frustrated when my weight loss started slowing down, and long story short, developed anorexia along with bulimic tendencies. My lowest weight was 123. I got the help I needed and I'm slowly recovering from my eating disorder, but unfortunately, my weight raised a bit. It got up to 130 when I was finally like, enough is enough. Since it hit 130 about a month ago, I've been much better/healthier. I go to the gym every day where I do about 40 minutes on the elliptical. I do a certain program on it called "weight loss", which does 4 minutes of low resistance, low incline, then 4 of high resistance, high incline. This alternates until the workout is done. I'll do a few minutes on the treadmill, varying speeds and inclines, sometimes I'll throw the stair climber in, then I'll do a bit of either arms, legs, or abs. I eat 1200 calories a day, plus some of my exercise calories, but I never go over my allotted count. I went a few weeks without weighing myself, and I stepped on the scale today expecting to be back under 130. I'm almost 140! I don't know WHAT I'm doing wrong. I don't think it's muscle because I don't do all that much to build muscle. But I don't see WHY I gained weight. Could I be working out too much..? Or anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting really frustrated and don't want to fall back into an eating disorder.

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    can you add sodium to your diary
  • theroadto100
    can you add sodium to your diary

Done :)
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Don't look at the scale! If you are working out and eating healthy and you feel good, you are probably where your supposed to be. If you need to have some validation, take your measurements instead.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    try this for a week or two and see what happens....cut your carb intake to about 100-120 grams a day (not by any means a low carb diet). increase your lean proteins by quite a bit and add more healthy, dietary fats (which, by the way, helps your body burn stored fat).

and, not that this really applies since you really haven't come all that close to eating back all of your calories from exercise....but how are you determining your calories burned by exercise? If its not by using a HRM, then the estimate is probably too high. you are doing a form of interval training and MFP (which isn't great for estimating calories anyway) doesn't have a means for accounting for interval training. Likewise, the machine you're using isn't all that accurate.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    I was going to say track your sodium too. High sodium foods will make you retain water which translates to weight. Also, it appears you skip either lunch or breakfast and eat a lot of 'snacks'. Try eating 3 meals and 3 snacks evenly spaced throughout the day. Check out my diary if you need ideas.
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    lifting weights will actual help you lose weight because it burns more fat (you may gain in the beginning, but its worth it in the end) and maybe you're not meant to be 100-105 lbs..
  • theroadto100
    try this for a week or two and see what happens....cut your carb intake to about 100-120 grams a day (not by any means a low carb diet). increase your lean proteins by quite a bit and add more healthy, dietary fats (which, by the way, helps your body burn stored fat).

and, not that this really applies since you really haven't come all that close to eating back all of your calories from exercise....but how are you determining your calories burned by exercise? If its not by using a HRM, then the estimate is probably too high. you are doing a form of interval training and MFP (which isn't great for estimating calories anyway) doesn't have a means for accounting for interval training. Likewise, the machine you're using isn't all that accurate.

I just put it into MFP with the exercise tracker. The machine always says I burn 30-70 calories more than MFP does, but I know that the machines are set for someone heavier than me. But I'll definitely try that for a week!
  • TMcBooty
    I always try to keep my sodium under 2,000 you seem to go over that or come very close often. Also I would stay around your recommended intake for calories which I think is 1440 and if you exercise only eat back half of your calories. Also, if you look at 10/16 the totals for that days across the board look good. Calories are just around the right amount, your fat to protein ratio is perfect (double protein to fat) and your carbs are under the amount they give. That's sort of a good thing to follow. And be consistant! Don't go over and then the next day be way under.
  • girlofgod
    girlofgod Posts: 12 Member
    I think you're too hung up on that silly scale! You should find a Bod Pod in your area and have your true body fat vs. lean mass calculated. If you have 95 lbs of lean mass - you're never going to be able to weigh 100 lbs and be healthy. Your goal should be measured by your overall body fat - not the scale. Every body is different! You should be able to Google "Bod Pod" in your area to find one. Ours only costs $25 and takes less than 20 minutes. Gives you a MUCH more realistic view of your overall health! I am only 5' 4" and have 115 lbs of lean mass. My ideal weight is around 150. So you should make sure that your goals are realistic before killing yourself!
  • bump
  • TMcBooty
    I was going to say track your sodium too. High sodium foods will make you retain water which translates to weight. Also, it appears you skip either lunch or breakfast and eat a lot of 'snacks'. Try eating 3 meals and 3 snacks evenly spaced throughout the day.

this!
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Megan: First thing, I would suggest looking at the type of foods you are consuming throughout the day and at what times. You want to make sure you keep a happy balance of Carb/Proteins/Fats in your diet. Any imbalance can throw your diet and unfortunately weight out of whack. Also, I would suggest eating smaller portions throughtout the day. Try an am breakfast followed by a snack (protein bar/shake -- again watch out for those that are laced with sugars and high in fats) then your lunch folllowed by a snack, then dinner followed by your last snack and leave a window of 2 hours before going to bed. You should try and allot 1.5-2 hours between each meal. You'd be surprised just how much this will make a difference overall.

In terms of workouts, don't be afraid to mix it up a little. A little bit of free weight work and core-center exercises will also help to tone and tighten areas and also help to burn more calories than just hitting the treadmill or elliptical. In fact, try starting your workout (3 days a week) with free weights or circuit training machines with an emphasis on those areas that are least desirable but areas you want to improve and then finish out with about 15-20 minutes on either treadmill or elliptical. Sometimes, it helps to trick the body and get out of the routine. And lastly, if you must weigh-in, try and do it at the same time each day. And take it easy, minor increases/decreases in your weight isn't the end of the world. There can be a variety of factors (water retention, stress, just to name a few) could contribute to spikes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    OKAY so my highest weight was 156 about a year ago. I started working out more and watching what I was eating and lost 20 pounds in a matter of months. I began getting frustrated when my weight loss started slowing down, and long story short, developed anorexia along with bulimic tendencies. My lowest weight was 123. I got the help I needed and I'm slowly recovering from my eating disorder, but unfortunately, my weight raised a bit. It got up to 130 when I was finally like, enough is enough. Since it hit 130 about a month ago, I've been much better/healthier. I go to the gym every day where I do about 40 minutes on the elliptical. I do a certain program on it called "weight loss", which does 4 minutes of low resistance, low incline, then 4 of high resistance, high incline. This alternates until the workout is done. I'll do a few minutes on the treadmill, varying speeds and inclines, sometimes I'll throw the stair climber in, then I'll do a bit of either arms, legs, or abs. I eat 1200 calories a day, plus some of my exercise calories, but I never go over my allotted count. I went a few weeks without weighing myself, and I stepped on the scale today expecting to be back under 130. I'm almost 140! I don't know WHAT I'm doing wrong. I don't think it's muscle because I don't do all that much to build muscle. But I don't see WHY I gained weight. Could I be working out too much..? Or anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting really frustrated and don't want to fall back into an eating disorder.

An eating disorder ruins your metabolism. It's going to take time for your body to repair it's metabolism and get back to proper functioning. Don't stress over it, you just need to give it time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Eating disorders catabolize lean muscle. That LOWERS your resting metabolic rate. If you lost enough, then you need to rebuild the muscle you lost. I would reduce the cardio for you to no more than 3 times a week and concentrate more on strength training to rebuild what you lost in terms of muscle. I'm not gonna lie that if you did this, you may gain more weight, but unfortunately you are now seeing the results of what an eating disorder can do to your body. Once you get some lean muscle back on, you'll start to notice that fat will be easier to lose.
  • Do not drink diet drinks!! Your taste buds register "sweet"! This causes your stomach to add in the enzymes needed to combat sugar. When there are no sugars to digest, your body then has to convert something else stored in your body into the sugar to rid the stomach of these enzymes. So not only did you get the cancerous effect of the fake sugars, but you just made a dose of sugar that exceeded the amount that you would have consumed in a "regular" form of your drink. If this happens with the sugars in diet drinks, my guess is it happens with many things we eat that contain "fake" sugars. The label says the lower calorie count, but your body has to deal with it in whatever form you give it. Our body was made to work with what it is given to process....and we are actually trying to fool our bodies, but we are really the fools in the end. Watch those fake sugars!!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    When I was much much younger I lost a great deal of weight doing some pretty unhealthy things. When I started eating healthy again, every pound stuck.. I think your body is just scared from what you did to it. Things will be fine, you just have to convince your body that your going to play nice from now on. Eat plenty of small meals, every three to four hours. Up your protein, lower your carbs and sugar and do some weights and be patient! Your body may just like being it''s current weight too. I know my body likes to be 130 I have to work really hard to get below 130 and even harder to stay there. You probably didn't put on the weight as muscle. Most women are lucky to put on five pounds of muscle a year unless they are training really hard. Also, if you are really good at the cardio, you are not burning the calories you think you are. Add weights. There is nothing more satisfying than lifting some weights. Cardio makes me flabby and good at running fast, weights make me firm and trim. Regardless of my weight I prefer my body when I am lifting weights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Do not drink diet drinks!! Your taste buds register "sweet"! This causes your stomach to add in the enzymes needed to combat sugar. When there are no sugars to digest, your body then has to convert something else stored in your body into the sugar to rid the stomach of these enzymes. So not only did you get the cancerous effect of the fake sugars, but you just made a dose of sugar that exceeded the amount that you would have consumed in a "regular" form of your drink. If this happens with the sugars in diet drinks, my guess is it happens with many things we eat that contain "fake" sugars. The label says the lower calorie count, but your body has to deal with it in whatever form you give it. Our body was made to work with what it is given to process....and we are actually trying to fool our bodies, but we are really the fools in the end. Watch those fake sugars!!

This entire post is 100% FALSE. Completely debunked, hundreds of times.
  • try eating just a bit more. You're body may be starving and need more calories. instead of 1200 calories (after workout) a day try around 1400-1500 calories a day. with the amount your working out your body may just need more energy and thinks its starving so it stores everything as fat ie weight gain.
  • theroadto100
    Thank you everyone! I'll definitely take all your advice
    Into consideration.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Do not drink diet drinks!! Your taste buds register "sweet"! This causes your stomach to add in the enzymes needed to combat sugar. When there are no sugars to digest, your body then has to convert something else stored in your body into the sugar to rid the stomach of these enzymes. So not only did you get the cancerous effect of the fake sugars, but you just made a dose of sugar that exceeded the amount that you would have consumed in a "regular" form of your drink. If this happens with the sugars in diet drinks, my guess is it happens with many things we eat that contain "fake" sugars. The label says the lower calorie count, but your body has to deal with it in whatever form you give it. Our body was made to work with what it is given to process....and we are actually trying to fool our bodies, but we are really the fools in the end. Watch those fake sugars!!

This entire post is 100% FALSE. Completely debunked, hundreds of times.
    Agree. So much mythology being passed around without the actual science to back it up.
This discussion has been closed.